PDA

View Full Version : ICE

Devin
01-14-2006, 02:14 PM
What is it about Payton that makes you think hed be a good HC?

lordofgun
01-14-2006, 02:16 PM
If he can get Quincy Carter to throw for 3,000 yards...

AndreReed83
01-14-2006, 02:20 PM
He was okay with Quincy, did horrible with Testaverde (it's hard to blame him for that though), and Bledsoe returned to normal once the season went along and the offensive line started getting hurt. Maybe in the future, but he's not even an offensive coordinator or anything. It'd be quite a stretch to basically hire a glorified QB coach.

Devin
01-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Where is Quicncy Carter now?

Devin
01-14-2006, 02:21 PM
He was okay with Quincy, did horrible with Testaverde (it's hard to blame him for that though), and Bledsoe returned to normal once the season went along and the offensive line started getting hurt. Maybe in the future, but he's not even an offensive coordinator or anything. It'd be quite a stretch to basically hire a glorified QB coach.

I feel the same thats why im asking, a little curious what makes him so special.

The_Philster
01-14-2006, 04:09 PM
rehab? :idunno:

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Payton can't stop Q from doing drugs so lets end that now. Payton is an old school type of guy. No BS and will run a tight ship, something sorely lacking. He did a great job with the offense in NYG and has done very well in Dallas.

I just think the guy can do a hell of a job.

Now my top pick is and has been Sherman, but sherman has knocks on him as well. Look if a guy is available to be a HC he is going to have some knocks on him. Marv did when he came to Buffalo, so will any candidate we interview.

Devin
01-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Payton can't stop Q from doing drugs so lets end that now. Payton is an old school type of guy. No BS and will run a tight ship, something sorely lacking. He did a great job with the offense in NYG and has done very well in Dallas.

I just think the guy can do a hell of a job.

Now my top pick is and has been Sherman, but sherman has knocks on him as well. Look if a guy is available to be a HC he is going to have some knocks on him. Marv did when he came to Buffalo, so will any candidate we interview.

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt he like 35 or something he cant be that old school. And didnt Fassell actually take away some of his duties while with the NYG?

RedEyE
01-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Here's his profile:

Nothing sticks out to me and he looks like a goof....

http://www.dallascowboys.com/images/Sean_Payton_star.gif

Coach Profile

Sean Payton, regarded as one of the NFL's bright young offensive coaches, joins the Cowboys as Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks in 2003. He comes to Dallas after four years with the New York Giants, the last three as their offensive coordinator. In Dallas, he will oversee the club's passing game while working with the quarterbacks.
Under Payton's tutelage, the Giants had one of the NFL's most productive offenses, while quarterback Kerry Collins posted franchise-record passing numbers. The Giants finished the 2002 season as the NFL's sixth ranked offense, averaging 364.1 yards a game. It was the Giants' highest ranking since the 1985 team finished fifth in the NFL in offense with an average of 367.8 yards a game. Behind Collins' career-high and club-record 4,073 passing yards, New York finished as the NFL's sixth ranked passing offense. Collins also established a club record with 335 pass completions on the year. Under Payton, Collins became one of the most productive quarterbacks in Giants history. In 58 games with the Giants, including 55 starts, Collins stands third on the team's career list in pass attempts (1,973), third in completions (1,163), fourth in passing yards (13,765) and fifth in touchdown passes (68). Collins set an NFL record by becoming the first quarterback in league history to throw every one of his team's passes in two consecutive seasons (2000-2001). He threw a league-record 1,852 consecutive regular season passes for the Giants before the streak was broken on Dec. 15, 2001 against Dallas.

see link for more

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_coach_sean_payton.cfm

Devin
01-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Pass.

Comeback in 3-5 when you have more experience.

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Pass.

Comeback in 3-5 when you have more experience.

How many years coaching exp did Marv have when he came here? Not much more than the 7 payton has.

Devin
01-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Marv had been around football in manhy different forms probably since before Payton was born.

Pass.

AndreReed83
01-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Marv had two seasons of being an assistant on good Redskin teams. 5 years head coaching in the CFL (where he won two Gray Cups), 5 or so years of head coaching the Chiefs. I'd say quite a bit more then Payton.

It's not that I don't like Sean, but he needs more experience to even warrant a head coaching spot, in my opinion.

Historian
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I just finished his book.

Marv had been a Head Coach in some capacity since 1960.

Sorry ICE, there's no comparison.

Devin
01-14-2006, 05:01 PM
:bf1:

gr8slayer
01-14-2006, 05:02 PM
How many years coaching exp did Marv have when he came here? Not much more than the 7 payton has.
Did you read his book? He had 30 freaking coaching jobs before he became our coach.

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
I still don't have an issue with payton.

Devin
01-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Looks like Mularkey 2 to me.

But whatever.

gr8slayer
01-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Looks like Mularkey 2 to me.

But whatever.
Ouch. That's a low blow.

ICE74129
01-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Yeah I guess I missed it somewhere that looks are what determines a HC....:coocoo:

Michael82
01-14-2006, 07:07 PM
the main reason i would want him here is because he's a Bill Parcells guy. He comes off the Bill Parcells coaching tree. Plus, he's a hard nosed coach and thats what we need. But I would prefer Maurice Carthon over him.

Tatonka
01-15-2006, 12:14 AM
haslett is a hard nosed guy too and that doesnt mean anything.. he still isnt a winning coach..

i dont get the fansination with payton either... he got a couple qbs to play ok for a short amount of time.. so did mularkey.. that worked out well..

his own head coach took away his play calling ability while in new york..

actually you know who payton reminds me of.. Tom Clements.. same exact story for both of them.

Iehoshua
01-15-2006, 12:17 AM
haslett is a hard nosed guy too and that doesnt mean anything.. he still isnt a winning coach..

i dont get the fansination with payton either... he got a couple qbs to play ok for a short amount of time.. so did mularkey.. that worked out well..

his own head coach took away his play calling ability while in new york..

actually you know who payton reminds me of.. Tom Clements.. same exact story for both of them.
I remember the story of Payton in NY too. :down:

What's wrong with someone like Fassel? Lead his team to the Superbowl and playoffs multiple times... Has passion for the game...

ScottLawrence
01-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Why you asking Ice?

Paytons a moron.

He got his play calling duties taking away in both Dallas, and New York.

And when they got taken away in New York, the Giants offense suddenly began to look a lot better under Fassels play calling as opposed to Paytons, and the team rallied to make the playoffs in 2002.

He'd be a bad choice.

My top choice is Donnie Henderson.

Second to him is the Bears DC.

Bmax
01-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Just say no to rookie coaches for the bills..Marv and ralph will pick a guy with experience ...Trust me....

Bmax...

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2006, 12:42 AM

Wegemann's. Aisle 4.

Michael82
01-15-2006, 08:02 AM
I remember the story of Payton in NY too. :down:

What's wrong with someone like Fassel? Lead his team to the Superbowl and playoffs multiple times... Has passion for the game...
I really like Jim Fassel myself and if he can get Kyle Boller to start looking good, like he did at the end of the season...he's a smart guy. :up:

Tatonka
01-15-2006, 09:11 AM
so because fassel got boller to play good for 3 games out of 16, we should go after him?

he just seems like one of the same old retreats that no one else is interested in.

although at least we know he would definately keep mcnally.. didnt we get him from fassels staff after he got canned..

ShadowHawk7
01-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Sherman or Haslett por favor.