PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton to interview with the Bills

camelcowboy
01-14-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.billsinsder.com/ (http://www.billsinsider.com/)

Chris Mortensen has learned that Parcells has given permission to Sean Payton the qb coach of the cowboys to interview with the Bills. I know he's a name that has been thrown around, but im not sure if he would be my ideal canidate.

Devin
01-14-2006, 10:47 AM
as hc?

Lone Stranger
01-14-2006, 10:49 AM
He was highly recommended by Glenn Parker on his show yesterday on WGR.

JJamezz
01-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Next to them giving April a shot, Payton would be right up there on my list. I got to hear a lot about him here in the local media when he was with the Giants - he's very similar to Gruden, though I don't think he's quite as big a hard ass.

camelcowboy
01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Im not sure it doesn't say head, or Oc, but im assuming that they wouldn't hire the Cordinator before the coach, and isn't this the same guy who Fassel took away his playing calling the year they want to the superbowl?

Devin
01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
ugggggh.

camelcowboy
01-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I still think it turns out to be haslett.

TigerJ
01-14-2006, 10:57 AM
They won't be worrying too much about an OC until they have an HC. It almost has to be the HC job they're talking about. Payton's official title in Dallas this season was Assistant Head Coach/Passing Offence Coordinator. As Passing Game Coordinator and Quarterback Coach he got lots of production out of Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Bledsoe. You have to admit that's impressive. Plus he's no doubt been schooled in the Bill Parcells method. That can't hurt. I'm sure they could do a lot worse (like Green Bay).

Novacane
01-14-2006, 11:07 AM
. As Passing Game Coordinator and Quarterback Coach he got lots of production out of Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Bledsoe. ).

The guys sounds like a miracle worker. :snicker:

JJamezz
01-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I seem to remember Fassel taking the play calling duties back at some point too, but I could be wrong. But for the Superbowl season it was Payton's job.

Bmax
01-14-2006, 11:15 AM
You are correct my friend fassel did take away his play calling duties.. Don't get me wrong i think he could be a good coach..But with this team i think we need an experienced guy...Look for marv to promote that or himself for the job...

Bmax

Nighthawk
01-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I seem to remember Fassel taking the play calling duties back at some point too, but I could be wrong. But for the Superbowl season it was Payton's job.

This did happen, but this guy is thought of highly around the league and actually turned down the Raiders HC position before Norv Turner finally accepted it. He DID call the plays in Dallas this year, as Parcells had enough faith in him to turn over the play calling duties. Would not be a bad choice from what I'm reading from many sports outlets. He has learned from one of the best and that is a huge plus. Parcells does not seem to keep bad coaches on his staff, from what I've seen, so that has to mean something.

Nighthawk
01-14-2006, 11:17 AM
You are correct my friend fassel did take away his play calling duties.. Don't get me wrong i think he could be a good coach..But with this team i think we need an experienced guy...Look for marv to promote that or himself for the job...
Bmax

I think you might be correct Bmax and for that I may have to shoot myself if Marv becomes HC!:nervous:

madness
01-14-2006, 11:26 AM
That's funny... ESPN NFL Countdown said it was Maurice Carthon, OC for the Dallas Cowboys, that received permission to talk to the Bills. :idunno:

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Payton would be a damn good hire.

ZacGriffi~82
01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
That's funny... ESPN NFL Countdown said it was Maurice Carthon, OC for the Dallas Cowboys, that received permission to talk to the Bills. :idunno:

Carthon is the OC of the Browns.

gr8slayer
01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
People here in the Metro-Plex (Dallas) freaking love this guy. Alot of them wanted him to get the HC job before Parcells got here. I would love to have him come on. He is a no bull**** kind of guy, doesnt put up with dumbass veterans telling him how to run his team. A real hardass, kinda like Bill Cowher.

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 11:40 AM
People here in the Metro-Plex (Dallas) freaking love this guy. Alot of them wanted him to get the HC job before Parcells got here. I would love to have him come on. He is a no bull**** kind of guy, doesnt put up with dumbass veterans telling him how to run his team. A real hardass, kinda like Bill Cowher.

AND is a GREAT offensive mind that loves to run the ball and use play action. He will love JP

gr8slayer
01-14-2006, 11:44 AM
AND is a GREAT offensive mind that loves to run the ball and use play action. He will love JP
No doubt about it. He was the most pissed off guy when the Tuna got rid of Quincy.

Historian
01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
ugggggh.

I'll second that.

Another inexperienced candidate?

Why don't they just interview Stampy?

Typ0
01-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Marv's plan might be to hire all the coaching staff before the head coach...and then tell RW he's the only coach that will fit into the system.

