PDA

View Full Version : Somebody better tell Marv about the Rooney rule !!!!!

Bmax
01-17-2006, 01:49 AM
No minority canidates have been scheduled to be interviewed to my knowledge.. This a requirement per the NFL.. The best guys for the job maybe Haslett or Sherman.. But Carthon,Rivera, Cotrell,Meeks-indy def co, deserve interviews .. If the bills hire a loser like Jauron then they won't be getting my money in 2006....

That's for sure.......Give me a break..............Old boy network strikes again.....

On MLK day the bills should at least provide the opportunity for a qualified coach...Lovie, Marvin and Herman have faired well with the chance they were given..

Bmax

Marvelous
01-17-2006, 04:12 AM
That minority interview rule is a load of crap. It pisses me off. This a black league. IMO a owner should be able to hire whoever he wants for whatever reasons he wants as long as he wants to win games... I think they should do-away with this rule and lets the minority coaches who are that good get the old fasioned way, HARD WORK.
Not to mention it must be degrading to a minority to just get interviewed knowing he isn'r getting the job.........

*Not sure if it's been posted but is there a bio posted about Sherman? I mean all this hype. I sit because he had a couple good seaosns in GB? I personally hated that GB team of last 2 years and thought they underachieved....

Ickybaluky
01-17-2006, 04:27 AM
It has been reported that they will interview Ted Cottrell.

Yasgur's Farm
01-17-2006, 05:57 AM
No minority canidates have been scheduled to be interviewed to my knowledge.. This a requirement per the NFL.. The best guys for the job maybe Haslett or Sherman.. But Carthon,Rivera, Cotrell,Meeks-indy def co, deserve interviews .. If the bills hire a loser like Jauron then they won't be getting my money in 2006....

That's for sure.......Give me a break..............Old boy network strikes again.....

On MLK day the bills should at least provide the opportunity for a qualified coach...Lovie, Marvin and Herman have faired well with the chance they were given..

BmaxAre you claiming racism?

vicmantak
01-17-2006, 06:03 AM
IMO interviews doesn't mean "looking for a HC"

Anyway, Art Shell is in NY and it would be interesting if Bills do something to meet him. By numbers he is well ahead of Sherman or Haslett.

Mitchy moo
01-17-2006, 06:17 AM
I think Art would be a great HC, he was very well respected & worked for big al davis who is one of the most difficult owners to deal with.

eyedog
01-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Art Shell sucked as a head coach. If he was any good he's still be coaching.
Of those coaches mentioned the only one that interests me is Riveria.
I would also be interested in Lovie Smith but he appears to be busy in Chicago, and Marvin Lewis but Donadumb has already screwed that one up.. Herm Edwards is another loser. The Jets should be celebrating that he went to Kansas City.

casdhf
01-17-2006, 07:59 AM
the rule is garbage.

Stewie
01-17-2006, 08:17 AM
More proof that affirmative action doesn't make the problem get better, it just hides the symptoms.

Why not a rule that all teams should have at least 1 white running back... after all, running backs tend to be black, right?

OpIv37
01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Bmax

Agree on Lovie and Marvin, disagree on Herman- the Jets are a mess (but to his credit he did get them into a playoff game and almost pulled off an upset last year).

I agree with cas (for once)- the rule is a joke. The intent is good, but most teams only pay lip service to minority candidates to appease the NFL. The rule doesn't change the good ole' boy network- just makes it less obvious.

MikeInRoch
01-17-2006, 08:57 AM
The whole idea that there are "not enough" minority head coaches is a load of crap anyway. There are currently six minority head coaches (Dungy, Lewis, Smith, Edwards, Green, Crennel) out of how many teams that currently have coaches? 30? That's 20%.

The falsehood that many people think is that the percentage of minority head coaches should be about the same as the percentage of minority players. The problem is that those two jobs have very different skill sets. The percentage of minority head coaches should equal (in an ideal world) the percentage of *qualified* minority head coaching candidates. It's my believe that it does.

Besides, you CANNOT tell me that any owner would simply not hire the best available coach, regardless of race, so that they can win more games. I think that most owners would sell their own mother down the river if it meant another couple of wins.

Novacane
01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I thought they interviews Jerry Gray

Gunzlingr
01-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Detroit never got in trouble when they hired Mooch without interviewing anyone else, did they?

Typ0
01-17-2006, 09:54 AM
I like the rule and here's why. It doesn't make any requirements about hiring so the valid arguement about affirmative action limiting an organization from getting the best available candidates is invalid. If there was a requirement about hiring then I would say the rule has problems. But the rule does what it's intended to do--and that is to provide minority candidates the same opportunities to develop the skills to do the job.

like it or not, a key skill in doing a job well is the ability to get the job in the first place. When Contrell interviewed for this job six years ago he knew it didn't go well...but he had not interviewed for the job before. Going through the process of interviewing is learning what your strenghts and weaknesses are at interviewing. We've all gone through this process when looking for a job.

