PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain to me why you want Jim Haslett as HC?

imbondz
01-16-2006, 11:11 AM
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead bgColor=#c6a876><TD colSpan=16>Since all we have to judge him on is his stint in NO. Why would you even
consider him over Mike Sherman?

Career Record
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left>YEAR</TD><TD align=left>TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>W</TD><TD>L</TD><TD>T</TD><TD>PCT</TD><TD>POSTW</TD><TD>POSTL</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.188</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.500</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=left>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.500</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD align=left>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.563</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2001</TD><TD align=left>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.438</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD align=left>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.625</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left>CAREER</TD><TD align=left>6 years</TD><TD>96</TD><TD>45</TD><TD>51</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.469</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

WIN 45 | LOSS 51

I will be so disappointed if Haslett is hired.

imbondz
01-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Let's look at Sherman's record:

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead bgColor=#294239><TD colSpan=16>Career Record</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left>YEAR</TD><TD align=left>TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>W</TD><TD>L</TD><TD>T</TD><TD>PCT</TD><TD>POSTW</TD><TD>POSTL</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.250</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.625</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.625</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.750</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2001</TD><TD align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.750</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.563</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left>CAREER</TD><TD align=left>6 years</TD><TD>96</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>39</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.594</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

imbondz
01-16-2006, 11:16 AM
period.

ICE74129
01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Dude you don't understand. Because Jim Haslett was a probowl LB here that = Automatic Success as a HC. Haven't you figured out Buffalo and it's fanbase yet?

It doesn't matter that his teams got worse, that he sucked as a HC and just like MM he lost his locker room this year. Just because he is a 'Buffalo Boy' that is good enough.

I look at Mike Sherman, Al Saunders and even Sean Payton well before Haslett.

gr8slayer
01-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Sherman also had the luxury of having Brett Favre.

hydro014
01-16-2006, 11:32 AM
We'll i can tell you that i dont like Sherman. He had a bunch of pro bowlers the last few years in the weakest division and still could get far in the playoffs. The only two reason IMO that he even went to the playoff was b/c Farve and they had DET, CHI and MIN in their division. At least he had players to work with, Haslett had to deal with sub-par managment, sub-par players and Kitrina this year.

I am not a fan of bringing Haslett in hear to be our HC, but I like him better than Sherman. Here is some other info on what Packers fans thought about Sherman, and look at ESPN approval ratings of the two, Sherman was one of the lowest in the league last year:

http://www.packers.com/fans/polls/in...20060102140559

Here is Hasletts approval ratings.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sports...ach?coachId=15 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/coach?coachId=15)

Here is Shermans Approval ratings:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sports...ach?coachId=26 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/coach?coachId=26)

Mike Mularkeys:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sports...ach?coachId=43

Another thing that i dont like about Sherman is his play calling, like MM, he has had some issues with play calling this year.

gr8slayer
01-16-2006, 11:33 AM
That's not to say he is a bad coach by any means. But when you have Aaron Brooks how can you win?

Throne Logic
01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't want Haslett for the same reason this thread was started. I'm not high on Sherman either, for the reason's Hydro pointed out.

Definitely don't want Norv Turner, or Mike Tice, or Mike Martz, or basically anyone who was recently fired - 'cuz they all deserved to get fired this year.

I want Bobby April. He wants to move up, he's proven he can handle the coordinator job well. He seems to be well liked by everyone in and out of the organization. April comes from the same coaching roots as Marv does. Plus, he already knows who's who and what's what on the team. He's in the best position to tweak this team out of any other candidate not already wearing Stripy on the left breast of his sweater.

Bmax
01-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I know it's hard for some of you to understand so .. i will be simple NO ROOKIE HEAD COACHES...Got it thanks.....

That's the way ralph and the bills players feel.....A guy with experience really helps the bills...He doesn't have to guess he knows... It's all about relationship when it comes to hiring people . You are generally more comfortable with people you know. I have gotten most of my jobs in the past twenty years by knowing someone inside the compaines i worked for. Or someone recommended me..

Ralph likes haslett...He always has .. the only issue will be money.. And if we can split the first years salary with NO then we may have no problems..Sherman will also command big bucks... So i just can't see ralph who wants to win now, investing time and money on a unproven coach or someone he is not comfortable with. I may be wrong but it seems haslet will be the guy especially since he is no longer a finalist in NY or Detriot.. It could be worst we could be looking at Mike Tice....

BMAX

Mr. Cynical
01-16-2006, 12:36 PM
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" bgcolor="#c6a876"><td colspan="16">Since all we have to judge him on is his stint in NO. Why would you even
consider him over Mike Sherman?

