PDA

View Full Version : PFT Rumor Mill about MM, Haslett

Mr. Miyagi
01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
It IS PFT, so take it with a grain of salt.

From ProFootballTalk Rumor Mill:

GRUMPY OLD MEN PUSHED MULARKEY

The talk in league circles this morning that Bills owner Ralph Wilson and new G.M. Marv Levy opted not to fire coach Mike Mularkey, but to instead bust the whipper-snapper's balls until he walked away on his own.

The reason? They wanted him out, but they didn't want to have to pay him for the final three years of his contract.

And the prime target to replace him, we're told, is former Bills Pro Bowler Jim Haslett.

Of course, there's only one minor glitch in that regard.

The Rooney Rule, which requires at least one minority candidate to be interviewed for each head coaching vacancy.

Maybe that's why defensive coordinator Jerry Gray wasn't fired last week with the rest of his staff. Maybe Wilson wants to interview Gray for the head coaching job . . . and then fire him. Or maybe Gray gets consideration to remain with the team as part of Haslett's staff if Gray agrees to interview for the vacancy.

And maybe that's why former Bills defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell is also being mentioned as a possible candidate for the job.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the Rooney Rule, the reality is that it must be complied with. Wilson, however, recently shrugged off the league's stated preference that the spirit of the rule also be applied when hiring a General Manager. The only man considered for that job in Buffalo was Levy.

The other potential glitch in the Wilson and Levy plan is that Haslett is getting genuine consideration for vacancies with the Lions and the Jets, where some league insiders believe that the supposed leading candidates (Russ Grimm and Eric Mangini, respectively) really aren't. Thus, by waiting a week to clear out Mularkey in order to save a few bucks, it's possible that Wilson and Levy have made it harder (and more expensive) to get the guy they apparently want.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Iehoshua
01-13-2006, 04:04 PM
A grain? I think a barrel of salt is necessary for that garbage.

Novacane
01-13-2006, 04:06 PM
pure speculation on thier part..........................as usual

JJamezz
01-13-2006, 04:42 PM
From the creators of thechappelletheory.com, it's The Mularkey Theory!

It actually makes too much sense to be true, if that makes any sense.... :dizzy:

Jan Reimers
01-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a bunch of Mularkey.

Dozerdog
01-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Marv Levy intentionally busting someone's Balls to force them to retire? C'mon- he's got way to much class for that.

It doesn't make any sense

RedEyE
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I actually believe the reverse. I think that Mularkey had every intention of accepting a full on pink slip and was even expecting it. Probably when he caught wind of TD being fired..

Then the mention of Marv retunring, he probably just knew that he was going to get canned and was going to walk with the remaining balance on his contract.

Then he realizes that they plan on retaining him. He's already placed in his mind that he's leaving, yet know he finds out that he isn't.

He tries planting a seed by suggesting to Marv and ralph that he's "mulling" over resigning. When he sees that they aren't just going to give him some sort of retention bonus or parachute, for that matter, he bails on the contract.

Michael82
01-13-2006, 07:05 PM
I actually believe the reverse. I think that Mularkey had every intention of accepting a full on pink slip and was even expecting it. Probably when he caught wind of TD being fired..

Then the mention of Marv retunring, he probably just knew that he was going to get canned and was going to walk with the remaining balance on his contract.

Then he realizes that they plan on retaining him. He's already placed in his mind that he's leaving, yet know he finds out that he isn't.

He tries planting a seed by suggesting to Marv and ralph that he's "mulling" over resigning. When he sees that they aren't just going to give him some sort of retention bonus or parachute, for that matter, he bails on the contract.
Good post. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Stewie
01-13-2006, 07:48 PM
yea this site is so way off base.. when does money have to do with anything related to football? never, exactly.. duh!!!

billsburgh
01-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Marv Levy intentionally busting someone's Balls to force them to retire? C'mon- he's got way to much class for that.

It doesn't make any sense
That's what Marv wants you to think. He's really an evil genius intent on overthrowing Ralph and taking over total control of this team so he can be owner, GM and coach.

Mr. Cynical
01-14-2006, 01:13 AM

:goodpost:

dolphinssuck
01-14-2006, 09:32 AM
That's what Marv wants you to think. He's really an evil genius intent on overthrowing Ralph and taking over total control of this team so he can be owner, GM and coach.:coocoo: