PDA

View Full Version : Clump's Mock Draft on KFFL

clumping platelets
01-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Yep, I'm at it again. I'm the Bills and Falcons GMs on KFFL.

Link to the mock draft (I'm rabal there):

http://www.kffl.com/communities/forums/Forum65/HTML/000262.html

Bills:

First move was to trade DT Ron Edwards to the Packers for a swap of 4th rd picks. (Thought process: I was going to use the higher 4th rd pick to move up in rd 2 and grab DT Kevin Williams, but his recent move up the draft boards and the pub surrounding him made him a certain 1st rd pick), so I traded down in rd 2 (#2,#4 for #2 and #3) because I expected to get 1 of 3 players: LB Bradie James, DT Jarret Johnson, or DL Kenny Peterson. All 3 were selected just before my pick. At that point (#56), I didn't really like the value of the defensive players available, thus I chose in rd 2: TE/WR Teyo Johnson from Stanford Why? Well, he's been compared to Tony Gonzalez. He's strictly a receiving TE and can be split out wide to create mis-matches. The expected loss of Peerless Price and Jay Riemersma and the way the mock draft played out, this selection represents solid value in rd 2. In rd 3 (#79), I was hoping for LB Mario Haggan, DL Nick Eason, or DT Colin Cole to be available but again all were selected. I then decided that LB Eddie Strong from Ole Miss was the best value at that point and also felt that he would not make it to my next pick in rd 3 (#91). Strong is a versatile LB who can play MLB and can also project to SOLB. He can also add speed to special teams. At #91, I was targeting DT Kenny King from Alabama and he was there. Again, versatility plays apart of my draft strategy as King can play both DT and DE. Because of the previous trade, I have no 4th rd pick, so I have to wait until the 5th rd. I'll look at S and interior OL but won't pass up the best player available at whatever position it may be.

In the 5th rd, I selected C Bruce Nelson from Iowa. He was an all-Big Ten performer. He has the size and strength to handle the bigger DTs and he's simply a football player.

Traded 6th rd pick to Atlanta for 6th & 7th rd picks

Recap:

2-TE/WR Teyo Johnson(Stanford)
3-LB Eddie Strong(Mississippi)
3-DT Kenny King(Alabama)
5-C Bruce Nelson(Iowa)
6-FS Hanik Milligan(Houston)
7-DE Dan Rumishek(Michigan)
7-RB Antoineo Harris(Illinois)

:feedback:

venis2k1
01-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Honestly, i think we will need to fix our LB/DT problem Through FA. I think picking Teyo was a great pick up, and i am hoping the bills do the same in the real draft. He is a stud at 6'7 240. He has hands of glue, and he can block to boot. He could very well be our long term solution to out TE problem.

venis2k1
01-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Did i mention he played basketball too(ala T-Gon)

clumping platelets
01-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Now you have :chuckle:

FA really will determine the draft. If TD, et al are able to get the players they want (of those really available), then the draft can be used for depth(to better handle FA losses and injuries) and upgrade team speed. Bills are in the position to draft the best player available because, outside of QB, OT, & P, we can add depth anywhere, of course assuming that FA answers many of the needs :)

venis2k1
01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
"falcons trade their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for Watson"

clumping platelets
01-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
"falcons trade their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for Watson"

I'd be happy with just a 3rd :chuckle:

Billsouth
01-24-2003, 09:30 PM
you sure know a lot about the upcoming draft entries. it is very impressive!! keep up the good work and you should end up on espn instead of mel kiper. wouldnt it be nice to have someone cover the bills on draft day.

TigerJ
01-24-2003, 10:14 PM
It never falls the way you predict, in the mocks or in the real deal. That's why you've got to have an encyclopedic mind so that when the guys you targeted get picked just ahead of you, you know who is a good value in their stead. Good work, Clump. I would say in general the Bills management is about as well prepared as anyone for the unexpected twists and turns of the real draft.

MelK
01-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets

Bills:

