PDA

View Full Version : Why not just blitz 7 or 8 on every down?

Ebenezer
01-15-2006, 03:15 PM
I've asked this before when talking with folks. The average pass play takes 3-4 seconds at the least. Marino and Manning were two of the few that could get the quick play off. If Indi couldn't solve the 7 or 8 man blitz then why don't teams just blitz every down. I would bet that at least 26 NFL teams couldn't have run or thrown against that defense on Indi's last play.

FirstDownBills
01-15-2006, 04:01 PM
I've asked this before when talking with folks. The average pass play takes 3-4 seconds at the least. Marino and Manning were two of the few that could get the quick play off. If Indi couldn't solve the 7 or 8 man blitz then why don't teams just blitz every down. I would bet that at least 26 NFL teams couldn't have run or thrown against that defense on Indi's last play.

Because blitzes can easily be exposed on a simple screen pass or hot route. You have so many guys rushing the line that a simple screen will go for 15-20 yards.

ZacGriffi~82
01-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Did you watch the Bills this year?

FirstDownBills
01-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Did you watch the Bills this year?

Yes, and they were always too stubborn or stupid to audible the play. Thats why the blitz looks effective on every down. But in reality it is not ideal to blitz on every down to a smart team.

Historian
01-15-2006, 04:06 PM
You gotta have the horses...

Ebenezer
01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Yes, and they were always too stubborn or stupid to audible the play. Thats why the blitz looks effective on every down. But in reality it is not ideal to blitz on every down to a smart team.
so, Indi is not a smart team??

FirstDownBills
01-15-2006, 04:16 PM
so, Indi is not a smart team??

Not today they weren't. Peyton looked like Eli out there.