PDA

View Full Version : April Interviews

vicmantak
01-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Ralph Wilson told the Rochester D&C that the Bills have conducted their first interview for the head coaching job. Special teams coordinator Bobby April has already interviewed for the job. Wilson called him very good. April would likely stay on as special teams coordinator if another coach was hired.

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#011506

Turf
01-15-2006, 11:40 PM
The question remains, what the hell does Ralph know.

kgun12
01-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Someone tell why this guy deserves to be a head coach PLEASE! These are his previous coacking jobs:

Coaching History
2004- Buffalo Bills
(Special Teams Coordinator)
2001-03 St. Louis Rams
1996-99 New Orleans Saints
1994-95 Pittsburgh Steelers
1991-93 Atlanta Falcons
(Tight Ends/Special Teams)
Eight Weeks
1990 Ohio State
(Secondary)
1987-90 University of Southern California
(Secondary/Kicking)
1980-86 University of Arizona
(Defensive Line/Secondary)
1979 Tulane University
(Tight Ends)
1978 Southern Mississippi
(Graduate Assistant)
1976-77 Chalmette High School
(Assistant Coach)

He hasn't even been a OC OR DC let only a head coach. Yes he has done a great job with special teams BUT PLEASE!

:rage:

njsue
01-16-2006, 12:03 AM
It is crucial that Bobby April remain Bills Special Team Coach. He has done a terrific job with the Special Teams Unit. I would increase his salary.

mchurchfie
01-16-2006, 12:56 AM
How does a special teams coach merit being a headcoach????

AndreReed83
01-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Someday in the future, he'll be a head coach. Hasn't done quite enough yet to warrant it though.

vicmantak
01-16-2006, 04:19 AM
I voted NO but if Mr. Ralph Wilson and Mr. Marv Levy want to increase April's role in this team, it might be from a double role in ST and TE's...

This move will solidify his important role on Bills organization and it also allows a significant upgrade on his salary.

The_Philster
01-16-2006, 05:07 AM
You guys are right...I mean, noone who's served as a special teams coach without being an NFL coordinator as well could ever do a good job as a head coach :rolleyes:
120-78 is a putrid overall record, right?

gr8slayer
01-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Why would you want April has our HC? Coaching ST's and coaching a whole NFL team are two very different things.

TigerJ
01-16-2006, 08:25 AM
You guys are right...I mean, noone who's served as a special teams coach without being an NFL coordinator as well could ever do a good job as a head coach :rolleyes:

Hmm. Who was a special teams coach who went on to be a head coach without first being a coordinator, and compiled a 120-78 record? It couldn't have been Marv Levy could it?

They're right you can't possibly go from being a special team coach to head coach.

How quickly they forget.

RedEyE
01-16-2006, 08:53 AM
This is a great way to reward one that has exceeded expectations. April may not be worthy of an HC position just yet, but this interview proves that he is headed in the right direction. I applaude Marv and Ralph for absorbing tiume apporpriately. April will be honored to interview for the position, and in return keep giving the Bills more than what is expected of him.

Historian
01-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Hmm. Who was a special teams coach who went on to be a head coach without first being a coordinator, and compiled a 120-78 record? It couldn't have been Marv Levy could it?

They're right you can't possibly go from being a special team coach to head coach.

How quickly they forget.

Unfortunately, in his first stint as Head Coach in the NFL, his record was:

31- 42

Buffalo's Last Playoff apearance: 6 years ago
Buffalo's Last Division Title: 10 years ago

Anyone willing to wait for another first time HC to develop?

Not me.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-16-2006, 09:35 AM
This guy better be retained as special teams coach, that is all I know.

ublinkwescore
01-16-2006, 09:58 AM
How does a special teams coach merit being a headcoach????

Marv Levy and Bill Cowher were special teams coaches wiseguy.

BFLOBILLSBURGH
01-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Why would you want April has our HC? Coaching ST's and coaching a whole NFL team are two very different things.

Do some research before you say something stupid like this. Bill Cowher was a special teams coach. He turned out to be pretty good. Did you happen to see Pittsburgh beat the Colts yesterday. I would not object to April, but it is all about coordinators.

Mr. Cynical
01-16-2006, 10:33 AM

:lmao:

Great post.

:posrep:

That Guy
01-16-2006, 10:39 AM
His history looks pretty good to me. He's seen a lot of different teams, coached a lot of different positions. That's good enough experience for me. Hopefully he has the natural head coaching ability that some others lacked (Gregg). Obviously we've already learned that being a master of offense or defense doesn't guarantee success.

ParanoidAndroid
01-16-2006, 11:09 AM
A lot of being a head coach, as it seems to me, is getting your players to trust you and basically do what you ask of them. Bobby April does that better than any coach I've seen on the Bills' sideline since Marv left.
The only thing I ask is that they interview everyone they possibly can and if April is their choice, then we'll just have to trust in Marv.
He's not my first choice, but he wouldn't be a bad one IMO.

gr8slayer
01-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Do some research before you say something stupid like this. Bill Cowher was a special teams coach. He turned out to be pretty good. Did you happen to see Pittsburgh beat the Colts yesterday. I would not object to April, but it is all about coordinators.
Ok and how many ST coaches have had success in the NFL compared to coordinators or former HC's?

mchurchfie
01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Marv Levy and Bill Cowher were special teams coaches wiseguy.Cowher was also a DC for KC for the longest time also. Marv's first coaching stint wasn't exactly stellar with KC. When he came to Buffalo he had Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Reed and much other talent to work with. Sorry, but I don't feel like going through the growing pains of another rookie coach.

kgun12
01-16-2006, 01:13 PM

How quickly they forget.

Your right, but less we forget he was also a head coach in the CFL's (Montreal Alouettes) horrible in his first stint as an NFL head coach. He came to the Bills with a very good front office and a couple of great draft classes. Cowher was DC in KC. I like April, but I don't think we are willing to give another coach time to learn on the fly. If he was made OC or DC I would have no problem with that, but he has never been a head coach anywhere. Your arguement is comparing apples to oranges! No we haven't forgot, but we do understand!

mybills
01-16-2006, 01:42 PM
I'd keep him him on ST. The last DC we got failed at HC and the last OC we got failed at HC. Why don't they get a HC to be our HC?

ublinkwescore
01-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, in his first stint as Head Coach in the NFL, his record was:
31- 42
Buffalo's Last Playoff apearance: 6 years ago
Buffalo's Last Division Title: 10 years ago
Anyone willing to wait for another first time HC to develop?
Not me.

Just out of curiosity, when he did coach the Chiefs, did he have anywhere near the talent that he got his hands on in Buffalo?

AndreReed83
01-16-2006, 03:03 PM

:goodpost: :lmao:

Historian
01-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, when he did coach the Chiefs, did he have anywhere near the talent that he got his hands on in Buffalo?

1978-1982.

He was fired after the strike season of 1982.

1978- 4-12
1979- 7-9
1980- 8-8
1981- 9-7
1982- 3-6

In KC he had good drafts, but according to his book, he had a meddling GM.

QB time was split between Bill Kenney and Steve Fuller. He drafted Art Still, Deron Cherry, and Joe Delaney (who died)