First move was to trade DT Ron Edwards to the Packers for a swap of 4th rd picks. (Thought process: I was going to use the higher 4th rd pick to move up in rd 2 and grab DT Kevin Williams, but his recent move up the draft boards and the pub surrounding him made him a certain 1st rd pick), so I traded down in rd 2 (#2,#4 for #2 and #3) because I expected to get 1 of 3 players: LB Bradie James, DT Jarret Johnson, or DL Kenny Peterson. All 3 were selected just before my pick. At that point (#56), I didn't really like the value of the defensive players available, thus I chose in rd 2: TE/WR Teyo Johnson from Stanford Why? Well, he's been compared to Tony Gonzalez. He's strictly a receiving TE and can be split out wide to create mis-matches. The expected loss of Peerless Price and Jay Riemersma and the way the mock draft played out, this selection represents solid value in rd 2. In rd 3 (#79), I was hoping for LB Mario Haggan, DL Nick Eason, or DT Colin Cole to be available but again all were selected. I then decided that LB Eddie Strong from Ole Miss was the best value at that point and also felt that he would not make it to my next pick in rd 3 (#91). Strong is a versatile LB who can play MLB and can also project to SOLB. He can also add speed to special teams. At #91, I was targeting DT Kenny King from Alabama and he was there. Again, versatility plays apart of my draft strategy as King can play both DT and DE. Because of the previous trade, I have no 4th rd pick, so I have to wait until the 5th rd. I'll look at S and interior OL but won't pass up the best player available at whatever position it may be.

Recap:

2-TE/WR Teyo Johnson(Stanford)
3-LB Eddie Strong(Mississippi)
3-DT Kenny King(Alabama)
5-later this weekend
6-
7-

:feedback:

I'm not sold on your trades with the "hope" of getting a particular player - I think you jumped the gun.

The Bills made a lot of hay in the 2001 draft because they had a number of players they liked available when it was their turn to draft- thus the trade of the #1 pick to TB for their #1 and #2.

You traded a DL and picks to move up only to be dissapointed they were all gone. I would have waited to deal with a team who was on the clock to move up and get your guy.

Seattle got burned at the last draft trading up hoping to get TE Graham, only to get the rug pulled out from under them. The TE they drafted probably would have fell to them anyway and they would still have the pick they dealt to move up.

MelK
01-24-2003, 11:31 PM
In the end, you lost a player and did not fill the position you wanted.

clumping platelets
01-25-2003, 06:38 AM
My third rd pick replaces Edwards. I moved up in rd 4 to better position myself for an opportunity at moving up in rd 2. When Kevin Williams was selected, I didn't trade my 2nd rd pick until the players I wanted were gone. I waited until I was "on the clock" to trade down.

clumping platelets
01-27-2003, 09:53 PM
5th rd

C Bruce Nelson from Iowa

see 1st post for details

clumping platelets
01-29-2003, 11:07 AM
traded Bills 6th rd pick to Atlanta for their 6th & 7th :)

Aero II
01-29-2003, 03:26 PM
It must be nice to have that kind of relationship with the Atlanta GM.

TigerJ
01-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Kenny King has dropped some because he hasn't been that impressive in the bowl season. Do you think he can upgrade the Bills at all, CP?

BADTHINGSMAN
01-29-2003, 09:20 PM
I like the idea of T.Johnson. Why pay for a TE and WR both when you save alot of cash finding a guy that can play both.

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 07:01 AM
No way Carson Palmer falls into the Bears lap at #4.

Either the Bungles take him or someone trades up to snag him.

MelK
01-30-2003, 08:27 AM
<h3>Kenny King-Alabama</h3>

(6-5, 277, estimated 4.95 40 time)

2002 Season Stats: 12 games, 51 tackles, 10 total tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 1 pass broken up, 1 fumble recovery, 2 forced fumbles

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 47 tackles, 2.5 total tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 1interception, 2 passes broken up, 3 fumble recoveries

Positives: Is quick and has very good athletic ability for an interior defensive lineman. Versatile player who has played at several defensive line positions while at Alabama. Is a very intelligent individual.

Negatives: Lacks ideal defensive tackle size. Has good weight-room numbers but doesn’t show that type of strength on the field. Has had some shoulder problems in the past.

Overall analysis: King has been a four-year starter while at Alabama and never red-shirted. King is a versatile lineman, having played at several spots along the line during his college career. King is a very good athlete for an interior defensive lineman; he is quick and very mobile. However, he doesn’t have great size and is not a superior athlete when projecting him outside. And while King had flashes of brilliance during his Alabama career, over the last couple of seasons he has not been a dominating or eye-catching type player. Currently King carries a high day two grade, but will need to do a good job in individual workouts if he is to maintain that status.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-30-2003, 08:30 AM
<h3>Teyo Johnson-Stanford (sophomore)</h3>

(6-7, 240, estimated 4.72 40 time)

2002 Season Stats (as a wide receiver): 11 games, 41 catches, 467 receiving yards, 8 receiving touchdowns /// 1 carry, -2 rushing yards, 0 rushing touchdowns

2001 Season Stats (as a wide receiver): 11 games, 38 catches, 565 receiving yards, 7 receiving touchdowns

Positives: Possesses great height and can use it to create mismatches down the field and in the red zone. Has pretty good speed for a tight end prospect.

