PDA

View Full Version : The whole HC debate is laughable. and a Clayton update

ICE74129
01-17-2006, 07:28 AM
We are not getting some superbowl winner as a HC. Not going to happen. So here is REALITY....EVERY CANDIDATE HAS MARKS AGAINST THEM! ALL of them. Every single one.

I hear guys beeoching about not bringing in another coordinator to be HC. Why? it worked with EVERY SUCCESSFUL HC in NFL History. ALL were a coordinator at some point. TD flat missed on John Fox, but that is history.

You need to look at the potential candidates and how they might fit in with this org. NOT the players currently here, because several won't be here at the start of the 06 season.

Whomever we hire, RW, and ML MUST let this guy have full power to discipline players regardless of who they are. They must let him look at this roster and cut whom he wants. Then they must sit down in Free agency and in the draft and allow him to work with Modrak to get guys that will fit into the type of team he is trying to build/ his system. If not, we won't be successful.

John Clayton was just on Mike and mike in the morning. Haslett may be a lion today or tomorrow at the latest. Sean Payton should be the New Orleans coach by the end of today, maybe tomorrow.

Now....John has heard it is down to Dick Jauron and Mike Sherman. He feels that Marv may go with his fellow Ivy league buddy in Jauron. God I hope not. Sherman has been a WINNER, Jauron...

Again all have knocks, but Sherman sure as hell has much less 'hail damage' than jauron.

don137
01-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately, every candidate pretty much has a black mark against them. Some is lack of experience, some is unsuccessful programs etc.
There is also another big part of the equation in building a successful program. Head coach is a big part of it but having a GM and staff that brings in good FA's and drafts great players.
TD was very mediocre at best when it came to the draft. While John Fox is a great head coach he also has a great GM in Marty Hurney. while the Bills were bringing in the likes of Bennie Anderson to bolster the OL the Panthers brought in Mike Wahle. The same can be sid for Lovie Smith. While he turned around the program in Chicago they also drafted some good players and brought in some excellent FA's and traded for Ogunleye.
Levy and Modrak need to really improve the Bills achilles heel of mediocre drafts or else it won't matter who we bring in here.

Nighthawk
01-17-2006, 07:59 AM
We are not getting some superbowl winner as a HC. Not going to happen. So here is REALITY....EVERY CANDIDATE HAS MARKS AGAINST THEM! ALL of them. Every single one.

I hear guys beeoching about not bringing in another coordinator to be HC. Why? it worked with EVERY SUCCESSFUL HC in NFL History. ALL were a coordinator at some point. TD flat missed on John Fox, but that is history.

You need to look at the potential candidates and how they might fit in with this org. NOT the players currently here, because several won't be here at the start of the 06 season.

Whomever we hire, RW, and ML MUST let this guy have full power to discipline players regardless of who they are. They must let him look at this roster and cut whom he wants. Then they must sit down in Free agency and in the draft and allow him to work with Modrak to get guys that will fit into the type of team he is trying to build/ his system. If not, we won't be successful.

John Clayton was just on Mike and mike in the morning. Haslett may be a lion today or tomorrow at the latest. Sean Payton should be the New Orleans coach by the end of today, maybe tomorrow.

Now....John has heard it is down to Dick Jauron and Mike Sherman. He feels that Marv may go with his fellow Ivy league buddy in Jauron. God I hope not. Sherman has been a WINNER, Jauron...

Again all have knocks, but Sherman sure as hell has much less 'hail damage' than jauron.

I'm telling you right now, if Jauron is hired...all those people who wanted Marv as GM will be getting exactly what he is. He is a guy who hasn't been around the game in years and doesn't have his finger on the pulse. This hiring would be just like TD hiring MM and we see how that worked out! Hiring your buddy because your comfortable with him, is not the right way to go. We need to get a guy in here who is the best candidate and I can tell you that Jauron is not it! This guy is a loser and has done nothing to deserve a HC job. Sherman or Haslett...those are the guys that Marv should be targeting, not Jauron because he has an IVY League background.

gr8slayer
01-17-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree with Don in saying we need to draft much better under Levy. If Donahoe could draft every round like he drafts in the first round we would be a three time SB team by now, but he didnt. He was nearly flawless in the first but would bomb in the later rounds. Hopefully this is a problem we get fixed, and quick.

NJFINSFAN1
01-17-2006, 08:03 AM
I have no idea why you guys did not make a run for Mangini?

ryjam282
01-17-2006, 08:05 AM
I like some of your points. Jauron really hasn't done much as a HC and I don't know what would make this team any different for him either. We shall see, but of the two that are left on your list, I like Sherman. He is a no nonsense kind of guy. Sure, he had Favre for his whole career in GB, but Marv had Jimbo for his time in Buffalo too. Without either of those 2 QB's these coaches might not have lasted very long at all so that is just kinda the luck of the draw. And, I agree that coordinators need a shot too, but our luck hasn't been very good the last 2 times we tried that. We took the defensive guy with manboobs and the offensive guy in Mularkey. Neither worked out, now they could have been because of TD but I am not really willing to find out again so soon. I say go for a guy with experience and then at some other point try another coordinator. Just my opinion but I do like some of your comments. Good post.

Bufftp
01-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Bill Belichick was 36-44 on five years at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Cleveland</st1:place></st1:City> with only one winning season. He was consider hard to work with, bombastic, cold and didn’t connect with his players or assistants. All coaches especially first time Head coaches come with baggage. Some of the comments regarding him remind me of Hasslet. Hiring a head coach comes fraught with potholes just like drafting a first round pick in the top 5.

well who wouldn't mind Belichick now? But would have screamed bloody murder if we hired him right after Cleveland?

NJFINSFAN1
01-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Bill Belichick was 36-44 on five years at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Cleveland</st1:place></st1:City> with only one winning season. He was consider hard to work with, bombastic, cold and didn’t connect with his players or assistants. All coaches especially first time Head coaches come with baggage. Some of the comments regarding him remind me of Hasslet. Hiring a head coach comes fraught with potholes just like drafting a first round pick in the top 5.

well who wouldn't mind Belichick now? But would have screamed bloody murder if we hired him right after Cleveland?

That's what people are saying about Tice more so then Hasslet. I have heard a bunch of quote (experts) saying they think Tice will be very good, if he gets the player out of him and learns from his mistakes.

alohabillsfan
01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
If we do not hire a coach with experiance then we will not be very good next year (7-9) at best. There is just a learning curve of being a HC them growing pains take time. I am willing to wait if the right guy is out there I just don't know of him! I still like Haslett of Sherman.

ICE74129
01-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Bill Belichick was 36-44 on five years at <st1:city><st1:place>Cleveland</st1:place></st1:city> with only one winning season. He was consider hard to work with, bombastic, cold and didn’t connect with his players or assistants. All coaches especially first time Head coaches come with baggage. Some of the comments regarding him remind me of Hasslet. Hiring a head coach comes fraught with potholes just like drafting a first round pick in the top 5.

Where would BB Be with out Scott Pioli and Kraft spending tons of money? If we had pioli and ralph spent tons of money, then ok we can go with a 'haslett'. But we don't and Ralph wont.

Typ0
01-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I think the truth is you need a lot of luck and that is part of what bellichick has had. Maybe it's only 2% luck but when you get that it's the 2% that puts you over the edge. What does that luck consist of? Synergy. It's when you somehow get the right group of people together in the organization, players, coaches and management, and they work together in such a way that things just click. People talk about Bellichick like he's what it's all about and if he had gone to the Cardinals he would have had the same success.

We just need to trust the people we have to hire who they think is right...and then hope we get some of that luck.