PDA

View Full Version : Why is SHerman the best canidate besides wins?

Ferrygoat
01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I want to know why everyone thinks Sherman is the man for the job, i know he has experience and more wins than any other coach out there but he also was coaching a better team. Why is Sherman better than Haslett, Jauran, Payton, or anyone else???

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Dude there are like 4 threads asking the same thing:

I'm here in Packer country and all I hear is Packer this Packer that. In fact I've occasionally watched the local Mike Sherman Show over the years.

That's why I firmly believe he's our man.

He's not one to shy away from blame, or from calling out players if they're not giving full efforts, or from making BS excuses. He's usually calm but grumpy (ala Bill Parcells). And players love him (Favre is probably going to retire because Sherman is gone). He knows how to win, has done more with less, except this year when half his team was injured. Even then he made no excuse, saying at a local interview that "injuries are part of the game...happens to every team....no reason to not expect to win just because of injuries..."

Ferrygoat
01-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Dude there are like 4 threads asking the same thing:
Dude, then why dont you explain to me why Sherman is better than Haslett or the other guys???

OpIv37
01-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Process of elimination. Jauron's a moron. He hasn't been successful at all, save for one fluke season. He's not even that good as a coordinator.

Haslett is a question mark. He didn't do that well in NO but NO is a mess of an organization so who knows? I wouldn't mind him but so far he hasn't done anything spectacular.

Sherman is the only one who has been consistently successful.

ublinkwescore
01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Sherman could also put an end to Op's *****ing for a while as well.

TedMock
01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Aside from just being a successful coach, Sherman's main background is with the offensive line. He coached o-line for several years in college. He coached o-line and TE's in the NFL before becoming an offensive coordinator. In my opinion, this combination of prior experience and winning is what makes him the most attractive candidate.

ublinkwescore
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
and he can be a valuable asset to Marv seeing as how he's got prior GM experience.

hydro014
01-17-2006, 04:09 PM
He is asking besides wins and losses, because some of the greatest coaches sucked in their first few years (ala: Belichick), so we cant just say because he is successful or had a good record. i agree with OpIv, but i like what goats asking, what type of intangables do these coaches bring in. What types of things can we expect a coach do bring to our team, community and our fan base, does he understand what the Bills mean to most of us? And i know everyone is going to say WINs, but with an OL and DL i think our team can win with a lot of coaches. So really think hard about each candidate and what they bring to the plate.

Mr. Miyagi, I live in Iowa and watch all the packers games, my roomate is a die hard packers fan, Sherman has not done more with less, he was given a roster full of stars, had one of the best QB's ever, and and OL which, up to this past year one of the best, so you cant say he has done more with less. Although i do agree with you about this year, he was put in a tough situation with all the injuries.

TedMock
01-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Right. See my reason above. He obviously values the o-line, as that is where his background lies. You can also add that he wanted to go after Losman to begin with, so Losman's development could be a personal mission for him (others have said this in past threads too).

I agree that other coaches could do well if we had a better offensive line, but the fact that Sherman values the line should result in him making that extra effort to improve it. This is an area that we haven't aggressively pursued.

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah.

Ferrygoat
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Right. See my reason above. He obviously values the o-line, as that is where his background lies. You can also add that he wanted to go after Losman to begin with, so Losman's development could be a personal mission for him (others have said this in past threads too).

I agree that other coaches could do well if we had a better offensive line, but the fact that Sherman values the line should result in him making that extra effort to improve it. This is an area that we haven't aggressively pursued.
With that said, Sherman let Wahle and Rivera walk while he was in GB....to me that doesnt look like he tried to make the O-line better, it got worse

hydro014
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
We know we are going to adress the OL, Marv said it when he got here. We dont have to bring in sherman to help the OL, we need talent. sherman told the gm last year not to resign two all pro o-linemen so i dont know if thats really a priority for sherman.

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2006, 04:34 PM
With that said, Sherman let Wahle and Rivera walk while he was in GB....to me that doesnt look like he tried to make the O-line better, it got worse
He wanted to retain them. Nobody in the right mind would want to let them walk. But they commanded too much $$ and GB was not in too great of cap shape.

ICE74129
01-17-2006, 04:39 PM
I want to know why everyone thinks Sherman is the man for the job, i know he has experience and more wins than any other coach out there but he also was coaching a better team. Why is Sherman better than Haslett, Jauran, Payton, or anyone else???

What matters more than wins? Nothing.:beers:

Ferrygoat
01-17-2006, 04:45 PM
True, i agree, but dont you also have to look at the team your winning with? Do you think Shermans record would be that good if he was coaching the Saints or the Texans???

ublinkwescore
01-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Sherman has GM experience - he would probably get them the talent where they'd need it to be successful - that's another reason why I want him - Symbiotic relationship between him and Marv - Marv can give him coaching insight, and Sherman can give him GM insight.

Ferrygoat
01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Good point, I think Both Sherman and Haslett will be successful in buffalo if we address the holes on the O and D-line

TedMock
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM
That's a good point, but I thought that Sherman wanted to keep them. The almighty dollar took them away. Either way, a lesson was certainly learned this past season.

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM
On the contrary, however, I don't think Sherman has had the best draft in recent years. The best ones I can think of are WR Javon Walker and LB Nick Barnett. Other than that I think his drafts were generally unspectacular.

hydro014
01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
On the contrary, however, I don't think Sherman has had the best draft in recent years. The best ones I can think of are WR Javon Walker and LB Nick Barnett. Other than that I think his drafts were generally unspectacular.

i agree, he did stuggle with drafting, but he also has found a few good players.
:beers:

ublinkwescore
01-17-2006, 04:59 PM
when was his last draft as GM?

hydro014
01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
when was his last draft as GM?

