• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Here we go again with the "catch" rule

So once again, if you catch the ball with two feet on the ground and show possession yet bobble it when you hit the ground, should it be a catch?
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Re: Here we go again with the "catch" rule

....guess not

Comment

• hydro014
      • May 2004

That was a BAD call!!!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

The rule needs to be revised.....too many non-catches are catches and vice-versa.

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
          The rule needs to be revised.....too many non-catches are catches and vice-versa.
          is it the rule or the interpretation?? The rule exists...just enforce it.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
            Maybe?
            • Oct 2003

The rule sucks.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

The rule sucks.
              everything was easy before replay. catch the ball and two feet touch then it is a catch...if the ball got dislodged by anything, including the ground, no catch...simple.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• FirstDownBills
                Your rebirth can't hurt
                • Dec 2005

So once again, if you catch the ball with two feet on the ground and show possession yet bobble it when you hit the ground, should it be a catch?
                What are you talking about? The interception that was ruled an incomplete pass? When did he bobble it? The replay show he had full possession while rolling on the ground which is a football move. It's just as he was getting up to make another football move his knee popped the ball out. But the referee's interpretation was that his other knee was still on the ground when the ball came out so therefore it was ruled an incomplete pass which makes no sense to me. The rule does not need to be revised, it's the referees who need another rulebook class.

Marv Levy Era

Regular Season Record: 0-0-0
                Playoff Record: 0-0
                Super Bowl Appearances: 0
                Super Bowl Wins: 0

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by FirstDownBills
                  the referee's interpretation was that his other knee was still on the ground when the ball came out so therefore it was ruled an incomplete pass which makes no sense to me.
                  That's just it - assuming his other knee was on the ground when he lost the ball, according to the rules that constitutes a non-catch. I agree that the call itself was bad, i.e., he lost the ball *after* making the catch, but the rule about it being a non-catch if you lose it while you have a knee on the ground (even tho you show possession before that point) is what I think needs to be changed.

Two feet (or knee) on the ground with possession of the ball should = catch. It happens all the time where a WR catches it with a toe tap and then flies out of bounds. The same rule should apply in bounds as well. That's my opinion and isn't going to change (not saying this directly to you...just in general)

P.S. You are right about my term bobble...I didn't mean to say that. However the spirit of the debate is still about the same idea, i.e., when is a catch a catch.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

You all forget Rule 59, section 4, paragraph 6b: "Any questionable calls involving Peyton Manning must be ruled in his favor."
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• dplus47
                      • Sep 2005

that interception was one of the worst calls i have ever seen. as a poster at finheaven pointed out: how do you roll over and keep your knees on the ground the whole time? the ref pulled that one from somewhere, and it wasn't the rulebook or even the spirit of the rulebook.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                        • Sep 2003

I'd really like to see an official NFL explanation, but I won't hold my breath.
                        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
                          You all forget Rule 59, section 4, paragraph 6b: "Any questionable calls involving Peyton Manning must be ruled in his favor."
                          I guess his petition to the league to insert his name and remove "New England Patriots" must have worked. New England got jobbed this week for the first time in recent memory.
                          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

Comment

• mybills
                            81 st zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                            New England got jobbed this week for the first time in recent memory.
                            Not a single penalty or ruling was going to change the outcome.
                            NE sucked (period)!
                            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                              • Sep 2003

Not one, but two. The first Denver TD was bogus, since the PI should have been called on the offensive player instead of the defensive player. The fumble into the endzone gave them another TD when it was ruled out at the 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X