Iehoshua
01-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Payton??? I'd rather have Haslett.

:puke:

lordofgun
01-14-2006, 01:05 PM
No doubt about it. He was the most pissed off guy when the Tuna got rid of Quincy.
Why is that a good thing?

ZacGriffi~82
01-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Why is that a good thing?

I really feel like Carter had potential..until the drug thing.

DaBills
01-14-2006, 01:18 PM
"Why don't they just interview Stampy?"

lol.

"And the new-look Bills break the huddle on the first play of a new era here in Buffalo. This crowd is going wild. And the Bills are punting on first down?"

hammerbillsfan
01-14-2006, 01:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2292226

Jeff1220
01-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Payton has a great reputation around the league and, seeing as how he's straight off the Parcells tree, I would not be upset if he were hired. He has a lot of respect around the league, according to most sports news I've read about him, which leads me to believe he'd attract a decent staff. If the Bills don't hire Payton, someone will.

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I'd take payton over Haslett. I don't care about a 'Popular' choice. I care about the RIGHT Choice and to me, out of the listed candidates, that is Payton.

He is a hard nosed, non BS coach and we need that. He is also a great offensive mind, we need that as well.

AndreReed83
01-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Oh gawd, anything from the Cowboys I will safely pass on.

Spiderweb
01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I'd take payton over Haslett. I don't care about a 'Popular' choice. I care about the RIGHT Choice and to me, out of the listed candidates, that is Payton.

He is a hard nosed, non BS coach and we need that. He is also a great offensive mind, we need that as well.

I agree, Payton would be a good choice. Haslett carries too many questions with him.

RedEyE
01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I don't know enough about him to comment.

DaBills
01-14-2006, 01:44 PM
It's such a freakin crapshoot anymore with OC's, DC's, etc. ****, we got burned on GW and MM at the same time Marvin Lewis, John Fox and Lovie are all doing well. And I don't recall the current crop of OCs/DCs being talked up like those three were at the time. Local talk around a team about how great a guy is is not the same thing as buzz around the league and in the national media about a guy.

I just don't think going the first-time coaching route may be best – again. The odds we get another DC or OC for HC that again turns out to be a ****head are probably lower. But damn, with our luck they'll turn out to be very high.

Call me crazy, but hear me out:

Jimmy Johnson, Art Shell, John Madden. It would take Ralph getting out the checkbook, and he may not be willing to, but I think Ralph needs to make as big a dramatic move in hiring a new HC as he did in bringing Marv back.

"But Jimmy likes fishing – he won’t give up his houseboat and his Fox gig."
Throw enough money at a guy and he can learn to ice fish while doing a segment from his office via satellite.

"Art Shell, no way."
Why? Because he's not warm and fuzzy with the press like Parcells? The guy’s 54-38 as a coach last time out under arguably the toughest and meddling owner around in Al Davis - next to Jerry Jones or Daniel Dee Scheinder. Only reason Art got fired was because he didn't win a SB for Al. But the guy was a helluva player and knows how to build a line. If people around the league are considering Singletary to go to the next level, then there's no excuse to NOT consider Art again.

"John Madden - are you freakin' nuts?"
Yes. But I'm trying to think outside the booth on this one. He'll be off MNF next year. He has the video game thing going, but the guy knows football. Can build a line on both sides of the ball and also dealt with the same pain-in-the ass owner in Davis – and he won Al that ring. He also knows how to deal with misfits and outcasts. I think he could deal with Moulds.

I like Marv as a last-resort, but even then, can he handle both duites of GM and HC?

Mr. Cynical
01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
As Passing Game Coordinator and Quarterback Coach he got lots of production out of Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Bledsoe. You have to admit that's impressive.

I can't tell - are you being serious or sarcastic?

TigerJ
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I was being serious. Quincy Carter is something of a head case, a good athlete but not a great QB. Testaverde is just a hop step and a jump from social security. and Bledsoe, well you know about him. Yet each year the Dallas passing game has been getting better.

That Guy
01-14-2006, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't disagree with getting Payton at all. There's a couple guys I'd rather have, but I think he's good.

AndreReed83
01-14-2006, 02:30 PM
"And the new-look Bills break the huddle on the first play of a new era here in Buffalo. This crowd is going wild. And the Bills are punting on first down?"

How many times did it feel like that actually did happen THIS season? :yucky:

ZacGriffi~82
01-14-2006, 02:36 PM
What? There is too many questions with Haslett and you want Payton?

Craaaaaaazy.

The_Philster
01-14-2006, 04:13 PM
An intriguing possibility :scratch:

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2006, 04:19 PM
I'll second that.
Another inexperienced candidate?
Why don't they just interview Stampy?