We underestimate the power of the culture to allow fairness in society. Not that people do anything maliciosly...but people tend to hire people like them because they are more comfortable with how they look, act and communicate. That's just the way the world works. This rule is designed to give colored people the opportunity to develop the interview skills to go out there and get a job when they do get an interview...instead of being stranded because they finally get an interview for a position they are a strong candidate for yet they haven't developed their interview skills so they can't land that rare opportunity.

Typ0
01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Another thing we really don't appreciate about our society...is there is a huge segment of the colored population stuck in inner cities with poor educational systems and poor family structures. A lot of colored people don't seem to have the goods because they weren't given the same education and opportunities as their white counterparts in life. I guess if you are white it looks pretty good to perpetuate this phenomena...but I have seen what happens in the cities and those kids are just like any other kids. It's very sad what their lives are destined to be.

Gunzlingr
01-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Why is there a rule named after Mickey Rooney anyway? :idunno:

Michael82
01-17-2006, 09:59 AM
I hope they bring in Maurice Carthon as their token black guy. I like him. He's a Parcells guy. :up:

OpIv37
01-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Typ0 you make some good points but you totally discredited yourself with the use of the term "colored". I didn't realize it was still 1967.

Tatonka
01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Why not a rule that all teams should have at least 1 white running back...

i think they have that rule.. for FB. :spade:

Typ0
01-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Typ0 you make some good points but you totally discredited yourself with the use of the term "colored". I didn't realize it was still 1967.

that is the politically correct term according to the colored people I have worked with.

OpIv37
01-17-2006, 10:35 AM
that is the politically correct term according to the colored people I have worked with.

really? I think if I used the term "colored" around here I'd get shot. The only time I've heard people use it is if they were looking for an easy way to say "everyone who's not white". Even then it still sounds awkward to me.

Most of the black people I've met prefer "African American" or "black". Of course, in the grand scheme of things I don't know that many black people, so what they told me may or may not be representative of the larger population.

Typ0
01-17-2006, 10:45 AM
all I know is when I used the term Black I was told colored was more appropriate. I thought the right term was Black myself...I don't really care people know what I mean.

OpIv37
01-17-2006, 10:55 AM
all I know is when I used the term Black I was told colored was more appropriate. I thought the right term was Black myself...I don't really care people know what I mean.

I'm more concerned with not offending someone but it doesn't really matter. Regardless of how politically correct or sensitive you try to be, someone will be offended. I always thought "African American" was about as politically correct and non-offensive as you can get, but I met one woman who basically said "I'm black but I'm not African- I've never been to Africa and I don't know anything about it. I'm a black American, not an African American."

LtBillsFan66
01-17-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm more concerned with not offending someone but it doesn't really matter. Regardless of how politically correct or sensitive you try to be, someone will be offended. I always thought "African American" was about as politically correct and non-offensive as you can get, but I met one woman who basically said "I'm black but I'm not African- I've never been to Africa and I don't know anything about it. I'm a black American, not an African American."
Since we're nitpicking, "Black" should be capitalized if you're referring to it as a race.

OpIv37
01-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Since we're nitpicking, "Black" should be capitalized if you're referring to it as a race.

my bad. I can't believe I just got corrected by an italian.

LtBillsFan66
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I got uncles that can do some more "correcting" if necessary.

OpIv37
01-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I got uncles that can do some more "correcting" if necessary.

well I got uncles who can do some "protecting". Old fashioned mafia family war!

LtBillsFan66
01-17-2006, 11:06 AM
We should have a sitdown.

Billscusey
01-17-2006, 08:39 PM
"Besides, you CANNOT tell me that any owner would simply not hire the best available coach, regardless of race, so that they can win more games. I think that most owners would sell their own mother down the river if it meant another couple of wins."

Exactly!!! I'd put a headset on my dog and throw him on the sidelines to call plays if I thought it would help!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

G. Host
01-17-2006, 08:48 PM
The problem with the rule is it is bogus - Norman Chow was going to interview for a HC job but team was told he did not qualifiy because the qualifiers who were are all black said he as not a 'minority' according to the rule and they needed to interview a 'minority' (black) candidate. Norman Chow is Chinese and other than one coach a long time ago there are no asian head coaches.

Bmax
01-18-2006, 01:25 AM

By the way what color are ? Lime, orange or royal blue just curious....

Bmax

Bmax
01-18-2006, 01:32 AM
The rule is not bogus ..I firmly believe with out it we would have less coaches than we have...My Point was simply How can Guys like Margini or Payton get hired ...when guys like Jimmy Raye....and Cotrell coach for years and rarely get mentioned.. I guess Chow, Monte Kiffin and Jimmy Johnson-eagles def coord. have beefs also...I guess race as well as age is a facotr when selecting a coach....

Bmax