PDA

View Full Version : Bills Digest editor Chris Brown's thoughts

The Spaz
01-13-2006, 11:36 PM
While he probably didn't go about it the best possible way, it's tough to blame Mularkey for resigning. Despite the family concerns that he cited in his statement he quickly came to realize that it was going to be difficult for him to hire accomplished assistants who would know he was entering a make or break season as a head coach. Potential assistants did not see Buffalo as a secure coaching destination. That in turn would make Mularkey's upcoming season more difficult and make success even tougher to come by. The season likely would have played out similar to Gregg Williams final season in Buffalo (6-10) who was in the final year of a contract in 2003. Plus if Mularkey got off to an 0-2 start who would most of the fans be calling for to come down to the sidelines? Marv. That's a tough situation in which to work and be successful.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?post_id=114

Nighthawk
01-13-2006, 11:40 PM
While he probably didn't go about it the best possible way, it's tough to blame Mularkey for resigning. Despite the family concerns that he cited in his statement he quickly came to realize that it was going to be difficult for him to hire accomplished assistants who would know he was entering a make or break season as a head coach. Potential assistants did not see Buffalo as a secure coaching destination. That in turn would make Mularkey's upcoming season more difficult and make success even tougher to come by. The season likely would have played out similar to Gregg Williams final season in Buffalo (6-10) who was in the final year of a contract in 2003. Plus if Mularkey got off to an 0-2 start who would most of the fans be calling for to come down to the sidelines? Marv. That's a tough situation in which to work and be successful.
http://buffalobills.com/blog/?post_id=114

:goodpost:

vicmantak
01-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Sorry but no place offers a secure coaching destination.
NFL is not a paradise, Buffalo is not a paradise and to be frank, it's really great to know that Mularkey didn't bring this kind of mediocre coaches.

AndreReed83
01-14-2006, 02:26 AM
I wish Mularkey would have been more specific about why he was leaving rather then trying to make Buffalo sound like a super villain. When it comes down to it, he's the main man to fault, he wouldn't have to worry about bringing in better assistant coaches if he himself would have coached the team better.

John Doe
01-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Intentionally or not, in the end, Mularkey did what was best for the team and I thank him for that.

IAG
01-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Look in the mirror Bills fans....some Bills fans behavior at games is brutal. Buffalo is an awful combination: a small town atmosphere in a city. Also, there is only one pro team people care about. Lastly, fans feel they are such a part of the team that can say or do anything.

Bills fans need a reality check and go be with their family or find a hobby.

DynaPaul
01-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Look in the mirror Bills fans....some Bills fans behavior at games is brutal. Buffalo is an awful combination: a small town atmosphere in a city. Also, there is only one pro team people care about. Lastly, fans feel they are such a part of the team that can say or do anything.

Bills fans need a reality check and go be with their family or find a hobby.

You need a reality check.

The Bills fans ARE a part of the team. Buffalo is a football town and you seem to forget that the fans are the ones filling the seats, buying merchandise, and making the organization profitable. We ain't called the 12th Man for nothing. Look up on the wall inside Ralph Wilson Stadium and you'll see us there.

We fans only want one thing from our team - to be competitive every year. Do we expect to win the Super Bowl every year or be in the playoffs every year? No. All we want is something to cheer about. Of course there are going to be down years where nothing works out and you aren't in contention but the direction this team has taken over the past 5 years is simply unacceptable. So yeah, we aren't happy!

I'm sure that Mr. Wilson doesn't share your sentiments about the fans' passion for their team. Hell, the team could be in Los Angeles where people out there don't give a damn about their team and only show up when their team is top caliber. We fans are as passionate about our team as Packers fans are and they're pretty analagous to Buffalo as far as the local area and fanbase goes.

If you think Bills fans are brutal at games then you should go watch a Giants/Jets game at the Meadowlands or the Eagles in Veteran's Stadium. We're a sack of mild wings compared to those mobs.

Michael82
01-14-2006, 09:19 AM
You need a reality check.