:rofl:

He isn't the one on this board who is trying to become a coach though.

Historian
01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
I don't know enough about him to comment.

That alone should speak volumes, Red.

:up:

Tatonka
01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Payton??? I'd rather have Haslett.

:puke:

me too.

RedEyE
01-14-2006, 04:40 PM
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid" height=540 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center height=150><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid" rowSpan=2>http://lb.dallascowboys.com/images/Payton_Sean_150.jpg</TD><TD class=white12pt style="PADDING-LEFT: 4px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid" width=297 bgColor=#324458 height=25>Sean Payton</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid" vAlign=top width=297 background=images/bio_bkg.gif height=125><TABLE class=white11pt style="PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=297 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=100>POSITION:</TD><TD width=197>Asst. Head Coach/Passing Game Coordinator</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>COLLEGE:</TD><TD>Eastern Illinois</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>NFL EXP:</TD><TD>9th Year</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>COWBOYS EXP:</TD><TD>3rd Year</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR vAlign=center bgColor=#324458 height=30><TD class=white11pt align=middle>COACH/EXECUTIVE BIOGRAPHIES: <SELECT class=black11pt id=selCoachID onchange="javascript<b">:changeBio();> <OPTION value=Jerry_Jones>Jerry Jones</OPTION> <OPTION value=Stephen_Jones>Stephen Jones</OPTION> <OPTION value=Jerry_Jones_Jr>Jerry Jones Jr</OPTION> <OPTION value=Bill_Parcells>Bill Parcells</OPTION> <OPTION value=Bruce_DeHaven>Bruce DeHaven</OPTION> <OPTION value=Gary_Gibbs>Gary Gibbs</OPTION> <OPTION value=Todd_Haley>Todd Haley</OPTION> <OPTION value=Joe_Juraszek>Joe Juraszek</OPTION> <OPTION value=David_Lee>David Lee</OPTION> <OPTION value=Mike_MacIntyre>Mike MacIntyre</OPTION> <OPTION value=Sean_Payton selected>Sean Payton</OPTION> <OPTION value=Kacy_Rodgers>Kacy Rodgers</OPTION> <OPTION value=Tony_Sparano>Tony Sparano</OPTION> <OPTION value=Mike_Zimmer>Mike Zimmer</OPTION> <OPTION value=Anthony_Lynn>Anthony Lynn</OPTION> <OPTION value=Paul_Pasqualoni>Paul Pasqualoni</OPTION> <OPTION value=Todd_Bowles>Todd Bowles</OPTION></SELECT> </TD></TR><TR height=360><TD bgColor=#324458><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: black 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1px solid" height=350 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=436 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=420 bgColor=white><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2>//specify speed of scroll (greater=faster)var speed=4iens6=document.all||document.getElementByIdns4=document.layersif (iens6){document.write('<div id="container" style="position:relative;width:420px;height:350px;overflow:hidden">')document.write('<div id="content" style="position:absolute;width:420px;left:0px;top:0px">')}</SCRIPT><ILAYER name="nscontainer" width="420" height="350" clip="0,0,420,350"><LAYER name="nscontent" width="420" height="350" visibility="hidden"><!--INSERT CONTENT HERE--><LINK href="../site_format.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=black11pt>
Sean Payton, regarded as one of the NFL's bright young offensive coaches, was named Assistant Head Coach/Passing Game Coordinator this year after two years as Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks. This fall, he will oversee a passing game that has risen from 31st in the league prior to his arrival to 17th in 2003 and 15th in 2004 as the club managed 214 yards-per-game last season, up from 164 in 2002.
In his first two seasons, Payton guided two different quarterbacks to 3,000-yard passing seasons, including a 3,532 yard performance from Vinny Testaverde last season - the third highest single-season passing total in club history. Testaverde opened the season with back-to-back 300-yard passing days and added a club-record tying third 300-yard game later in the season.
On the receiving end of this improved passing game was Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten, who set club records for receptions (87) and receiving yards (980) by a tight end. Witten finished the year second in the NFL in receptions and receiving yards by a tight end. Newcomer Keyshawn Johnson delivered 70 catches for 981 yards, giving Dallas two players with over 900 receiving yards for the first time since 1985. In Payton's first season with Dallas, Quincy Carter became the fifth quarterback in Cowboys history to pass for more than 3,000 yards and the first since Troy Aikman in 1997. He was also the first Dallas quarterback to direct the Cowboys to both a double digit victory total (10-6 record) and a playoff berth since

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

looks like a goof to me...nothing stick out in his Bio.