• Jun 2024

Excellent Sabres article on ESPN

Must read

HERE
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Excellent Sabres article on ESPN

Ruff and GM Darcy Regier addressed the group and told them this season wasn't going to be about hanging on, just hoping to make the playoffs. They told them that the stakes had gone up for the franchise.
    I've been thinking this for a while just haven't had time to say it. I think we have to really step back and take a look at the jobs Ruff and Regier have done to get this team to where it is. I have a feeling Ruff may be headed for the coach of the year award. Regier has brought in such a firm base of young talent that this team looks poised to really have a future. To think, a lot of fans two and three years ago wanted a sniper to pick him off because he brought in guys like Campbell and Connelley.

Ruff, well not enough can be said about the integrity, character, commitment and ability of this team right now. These guys have the right attitude and they are extreemly prepared to go out there and win games. The only complaints I ever had about Ruff were his teams seemed to come out of the gate too slowly. Well that complaint is no more. Let's keep this guy around until we win a cup!

Another guy I want to give some credit to is Thomas Vanek. It probably was the first 15 games of the season I really thought Vanek was playing ahead of our offensive game. He seemed to be making big league plays in the passing game and the rest of us weren't catching on. But that has changed and we went on a big run to climb back near the top of the standings.

One tid bit that should be noted from the article:

"Tom [Golisano] and Larry Quinn [managing partner] made a decision that we weren't going to do what got us into trouble in the past," Regier said. "We weren't going to buy something the organization couldn't afford. And we weren't going to pay more than what we thought the value of the player was."

Now we know why we don't have any high (over) priced free agents and you can't just pin it on Regier.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Great read Clump thanks for sharing.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
        • Feb 2005

My old man works out with Larry Carriere, x-Sabre who works for the Capitols. He also works out with one of the scouts for the Sabres. Carriere and my dad were both discussing what a great job the Sabres have done bringing in young talent.

Comment

• Myers57
          Registered User and McLovin stunt double
          • Sep 2003

wow i poisted this article 2 weeks ago!

lol

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Actually Vanek has been playing like Crap for the last 6 or 7 games. He is a rookie so I won't get on him too hard.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              Actually Vanek has been playing like Crap for the last 6 or 7 games. He is a rookie so I won't get on him too hard.
              I agree he has been having some problems...but I was talking about the way the season started. I think he had a lot to do with firing up our offense and getting so many people involved in the scoring. I think Vanek is a little beat up right now and needs to stay in the line up.

Comment

Working...
              X