The Bills fans ARE a part of the team. Buffalo is a football town and you seem to forget that the fans are the ones filling the seats, buying merchandise, and making the organization profitable. We ain't called the 12th Man for nothing. Look up on the wall inside Ralph Wilson Stadium and you'll see us there.

We fans only want one thing from our team - to be competitive every year. Do we expect to win the Super Bowl every year or be in the playoffs every year? No. All we want is something to cheer about. Of course there are going to be down years where nothing works out and you aren't in contention but the direction this team has taken over the past 5 years is simply unacceptable. So yeah, we aren't happy!

I'm sure that Mr. Wilson doesn't share your sentiments about the fans' passion for their team. Hell, the team could be in Los Angeles where people out there don't give a damn about their team and only show up when their team is top caliber. We fans are as passionate about our team as Packers fans are and they're pretty analagous to Buffalo as far as the local area and fanbase goes.

If you think Bills fans are brutal at games then you should go watch a Giants/Jets game at the Meadowlands or the Eagles in Veteran's Stadium. We're a sack of mild wings compared to those mobs.
Excellent Post! :bf1:

madness
01-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I just think not only did he got beat down by our classy fans but his family probably did too. I saw an article linking his concerns to Dungy's situation. There's a lot of hate in this world and I'm sure a lot of hate in Buffalo was directed towards him and his family.

Jan Reimers
01-14-2006, 09:47 AM
MM should try coaching in New York, Philly, or Oakland if he thinks the fans and media are vicious here.

madness
01-14-2006, 10:17 AM
It was more the situation then the location. It could have happened anywhere.

G. Host
01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
WGR, the Buffalo News and Rochester D&C have been for a long time been appealing to the anti-fans, the ones who claim to be fans-for-life but anytime something goes wrong are willing to pick up the pitchfork and stir up trouble. Such campaigns stir up recognition for the writers and inflate their egos. During the offseason they will post good news stories about Bills to generate optimism for the higher than can lift expectations, the easier it is to make them unhappy.

News is always mixed with opinion and slanted whether the writer likes that particular player or coach, the same facts (such as from press conferences) is represented completely different elsewhere.

The campaign was stirred up against Mularchy during season and there was no way for him to succeed.

gr8slayer
01-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Word to Mularkey. Cry me a freaking river.

Historian
01-14-2006, 12:10 PM
The campaign was stirred up against Mularchy during season and there was no way for him to succeed.

I don't know that I buy that. Don't get me wrong, the radio call in shows have their fair share of idiots, but I think the venom Williams, Phillips and Butler faced was far worse.

Even on these boards.

While I admire MM for looking out for his familiy's interests first, I do believe if he wants to continue to be a public figure, he needs to grow a thicker skin.

And this is only football.

Lucky thing he isn't our County Executive!

Typ0
01-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Were his kids getting beat up on the playground with a group of others yelling "run the ball"?

TigerJ
01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
I've heard lots of different reasons from various sources. If fan reaction was one of them, I don't think it would have been fan reaction to him personally. That as most of us would say copmes with the territory. However, I think he has kids in school in the Buffalo area. Knowing how brutal we can be, I can tell you that kids can be a whole lot worse. I don't know this for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if his kids were threatened with bodily harm and worse. Since my own son was so threatened in school, and experienced psychological scarring as a result, I can sympathize.

dplus47
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
I've heard lots of different reasons from various sources. If fan reaction was one of them, I don't think it would have been fan reaction to him personally. That as most of us would say copmes with the territory. However, I think he has kids in school in the Buffalo area. Knowing how brutal we can be, I can tell you that kids can be a whole lot worse. I don't know this for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if his kids were threatened with bodily harm and worse. Since my own son was so threatened in school, and experienced psychological scarring as a result, I can sympathize.

a big problem is this: we have all come to accept behavior like this as "just the way it is..." school was tough enough without people there getting on me about my dad. i can't imagine what it must have been like for mularkey's kids this past year.