2004, A. carrol DB

ublinkwescore
01-17-2006, 05:17 PM
He was the Packers coach then wasn't he?

Ferrygoat
01-17-2006, 05:32 PM
The way it looked on the news, The HC position is between Sherman and Jauran. Jim Kelly also said that Dick Jauran has the inside shot at gettin the job. He lives in Chicago, so does RW

The thing that scares me is that while in Chicago they said he struggled because he couldnt get the offense going.....

hydro014
01-17-2006, 05:33 PM

Well, unless you could have a coach like Bill Belichick: First 5 seasons with the browns 36-44. Maybe, a HC dosent need a winning record in his first 5 years to be great!

:philhouse

hydro014
01-17-2006, 05:34 PM
He was the Packers coach then wasn't he?

yes hhe was

ublinkwescore
01-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Coach and GM?

That's not a very good idea - didn't holmgren relinquish his GM duties in Seattle?

hydro014
01-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Coach and GM?

That's not a very good idea - didn't holmgren relinquish his GM duties in Seattle?

i think so but i cant remember.

vicmantak
01-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Hey this topic really deserves a look!

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108425&st=0

ublinkwescore
01-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Ooohhh - I like the fact that he got in Warren Sapp's face after that hit on Chad Clifton.

MARV, BRING THIS GUY IN NOW!!!

hydro014
01-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey this topic really deserves a look!

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108425&st=0

these guys have been saying the same thing i have for the last week. I think Sherman is a good coach but not as good as many people on this board think. Also out of the three replies, you can look at most of mine, i have said many of the same things. I really think he's a good coach, but the way people smash the other coaching canidates, saying that they are not qualified b/c they do not have a winning record with their past teams is really not fair. Whether or not they are actually good coach, or a good fit for buffalo can be measured just on their win loss record. Also , i have posted a week ago, that i like Bates, a lot better than Sherman.

:limpclap:

Tatonka
01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
this was the best post there..

I saw Sherman was talking to the Bills.

Sherman was a High School teacher who got into coaching and stayed with it. His style is to teach. He was a Tight Ends coach as will keep the 2nd and 3rd string TE rather than cut them and try someone new.

Good points

He is very organized and things are well planned. He can also deal with contigencies. He usually has a Plan B and a Plan C in case things go wrong.
Very prepared.

The team will look a little different each week based on the game plan. His best game plans are for the second game against a divisional opponent. Those are the games to bet money on.

He is emotionally stable. He is not a screamer. He earns respect. He is not a weasel who will blame others.

He has great psychology. He knows when to push the team and when to ease off. He doesn't play psycho games but knows when to run drills with or without pads, give days off, or use pads and live tackling all week. The team is even keeled because he is.

Great coach most of the year. During games especially when pressure comes he will call a higher percentage play. No Mike Martz gambling or trick gadget plays.
He gets criticized for not going on 4th down that much.

He can call the plays or delegate it and has done well with both.

Players like him because he is honest and straightforward.

Negative points

He monitors the assistant coaches rather closely. He hates miscommunication. He want the assistant to be telling the player the same thing he is saying. He wants the player getting the same message so there is no confusion or locker room politics. If a players blocking or tackling is not good enough for him to start that is the message and he better work on it. Sherman makes sure every player knows where he stands. Some assistant coaches don't like this but the players love it. Everything is in the open.

He is not photogenic or dynamic at press conferences. He may appear boring. He will not say anything stupid or upsetting to anyone. He is not controversial. The most fire in him is after a personal foul, late hit, cheap shot or things like it. Quickest way to get benched is to be a dirty player. He hates trash talking. The player is not concentrating and refs don't like it either.

He has worked offenses and not defenses.

Slow starts to games and seasons. First quarter can look flat but then get it together. Best quarter is 3rd quarter after half time adjustments. For a season the losses happen early. The team could go 2-4, start clicking and finish 11-5.
For all his planning and work he usually revises and can put together nice winning streaks.

He had GM duties put upon him when he had no experience in personnel. He had some bad drafts like 03 when he trade the 94th and 127th picks to Bills for the 79th pick(Kenny Peterson) which was a bust. 94 was Angelo Crowell and 127 was Sam Aiken.

Some will say Sherman was too predictable this year with the offense. This is a hollow argument. Six starting RB's went down. Two OG's were new. 2 WR's missed almost all the season 2 missed parts of year and at times had only one healthy TE. Playing a lot of rookies then street free agents, the offense could not do anything too fancy. The Offensive coordinator should not have been fired let alone Sherman.

Extra Points

Sherman scouted heavily Losman and wanted to draft him but Losman was off the board by the time Sherman drafted.

I looked at the Bills heavily in preseason when they were on NFL network. I thought there was a lot of talent. I did not see much of them during the season being on the opposite coast. I thought the Bills were playoff caliber. I think it is the type of team well suited for Sherman.

Sherman is best for the Bills then maybe the disaster of New Orleans. He would be a bad fit for Oakland and Kansas City.

Sherman is owed 3.2 million a year from the Packers for the next 2 years less whatever the Bills would pay him if hired. The Bills could pay him a dollar a year and the Packers would pay the rest for 2 years. The contract could be quite flexible and the Bills pay very little. A three year deal has little risk.

I wish Sherman well. The new GM waited 8 months and gave Sherman a two year extension then fired him 4 months later. There was no reason given for the firing. Sherman had five years of winning records after taking over a team on the decline after the Super Bowl run in late nineties. This was his first losing record. Many games were close this year check the scores of Packer games.

I wish the Bills well. It is a good organization and I hope that in the future that shared practices and a scrimmage can be done again. There were no problems or incidents.