Guys, why are so many of you missing our biggest draft need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Guys, why are so many of you missing our biggest draft need?

Clements is all but gone.

Any team that hasnt watched him that closely this year will think that he is still a great CB. He played awful this year. Other teams will pay more for him than we will.

Levy wont tie up 8 mil of our cap on this guy through a franchise tag.

Hes gone, and whne he is, CB becomes our #1 need.

Now, it could be handled through FA, but will we sign Charles Woodson to some huge contract? Maybe. Probably not.

I think its likely that we fix our O-line interior and add at least one big DT FA before the draft.

That means CB is our #1 need going into the draft. There is simply no way in hell that we pass on Jimmy Williams or Mike Huff, both who could be shut down corners, for a pass rushing DE (when Schobel just had 12 sacks), a DT (when we just signed one in FA), or OT (when its not even our biggest o-line need).

Even if ALL of those spots were equal needs, many teams would STILL take the CB OVER those other positions because its so hard to get good ones that you can trust one on one with the top WR's.

Its conjecture based on what happens early in FA, but I can completely see us taking Williams or Huff.

• ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Guys, why are so many of you missing our biggest draft need?

Originally posted by jp-era
    Clements is all but gone.

Any team that hasnt watched him that closely this year will think that he is still a great CB. He played awful this year. Other teams will pay more for him than we will.

Levy wont tie up 8 mil of our cap on this guy through a franchise tag.

Hes gone, and whne he is, CB becomes our #1 need.

Now, it could be handled through FA, but will we sign Charles Woodson to some huge contract? Maybe. Probably not.

I think its likely that we fix our O-line interior and add at least one big DT FA before the draft.

That means CB is our #1 need going into the draft. There is simply no way in hell that we pass on Jimmy Williams or Mike Huff, both who could be shut down corners, for a pass rushing DE (when Schobel just had 12 sacks), a DT (when we just signed one in FA), or OT (when its not even our biggest o-line need).

Even if ALL of those spots were equal needs, many teams would STILL take the CB OVER those other positions because its so hard to get good ones that you can trust one on one with the top WR's.

Its conjecture based on what happens early in FA, but I can completely see us taking Williams or Huff.
    Screw CB. And I mean that, Screw the damn CB position. Look LINES are our issue! BOTH of them. I cut 2 OL and not re sign teague. I bring in a Center and LG, Draft LT. I also sign a DT and Draft a starting DT as well! If sam Adams re does his contract and gets his act together then fine, just draft one.

After the lines are addressed THEN you can think CB. New England won the superbowl last year with BACKUPS! the #4 and #5 CB's on their team started! PASS RUSH and schemes make average CB's good enough to win. We have talent sitting on the bench right now. Starting talent? Who knows, they never get on the field.

Nate Clements won't accept anything less than top dollar. So you franchise and trade him to someone like the Giants for thier first round pick. THEN Draft a CB.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Making the D-Line better will allow you to sacrifice talent in the backfield. Although if we Tag and Trade Nate as many think we will we should be able to land Williams or Huff.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

If all your assumptions about free agency are right, your prognostication of the Bills' draft need is right on, but at this point that's all they are, assumptions. You assume Clements is gone and you assume the Bills get solid line help in free agency. Neither is a given until it happens.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• T-Long
          Circling the Wagons since 1982.
          • Sep 2003

Our biggest need is NOT CB. We NEED to address the offense and defensive line. PERIOD.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
            • Sep 2003

Sign Hutchenson from Seattle watch him this week when he locks on to a pass rusher they get no where! Marv please sign him!

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
              Screw CB. And I mean that, Screw the damn CB position. Look LINES are our issue! BOTH of them. I cut 2 OL and not re sign teague. I bring in a Center and LG, Draft LT. I also sign a DT and Draft a starting DT as well! If sam Adams re does his contract and gets his act together then fine, just draft one.

After the lines are addressed THEN you can think CB. New England won the superbowl last year with BACKUPS! the #4 and #5 CB's on their team started! PASS RUSH and schemes make average CB's good enough to win. We have talent sitting on the bench right now. Starting talent? Who knows, they never get on the field.

Nate Clements won't accept anything less than top dollar. So you franchise and trade him to someone like the Giants for thier first round pick. THEN Draft a CB.

jp-era, you have to understand that one way or another, we should get something out of Nate. Either we franchise him, nobody bites and we keep him another year at a price that is still less than what he would want, I might add, or we, preferably, trade him to another team in need for a 1st rd pick. The Giants have shown interest, and I'm pretty sure there will be others showing interest also. Either way, we either keep him or use another 1st rd pick to get a new top CB...problem solved.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

12 sacks is great in this league.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

This has been addressed several times before. According to the site capologists (Eb and Clump), the tag #s will only be in and around 5$ mil. Slap on the tag, bait the trade and if no one bites, hold onto Nate for one last year.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

Yea, cornerback isn't as pressing a need, although my guess is that they take one later on, maybe with their 4th or 5th.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Billsology
                      Yea, cornerback isn't as pressing a need, although my guess is that they take one later on, maybe with their 4th or 5th.
                      A Safety is probably a higher need though, but maybe they can get a player that can do both...unless they address S in free agency and get someone like Archuleta! We cannot have Coy Wire coming in if Milloy gets hurt or needs a breather.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129

news flash- Nate SUCKED this year. Another CB can come in and suck just as bad. And even if Nate stays and/or an equivalent replacement is found, it's not going to matter without an OL to help us score points and a DL to stop the run. The CB situation will need to be addressed, but OL and DL are infinitely more important.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Buckets
                          • Jun 2003

[QUOTE=jp-era]Clements is all but gone.

Any team that hasnt watched him that closely this year will think that he is still a great CB.QUOTE]

You gotta be kidding. A team is going to go after a FA and not know his past years stats or rep?

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

I have to agree with some of the comments here except on the ones that say Nate sucks. Any cornerback and safety is only going to be as good as the defensive line and that's the way it is. There is nothing you are going to do back there without some pressure on the QB. Once that pressure is there then it can become a turnover frenzy if you have good corners.

And I also agree and have no idea why the morons had Coy Wire in there this year at safety. He is one of the worst safeties I have ever seen in the league. If we are going to put him on the field we might just as well stay in the lockerroom and watch on TV as the other team marches up and down the field.

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

Coy Wire's play on ST has dropped this year as well. If he can't hack it in training camp this season, cut his ass. He's not doing this team any good.

Comment

Working...
                              X