PDA

View Full Version : Another Head Coach Position Filled.... Linehan to coach the Rams!

Michael82
01-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Another head coaching position is filled and now the Dolphins have an opening for OC. Maybe they can grab Mularkey now. :snicker:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9173717

Expect the St. Louis Rams to make an announcement on their next head coach shortly -- probably by Friday and no later than Monday. And expect that head coach to be Miami Dolphins' assistant Scott Linehan.

League sources confirmed that Linehan, the Dolphins' offensive coordinator, is the choice of an organization that Wednesday completed its second round of interviews by consulting with Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Linehan and San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron had their second interviews earlier.

Originally, the Rams were expected to hire a defensive assistant, largely because of problems the club had on that side of the ball this year (only Houston allowed more points). But the more club executives tossed around the idea the more they decided an offensive head coach might be the ticket -- largely because they believed they could straighten out the league's 30th-ranked defense by choosing a candidate from a reservoir deep with solid defensive coordinators.

That decision, of course, will belong to Linehan, but look for someone like Jim Bates, who was the Packers' defensive coordinator last year, or the New York Jets' Donnie Henderson to be among the candidates.

Michael82
01-18-2006, 08:26 PM
And this would be why we gotta hurry up and hire Sherman, so we can still get the solid Coordinators out there....

That decision, of course, will belong to Linehan, but look for someone like Jim Bates, who was the Packers' defensive coordinator last year, or the New York Jets' Donnie Henderson to be among the candidates.

!Papacrunk!
01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
He made some questionable playcalling, but it's unforunate for continuity sake-- I just hope we can keep the same OC for a while. Would Mularkey be like Nor Turner--maybe not a good enough HC, but a better OC?? If he leaves so be it, I wish him the best of luck. AS long as we keep Hudson Houck for a long while, the OC stuff will fall into place.

ICE74129
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Well the lions are apperantly finishing up their HC pick tonight. So that realistically leaves the Raiders and the Bills. The Texans are hiring Kubiak so that is just a matter of time.

come on Ralph and marv. You had the best guy possible in today, just hire him and cut the crap!

Novacane
01-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Would Mularkey be like Nor Turner--maybe not a good enough HC, but a better OC?? .

No. He's not even a good OC. Reports are he was on thin ice in Pitt when Donahoe made him our HC.

Michael82
01-18-2006, 08:36 PM
No. He's not even a good OC. Reports are he was on thin ice in Pitt when Donahoe made him our HC.
He was going to be fired, but then the Steelers realized that they could keep him while he goes thru the interview process and save money if he's hired. That's exactly what the Bills did with Jerry Gray this year.

Mr. Miyagi
01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
And this would be why we gotta hurry up and hire Sherman, so we can still get the solid Coordinators out there....
The longer the Bills make no moves, the more I think that we already have Sherman locked up, with Jim Bates coming in handcuffed. That's why we're not in a hurry to compete with other teams with openings.

I hope so at least. :pray:

Michael82
01-18-2006, 08:41 PM
The longer the Bills make no moves, the more I think that we already have Sherman locked up, with Jim Bates coming in handcuffed. That's why we're not in a hurry to compete with other teams with openings.

I hope so at least. :pray:
Me too, man! Me too.

Just think, Jim Bates knows the Miami Dolphins defense inside and out, at least most of it. Plus, he knows the rest of the AFC East. It would be an excellent addition. :up:

!Papacrunk!
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Jim Bates is awesome. I'm wondering why they don't interview him for a HC position, but at least he'd make a good DC for you guys.
Another Linehan tidbit--he's pretty good w/ young QBs (not that anyone may want to hear this, but probably a good reason Sage was able to be successful when he played,) so that's too bad if he was to leave--depending on who Miami may draft at QB.

!Papacrunk!
01-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Me too, man! Me too.

Just think, Jim Bates knows the Miami Dolphins defense inside and out, at least most of it. Plus, he knows the rest of the AFC East. It would be an excellent addition. :up:

Good point, but Miami's D is all Saban now. At the least he may know some tendancies, but the naive person in me says that he wouldn't do that to us, since the organization treated him great when he was here.

Static
01-18-2006, 08:54 PM
yeah i think jim bates deserves a shot some where, but i don't believe that our defense is the same as it was when he was here

Michael82
01-18-2006, 09:08 PM
yeah i think jim bates deserves a shot some where, but i don't believe that our defense is the same as it was when he was here
it's not the same. But there are a bunch of the same players and Bates knows their quirks, what makes them tick.

Typ0
01-18-2006, 09:17 PM
one of the rules of job hunting is never accept an offer the day it's given to you.

Nublar7
01-18-2006, 09:43 PM
it's not the same. But there are a bunch of the same players and Bates knows their quirks, what makes them tick.Most likely, 9 of our defensive starters next year won't even have been on the team when Bates was here. Heck, we had 8 new starters this season! So, Bates has no advantage over the Dolphins anymore.

Also, if the Bills do hire him as their DC(which they won't) he probably won't be with the team for more then one or two seasons.

gr8slayer
01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
That sucks for the Phins, and the Rams.

Nublar7
01-18-2006, 10:13 PM
That sucks for the Phins, and the Rams.It's a blow, but it isn't going to be that devastating. Saban will find a qualified candidate to replace him, and hopefully they can make somewhat of a seamless transition. Best move might be promoting from in-house and make Charlie Baggett the new OC. He worked with Saban when he was at MSU and worked with Linehan at Minnesota.

LtFinFan66
01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Me too, man! Me too.

Just think, Jim Bates knows the Miami Dolphins defense inside and out, at least most of it. Plus, he knows the rest of the AFC East. It would be an excellent addition. :up:KNEW the Dolphin defense. Last years version. We changed our D this year almost completely. Won't get much help there