PDA

View Full Version : Coaching staff improves a tick

Pride
01-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Lary Bump - ShoutNewspaper.com
January 23, 2003 at 8:21pm ET

Offensive line coach Pat Ruel has plenty of college coaching experience, but less time as an NFL O-line coach than Ronnie Vinklarek had before this season.

Linebackers coach Don Blackmon had some quality years as an NFL linebacker. And he and running backs coach Les Steckel each have been coordinators in the league. Steckel has even been a head coach.

Let's look a little closer, though. Blackmon was defensive coordinator for the 2001 Falcons, who couldn't stop a sloth. Steckel was offensive coordinator for the 2000 Bucs, who couldn't move the ball against the '01 Falcons, and that helped keep Tampa Bay out of the Super Bowl until now. There's a reason neither coach was employed in the NFL last season.

MORE (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_89504_24&prov=citadel&type=lgns)

Buffarama
01-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Wonderful, tell me this isn't true. Ruel has less NFL O-Line experience than Vinklarek?
Wonderful just wonderful.
Reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon I used to have. A round space ship has just landed standing on its 3 legs and is surrounded by humans, photographers, cameras, the press etc.
The exit ramp for the ship is down, and laying at the bottom of the ramp is an alien who has tripped and just tumbled down in front of everyone. Two aliens are standing at the top of the ramp at the ships door opening, and one says to the other:

Wonderful, just wonderful.

Ð
01-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Ticks carry lime disease

Pride
01-24-2003, 02:09 PM
LOL Buff!

Jeff 311
01-24-2003, 02:41 PM
atleast we got rid of the old offensive line coach who had no expeirence and had GW as his best man at his wedding.

Doc
01-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Bump fails, and I mean fails, to mention a few things. First of all, to become a coordinator you have to work your way up through the ranks by showing the dedication and talent to make it to that level. Second of all, NEITHER Steckel nor Blackmon will be coordinators in Buffalo and worst case scenario they are huge upgrades over the guys they replace. Last of all, Ruel has more experience in the NFL as he joins the Bills than Vinklarek had when HE joined the Bills. Mort said it was a great pickup, and Ruel has made several instructional videos on O-line technique. I think it's safe to say that Ruel has shown promise whereas Vinkarek was shown the door.