PDA

View Full Version : NFL overtime changes...

lordofgun
01-24-2003, 09:59 AM
On WNSA yesterday they said that the NFL is considering a proposal where a team would have to score 6 points to win in OT. First team to score 6 wins...2 FGs or 1 TD.

What does everyone think about that? Personally I'd just like to play as if it were the 4th quarter. Each team gets the ball at least one one time (no starting at opponents 25! kickoff to start the OT!) and you have to match or beat their score.

LouGrant
01-24-2003, 10:03 AM
There will be a lot more tie games coming back into vogue.

I'd be for the rule change if they keep them playing until there is a winner- if it goes beyond 1 qtr so be it.

Or, if the OT quarter ended and one team only scored 3 of the six, make them the winner.

Buffarama
01-24-2003, 10:04 AM
I have two proposals.

1) The team with the most offensive yardage gets the ball first. No coin toss.

2) Move the goalpost back 10 yards for FG's, meaning add ten yards for any field goal tried in OT which would make a team that got to the twenty needing a 47 yard field goal. No more getting to the thirty and winning.

LouGrant
01-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Move the goalposts? At the ralph- you would have to put them in row 3 of one of the endzones..LOL

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 10:06 AM
They should play one extra quarter......and if they're tied after that so be it.

Buffarama
01-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by LouGrant
Move the goalposts? At the ralph- you would have to put them in row 3 of one of the endzones..LOL

Lou you've been drinking too much coffee :) I mean move the LOS back ten yards you goof!

Typ0
01-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I think the six point rule sounds interesting. It's much more difficult to score touchdowns it would do a lot to help the team who looses the coin toss to see a possession in OT.

kgun12
01-24-2003, 11:59 AM
I say put 10 minutes on the clock in OT, play the entire extra period, score all the points you can. If it is tied after that, sudden death.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Leave it the way it is. I love to see the losers cry if they never got the ball. :maggie:

If you deserve to win, you don't get scored on in the first drive.

Cntrygal
01-24-2003, 12:03 PM
"Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players' Association, said during the union's annual news conference that it will recommend the change to the NFL's competition committee."

Related thread... (http://www.billsfanzone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8853)

WG
01-24-2003, 12:20 PM
I agree w/ LOG. Both teams should have a shot. A coin flip is not a good way to influence a win.

Each team should have to return a KO since STs is just as much a part of the game as O and D. Teams like the Jets who have Speedy Gonzalez as their return guy and as a huge part of their program should be able to benefit from that.

If a team doesn't score, then they kickoff to the other team. The other team does not get the ball where they left off. That way it's the fairest thing for all. O, D, and STs are included.

Then what they should do if the score is still tied after equal drive exchanges it could just remain a tie.

The_Philster
01-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
STs is just as much a part of the game as O and D.

That goes along with what EE is saying though. STs isn't just returns, it's coverage as well.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2003, 12:55 PM
The coin flip doesn't decide the game. You kick off to them. They get the ball around their goal line. If your ST and D can't stop em from scoring, you don't deserve to win.

Patrick76777
01-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Play an extra quarter…..that would be a ton of fun.

Buffarama
01-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
I agree w/ LOG. Both teams should have a shot. A coin flip is not a good way to influence a win.

Each team should have to return a KO since STs is just as much a part of the game as O and D. Teams like the Jets who have Speedy Gonzalez as their return guy and as a huge part of their program should be able to benefit from that.

If a team doesn't score, then they kickoff to the other team. The other team does not get the ball where they left off. That way it's the fairest thing for all. O, D, and STs are included.

Then what they should do if the score is still tied after equal drive exchanges it could just remain a tie.

The problem with that is that the team that just got scored against gets to play with 4 downs all the way down the field.

ublinkwescore
01-24-2003, 03:24 PM
I guess EE doesn't remember the first jets game this season - I think they should just turn it into college rules - or what ever - each team gets one possession - If the team to get the ball first scores, then you get the ball, and a chance to score - if you don't, you lose.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2003, 03:36 PM
College rules are stupid.

Hey, you get a KO run all the way back on you, you don't deserve to win. Especially since it was the second one that game.

Danny Smith should be stuffed into a tree shredder.

Dman
01-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama

The problem with that is that the team that just got scored against gets to play with 4 downs all the way down the field.

Not true...both teams must play with 4th downs...no punting...
If you fail to make a first down or miss a field goal attempt, that team then kicks off to the other team from the 30.

I think that would be the most interesting way...say it's 4th and 1 from the 30...
do you attempt a 47 yd fg..then kick off knowing that even if you make it you will lose if the other team scores a TD?

or do you go for a fresh set of downs to try to score a TD or get a closer fg attempt?

You see all 4 downs come into play for both teams.
This way, each team gets at least one kick at the can...and you haven't eliminated ST's.
:gobills:

Bert102176
01-24-2003, 03:44 PM
I am glad they are gonna change it cause the way it is right now stinks, is thinking back to the first game of the Jets vs Bills this year.

Halbert
01-25-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by kgun12
I say put 10 minutes on the clock in OT, play the entire extra period, score all the points you can. If it is tied after that, sudden death.
This is exactly what I was going to propose. If the game is tied after 10 minutes play continues (even if in the middle of a drive) and they play until someone scores. At least 50% of the time the game would end after the 10 minutes, and most of the rest of the games would end within 5 minutes - a full extra quarter. That gives both teams time for at least one drive, and if a team can hold the ball for 10+ minutes and score, so be it (extremely unlikely but possible).

mybills
01-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Leave it alone (point wise) first to score should win.
I like that (most yardage/no coin toss) idea someone said. Makes it a merit game instead of a gamble. I also like the 10 min idea, then another 10 min...ties are for losers! ;)

HotRod
01-25-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't mind the "sudden death" part so much as the coin toss. They should have another way of determining who gets the ball first. After that, it's up to who wants the win the most.

Shiny Chicken
01-26-2003, 12:42 AM
I like the whole idea... I think it makes sense... my roommate agrees with me too.