Negatives: Played wide receiver in college, and is a wide receiver/tight end tweener in terms of playing in the NFL. Is probably not fast and quick enough to be a top NFL wide receiver, and may not have the build to be a top NFL tight end. Has no experience as an in-line blocker. Had two years of college eligibility remaining, and probably would have been wise to use them.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-30-2003, 08:34 AM
I think King is a HUGE reach- I'm sure he would have been available in the 5th rd.

Positional Rankings DE

1. Jerome McDougle, Miami
2. Michael Haynes, Penn State
3. Kindal Moorehead, Alabama
4. Terrell Suggs, Arizona State *
5. DeWayne White, Louisville *
6. Cory Redding, Texas
7. Alonzo Jackson, Florida State
8. Chris Kelsay, Nebraska
9. Aaron Hunt, Texas Tech
10. Jimmy Wilkerson, Oklahoma *
11. Calvin Pace, Wake Forest
12. Andrew Williams, Miami
13. Antonio Garay, Boston College (XX)
14. Tyler Brayton, Colorado
15. Kenny King, Alabama

He's not on a lot of top 150- draft boards

MelK
01-30-2003, 08:36 AM
<h3>Eddie Strong-Mississippi</h3>

(6-4, 245, estimated 4.87 40 time)

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 105 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 4 passes broken up, 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble

Positives: A big linebacker who has great strength for his size. A productive player who has the knack for making the big play. Has played all three linebacker positions during his college career.

Negatives: Does not have the speed that NFL scout’s prefer. Is strong but sometime plays too high and negates his playing strength. Has had some injury problems in the past.

Overall analysis: After missing the 2000 college season with a stress fracture in his foot, Strong needed to have a good 2001 season to remain a legitimate NFL prospect. Strong responded by having a very good junior season while playing strong side linebacker for Mississippi. As a senior Strong will move inside, which is notable since he will have spent full season starting at the weak side linebacker position (1999), the strong side linebacker position (2001) and the middle linebacker position (2002). Strong has great power for a player of his size and always seems to be around the ball. When healthy he has been a very productive player in the SEC. However, he lacks great speed and that will likely cost him on draft day. He also needs to play with his pads lower on a more consistent basis. Currently Strong is grading in the late second/early third round area of the upcoming NFL draft.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Strong was a very good pick from that spot.

clumping platelets
01-30-2003, 08:38 AM
What about Teyo??

MelK
01-30-2003, 08:40 AM
<h3>Bruce Nelson-/C/-Iowa</h3>

(6-4, 290, estimated 5.13 40 time)

Positives: An overachiever who is smart and gets the most out of his ability. Understands how to play the position and does a nice job of using his hands to redirect defenders. Has seen extensive playing time at center, left guard and left tackle during his college football career.

Negatives: Lacks ideal size and strength and can get out-muscled by bigger defensive tackles. Will have some trouble anchoring.

Overall analysis: A former walk on at Iowa, Nelson quickly established himself as a quality player when he earned a starting spot in his redshirt freshman season. Nelson has been a starter ever since, and has played at left tackle, left guard and center. Nelson lacks ideal size and strength, and will likely be limited to the center position at the next level. Although he may not be what an NFL team is looking for physically, Nelson is a very smart player who understands how to be an effective offensive lineman. He has pretty good short area quickness, and does a nice job of using his hands to put himself in an advantageous position. He really showed great improvement as a senior, and was named a first team All-Big 10 performer. The quality of Nelson’s play as a senior was so impressive that he now carries a sixth round grade and could end up going much higher than that once the 2003 NFL draft arrives. This is a player to keep an eye on.
NFL Draft Blitz

Top available Centers in the draft

1. Al Johnson, Wisconsin
2. Alonzo Ephraim, Alabama
3. Brett Romberg, Miami
4. Jeff Faine, Notre Dame *
5. Dan Koppen, Boston College
6. Ben Claxton, Mississippi
7. Wayne Lucier, Colorado
8. Gene Mruckowski, Purdue
9. Austin King, Northwestern
10. Bruce Nelson, Iowa

MelK
01-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
What about Teyo??

Well, your opening statement about what FA brings the Bills will play a big role.

If the Bills get a Brandon Noble and/ or a Colvin or Spikes, then I really like Teyo Johnson.

One thing to consider though, (and you already know this) Some Cap casualty plumbs like Sam Adams and others won't possibly be known/ be on the market until June 1, 5 weeks after the draft.

And I'm sure TD isn't going to blow his whole cap space nut before the draft- in case some vets shake loose.

clumping platelets
02-01-2003, 08:45 AM
6th rd pick: FS Hanik Milligan (Houston)

7th rd pick: DE Dan Rumishek (Michigan)

7th rd pick: RB Antoineo Harris (Illinois)