PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone catch 'Coach Dickerson' on the radio?

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 09:51 AM
I read that he stated that we could possibly be looking at 'Marty ball'. Ie A trade for Marty S in Sandiego for the same 4th KC Gave up for edwards.

Now that would be WAY out there.

camelcowboy
01-14-2006, 10:25 AM
One, isn't marty ball just a style of ultra conservative football named after Marty, and two, bring in a coach who still has some color to his hair. Marthy, Marv, Ralph to old for my taste.

Bmax
01-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Could be possible.....I posted that a couple days ago..Marty is a former bill also going back to 1966 i believe......

Bmax

JJamezz
01-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I didn't hear the interview, but I read about it too. A lot of people don't like the Coach, but he generally doesn't just throw crap out there to see if it will stick - if it was his opinion or just what he would want to do, he'd be clear about that - so there's probably some truth to it, at least the Bills may have or may be exploring it. It's no secret that Marty and AJ Smith REALLY don't like each other.

I don't like the idea personally - Marty is really good at building a team, getting them to the playoffs, and then playing so convervatively that they never do very much.

What is the tie to Marv - Was Marv the Chiefs HC immediately before Marty? Were they on the staff at the same time?

Devin
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Why would we want Shott here?

So we can make the playoffs and lose each year?

TigerJ
01-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Shottenheimer's MO until the 2004 season was a ball control/field position game, but he found his roster just had too much talent at the offensive skill positions to keep playing Marty ball. The presence of all that talent forced him to open up the offence. He apparently liked the result. Whether or not he would revert to traditional Marty ball in Buffalo is an interesting question. You know he would be a solid coach. Whether or not he's the best alternative out there is debatable.

JJamezz
01-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Yeah, but when he's been in a big game, he has resorted back to his old ways, ultra-conservative Marty ball...

And if he can't successfully run that kind of offense with LT at RB, and a very good Oline, I think it shows you just can't be successful anymore in the league if you're too conservative.

G. Host
01-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I didn't hear the interview, but I read about it too. A lot of people don't like the Coach, but he generally doesn't just throw crap out there to see if it will stick - if it was his opinion or just what he would want to do, he'd be clear about that - so there's probably some truth to it, at least the Bills may have or may be exploring it. It's no secret that Marty and AJ Smith REALLY don't like each other.

I don't like the idea personally - Marty is really good at building a team, getting them to the playoffs, and then playing so convervatively that they never do very much.

What is the tie to Marv - Was Marv the Chiefs HC immediately before Marty? Were they on the staff at the same time?

No Dickerson does not just throw it like a monkey in a crap fight but eats it, creates it and tries to in general throw it around. Dickerson is full of crap, is made of crap and breathes crap.

I agree about Marty and playoffs.

And no Marv did not follow Marty. John Macovich and Frank Gansz followed Marv.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/year_by_year.pdf

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I will say this, Marty is VERY good at taking over bad franchises and making them playoff contenders each year. Isn't that where we need to get to before worrying about winning playoffs/ Superbowls?

I mean Hell at this point I want to be a playoff contender. Then one on a regular basis before worrying about anything else.

gr8slayer
01-14-2006, 11:36 AM
He would be an upgrade from our last coach.

DaBills
01-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Marty also has had the benefit of some decent talent under him to work with and management that backs him. But he's also like Edwards in a different regard. Great speeches. Great motivators. But they can't get over the hump.

"Could be possible.....I posted that a couple days ago..Marty is a former bill also going back to 1966 i believe......"

Marty was a LB with the Bills for four years 65-68, made the pro-bowl his first year here.

Historian
01-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Make that an upgrade over our last three coaches....