PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reporting Mangini accepts Jets HC position

Nighthawk
01-16-2006, 09:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2294652

A little bit of a surprise...I think it's a reach. I don't want the Bills to reach for their next HC...bring in Sherman!

Carlton Bailey
01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Belichick and 2 disciples of his coaching in the East. I'm not gonna lie, I'm frightened.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2006, 09:36 PM
It's like a Bellyache fraternity party over here.

ICE74129
01-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Ralph better take notice. When sherman comes in Wed, Just hire the man.

Mr. Cynical
01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Belichick and 2 disciples of his coaching in the East. I'm not gonna lie, I'm frightened.

True, but the side beneift is that they will know how to beat BB as well. That makes me happy. :smile:

ICE74129
01-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah I can see it now, BB and 2 of his guys in the AFCE....and we will get marv's buddy Dick Jauron. :rage:

Devin
01-16-2006, 10:32 PM
friggin great.

Least the Pats lost another valuable coach. Although I am beggining to think it doesnt matter.

Nublar7
01-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Belichick and 2 disciples of his coaching in the East. I'm not gonna lie, I'm frightened.I am not really afraid of this signing one bit. He only has one year of being an NFL coordinator and that is it. Plus, 35 years old? I think this was a bad move for the Jets, but a good move for the rest of the East.

Nighthawk
01-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I am not really afraid of this signing one bit. He only has one year of being an NFL coordinator and that is it. Plus, 35 years old? I think this was a bad move for the Jets, but a good move for the rest of the East.

I'm with you on this one, he seems a little green. (no pun intended, really:funny: )

vicmantak
01-16-2006, 11:46 PM
If Mangini is good or not, it doesn't matter. Jets are losers and it will take some time to replace Edwards.

On the other hand, it seems that it will take them some time to see (or "develop") if he can make the switch at 34... later...

Tatonka
01-17-2006, 12:31 AM
i am indifferent to this hiring.

actually.. i would be kinda pissed if it was the bills that hired him.

bernielivsey_1
01-17-2006, 12:40 AM
:funny: I'm the same age as this guy and I dont know ship. I think. :liar:

LifetimeBillsFan
01-17-2006, 03:12 AM
On Sunday the NY Daily News ran a full page article by Jets' beat writer Rich Cimini on Mangini entitled, "Boy Wonder" (sorry no link--I'm reading from the newspaper itself).

The article gives a history of Mangini's coaching experience and several quotes from players that he has coached and others that he has worked with. Virtually all of them praise Mangini, as in this excerpt: "Former Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who worked with Mangini in New England, once said "the game's at a slower speed for Eric. He sees things on the field and adjusts so quickly. His preparation is incredible and he can dissect a team's passing game amazingly"'

Another states: "Friends and players described Mangini as a cerebral coach with a coal miner's work ethic, not afraid to get dirty or to share and opinion. He's no wall flower."

However, perhaps the most telling quote in the whole article was the only one that was negative and not attributed to a particular individual: "No one doubts Mangini's Xs-and-Os acumen, his ability to make in-game adjustments (a Belichick trait), but can he handle 53 players, a dozen coaches and be the face of an organization? Says one person in the league: "Eric is going to be a great head coach one day, but he's not ready."'

I found this particular comment to be especially interesting because this newspaper and its writers have close ties with the Giants' front office, former New England OC and Notre Dame HC Charley Weiss and former Giant and Jet head coach Bill Parcells. Parcells, who gave Belichick his head start and Weiss both know the New England staff intimately and are two people not quoted in the article who were likely to be contacted by the writer for a comment. Parcells has previously made comments about whether certain of his current or former assistants, including Weiss, Romeo Crennel, and current HC candidate Mo Carthon, were "ready" to step up into the head coaching ranks.

According to reports that circulated at the time, after Crennel's first year in New England, Parcells indicated that Crennel was not yet ready for a HC job in a very similar manner to the quote from this article. Similar reports circulated two years ago about Weiss and prior to last season about Carthon. In each case, a year later, the same sources for these reports in the NY press indicated that Parcells was enthusiastically recommending these coaches for head coaching jobs that were open (there were reports that Parcells was very upset that Crennel did not get a job until this year and that he has given a strong recommendation to Carthon this off-season).

While it is possible that this comment about Mangini not being ready yet could have come from the Giants' Ernie Accorsi or Weiss or someone else in the league, given Parcells' past track record and ties to the press in NYC, I would find it more likely that this comment came from Parcells than anyone else. If it did, it is something that should be taken into consideration when evaluating this hire.

Mangini has shown that he can coach players, but, as the article noted, being a head coach involves a lot more than that, especially in NYC where the media is so much larger than elsewhere and where the media that covers the Jets can be downright scathing. I can see Mangini having problems with the press, which is not nearly as gentle in its treatment of the Jets as the Boston press has been with the Pats, and the pressures that will be on him in NY. Like a number of very good HCs who had difficulties dealing with the pressures of being a HC the first time out of the box, I can see Mangini struggling as the Jets HC--especially in a situation where he will be starting out without a solid QB and with an aging starting RB--but going on to have a successful career as a HC later on with a different team, after he has made some mistakes with the Jets and had a chance to learn from them.

Historian
01-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Goooood...gooooood! -Judge Smails, Caddyshack.

Michael82
01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
If we want to counter this and add another Belichick guy to the AFC East...we can hire this guy.... :up:

http://gobulldogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hill_pat00.html

Throne Logic
01-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Goooood...gooooood! -Judge Smails, Caddyshack.

(alternate quote source) Emperor Palpatine, Star Wars

Kind of changes the meaning a bit, doesn't it?