• Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Let's go a little deeper here.....

If they hire Sherman:

Jim Bates would probably be DC.
    Ed Donatel or some WCO deciple would be OC.

Bend but not break defense and WCO. McGahee would start being utilized more and put up vintage Ahman Green type numbers.

If they hire Jauron:

Greg Blache (now DC under GW in Washington) was his DC in Chicago. Attacking, Bear style defense. Jauron might even keep Grey as the style wouldn't significantly change.

Jauron is defensively oriented and offensively challenged. His first OC in Chicago was Gary Croton who really invented that WR bubble screen. They played a lot of 4 wide, yet still dinked and dunked, especially when Shane Matthews was QB. If Jauron is hired, chances are Matthews would stay to help JP and Kelly with a Jauron style offense.

Personally, Sherman seems like a better fit for the players we have now, based upon the style of game he coaches compared to Dick.
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Let's go a little deeper here.....

good post EE.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
      If they hire Sherman:

Bend but not break defense and WCO. McGahee would start being utilized more and put up vintage Ahman Green type numbers.

If they hire Jauron:

Greg Blache (now DC under GW in Washington) was his DC in Chicago. Attacking, Bear style defense. Jauron might even keep Grey as the style wouldn't significantly change.

Jauron is defensively oriented and offensively challenged. His first OC in Chicago was Gary Croton who really invented that WR bubble screen. They played a lot of 4 wide, yet still dinked and dunked, especially when Shane Matthews was QB. If Jauron is hired, chances are Matthews would stay to help JP and Kelly with a Jauron style offense.

Personally, Sherman seems like a better fit for the players we have now, based upon the style of game he coaches compared to Dick.
      Jauron shouldn't even be a candidate. But that said, it seems to me if Jauron is HC then holcomb is QB and we will continue to suck. Sherman gets the job and there is no question that JP is the QB.

HIRE SHERMAN!

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
        If they hire Sherman:

If they hire Jauron:

Great post, EE!

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

I hope we don't try any more pass happy **** here. It doesn't work. I get nervous every time I hear/read "West Coast Offense".
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Bert102176
            • Aug 2002

I would like to see Haslett get the job but if not him then Sherman
            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Dick

There is NOTHING to show me from his past that he deserves a shot.

(good analysis nonetheless ee)

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                I hope we don't try any more pass happy **** here. It doesn't work. I get nervous every time I hear/read "West Coast Offense".
                I guess the "West Coast Offense" and all the 49er's Super Bowls were a fluke?
                Retired Air Traffic Controller
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Jauron had Anthony Thomas and just pounded people.

Sherman utilized Ahman Green in the passing game. Green Bay was a good screen team too.

I just think that Sherman would utilize McGahee and JP more effectively than Jauron would.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kgun12
                    I guess the "West Coast Offense" and all the 49er's Super Bowls were a fluke?
                    and when was the last time San Fran or any other West Coast Offense team won the Super Bowl? Three things:

1. WC offense requires the right personnell. We have an inexperienced QB, an aging #1 WR and undersized #2 and #3 WR's. Evans and Parish will get killed on the quick slants- it's not a good fit for this team.
                    2. Defenses have figured out how to stop the WC offense so it's not nearly as effective as it was 15-20 years ago when SF was kicking ass.
                    3. WC offense relies heavily on the pass. That's not a good formula for an outdoor cold-weather team like Buffalo.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

First of all, great post EE.

Here's a thought as I've previously proposed.

How about:

Sherman HC - WCO and "McGahee would start being utilized more and put up vintage Ahman Green type numbers."

plus

Jauron DC - "Attacking, Bear style defense."

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37

3. WC offense relies heavily on the pass. That's not a good formula for an outdoor cold-weather team like Buffalo.
                        Uh Jim Kelly used the pass to set up the run. A 'pass happy offense' CAN be successful in Buffalo.

We have a gun slinger at QB, time to deal with that fact and surround him with the players he needs to succeed.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                          • Mar 2003

I also was thinking about that, but it's doubtful WIlson would shell out for both of em, even though he said that price wouldn't be an obstacle.
                          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• mybills
                            81 st zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Does that mean that JP would have to learn the WCO? As far as I know, he doesn't know it. I could be wrong.
                            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                              Uh Jim Kelly used the pass to set up the run. A 'pass happy offense' CAN be successful in Buffalo.
                              Too bad it wasn't successful enough.
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X