PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget about Special Teams

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Don't we know about ST's all to well

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/6145489

Jan. 23, 2003) -- There's no doubt the most publicized aspect of Super Bowl XXXVII is Oakland's offense against Tampa Bay's defense. And why not? It's the league's No. 1 offense against the No. 1 defense. But in football, you're usually only as good as your weakest link, especially in a game of this magnitude. That means it's time to look at an aspect of this matchup that will take third billing to offense and defense: special teams.

There will be about 30 special-teams plays in this game, which provides an awful lot of opportunities to win or lose. History says that these plays will have a critical effect on the outcome of the game. Last year, the Patriots beat the Rams by three points in one of the greatest Super Bowl upsets ever. In that game, New England's Adam Vinatieri connected on two field goals while St. Louis missed one of two. The Rams returned four kickoffs for 82 yards, but the Patriots ran back four for 100 yards. Which team wins this year's special-teams battle may once again create the edge needed to win the game. I talked with a few of the best special-teams coaches around the league about Oakland and Tampa Bay to find out what their thoughts were

shelby
01-24-2003, 04:32 AM
Janikowski=:bigmike:

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-25-2003, 02:00 AM
I wish we had him. That game against Buffalo this year, he kicked the ball in the endzone like every kickoff. I can't remember one that didn't reach the endzone. I don't think Rogers returned more than 2 kickoff's all day. It was amazing.