Career Record
</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left">YEAR</td><td align="left">TEAM</td><td>G</td><td>W</td><td>L</td><td>T</td><td>PCT</td><td>POSTW</td><td>POSTL</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">2005</td><td align="left">New Orleans Saints</td><td>16</td><td>3</td><td>13</td><td>0</td><td>.188</td><td>--</td><td>--</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2004</td><td align="left">New Orleans Saints</td><td>16</td><td>8</td><td>8</td><td>0</td><td>.500</td><td>--</td><td>--</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">2003</td><td align="left">New Orleans Saints</td><td>16</td><td>8</td><td>8</td><td>0</td><td>.500</td><td>--</td><td>--</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2002</td><td align="left">New Orleans Saints</td><td>16</td><td>9</td><td>7</td><td>0</td><td>.563</td><td>--</td><td>--</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">2001</td><td align="left">New Orleans Saints</td><td>16</td><td>7</td><td>9</td><td>0</td><td>.438</td><td>--</td><td>--</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2000</td><td align="left">New Orleans Saints</td><td>16</td><td>10</td><td>6</td><td>0</td><td>.625</td><td>1</td><td>1</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left">CAREER</td><td align="left">6 years</td><td>96</td><td>45</td><td>51</td><td>0</td><td>.469</td><td>1</td><td>1</td></tr></tbody></table>

WIN 45 | LOSS 51

I will be so disappointed if Haslett is hired.
You can't include this past year with all that happened. Vince Lombardi wouldn't have made a difference. So, his career record is really 42-38...a winning record.

He has only had Blake and Brooks as his QBs since being the coach. Talk about garbage. I don't know how much input he had on Brooks, but even if he did lobby to get him, it is the GM's ultimate responsibility, not the HC.

So IMO, Haz is a legit choice. Is he my favorite? No, Cowher, Gruden, Belichick, Fox or Lewis would be my favorites. But that ain't happening so we have to lower our standards a bit. Haz or Sherman are at the bottom of the first tier coaches but leaps above MM.

Wolffman
01-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Look at playoff wins. Haslett had only 1, but Sherman 2. And thats WITH Farve, Green, etc.

OpIv37
01-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Haslett has HC experience. He had nothing to work with in NO. None of the other options are all that stellar, either.

Also, how many NE fans really wanted Bellicheck after the disaster in Cleveland? If a coach doesn't have a decent GM/org behind him and talent to work with, it's impossible to judge them. I'm not saying that Haslett is the next Bellicheck- just pointing out that you can't judge an artist's work if the only art supplies they have are Crayolas and napkins.

imbondz
01-16-2006, 12:59 PM
BS!

then let's bring back Wade Phillips - 29-9 record, 2 playoff births, never had a losing season in Buffalo.

OpIv37
01-16-2006, 01:21 PM
BS!

then let's bring back Wade Phillips - 29-9 record, 2 playoff births, never had a losing season in Buffalo.

is there any doubt that he'd be an upgrade over Mularkey? Hell, I would have even taken Gregg Williams back as long as Gilbride didn't come with him.

Bill Cody
01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
He has HC'ing experience. That's a plus. But he's led an undisciplined, underachieving team. Sounds like our man.

TedMock
01-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I have mixed feelings. New Orleans drives coaches to insanity in general. Jim Mora flipped his lid, and Mike Ditka cursed the entire organization, and the entire city when he left. Haslett had early success, but then things went downhill. None of us know what the real situation is, but we have to wonder who was at fault for the demise. The coach, GM, or owner? Think about it. They let go of guys like Willie Roaf, Kyle Turley, Mark Fields, Jake Delhomme, Marc Bulger, and LaRoi Glover. Was Aaron Brooks the coaches favorite, or was he the favorite of the owner? Tough to say. either way, that's a lot of talent to have slipped away. I don't fault him for this past season. Nobody would've succeeded there. It's a moot point to even bring it up. He did start to get a little whiney, which I don't like. He is a firey guy, which I'd like see. Some guys just do better on the second go-around. Marv Levy was 31-42 prior to coming to Buffalo. Bill Belichick was 36-44 in Cleveland. I'm sure people were asking the same question at the time; Why would we hire Levy/Belichick? All this guy did was lose. etc...

Historian
01-16-2006, 04:31 PM
It was the Aints.

His defenses in Pittsburgh were always stingy, and the guy is tough as nails.

As a player, he was a perfect fit for this city.

As a coach, he will right the ship, with Marv and Ralph's help.