PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts after Saturday's games

ghz in pittsburgh
01-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Looking at the performance of Jake Plummer and Hasselbeck, it makes me wonder how long we are going to hold on to JP. It took 5-6 years for both of them to where they are today under stable environment. Roethlisberger is a rare case; it was really a big mistake on TD and MM's part to look at Big Ben's success to project Losman and then base our season on that assumption ...

I always believe that the way to beat NE is to pressure Brady, pressure Brady, and pressure Brady. Denver got burned a couple of times but stayed on it. When the Bills played in NE this year, they kept blitzing and made it a much closer game. The 2nd game in Buffalo, Gray stayed back and Brady picked them apart easily. Sure you'll get beat, sometime look real bad, in keeping pressuring Brady, but that is the only chance, I'm afraid. Able to stopping the run just make the matter that much simpler.

The team that can run wins, especially on short yardage. For Seattle, even without Alexander, third and 2 or less is almost a given, against the defensive power house Washington, no less. Denver is almost the same despite their failure on the drive that ended on the 5 yard line in the first half. This has to be the number one improvement agenda for the new coaching staff on Bills offense next season: able to convert 3rd and short without trick plays - meaning QB sneak and passing.

DaBills
01-14-2006, 11:29 PM
I'd agree with a lot of that. But the reverse adage is true too: the teams that can stop the run, especially in critical 3rd-and-short situations, have control of the game.

I think while Jake looked good, even in defeat, Brady had some really good numbers, forgetting the TO's. But I think that that was Denver's Super Bowl tonight that they played. They had to play near perfect to beat the Pats, and from here, I think it's a letdown. They were hugging and high-fiving like it's in the bag, and I think they're happy just to get to this point.

But, Denver gave the blueperint for beating BRady. Not just CONSTANT pressure on him, but cover his WR's TIGHT. Even if they catch it, limit the yards after. NO YAC FOR YOU! Even doing that, Pats still managed to make gains.

Washnigton needs a QB. Brunell looked about as agile as Bledsoe out there. Seattle has a decent QB in Hasselback. He can manage a game. They also proved they can adapt when losing their star. Cinncy couldn't.