PDA

View Full Version : Tom Donahoe talks with Howard Simon

Michael82
01-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Here are highlights from Bills GM Tom Donahoe's appearance on the Howard Simon Show Friday afternoon on WNSA:

Simon: There was a story in Pittsburgh this week about the Steelers contacting Dick LeBeau. Is he still someone you're having conversations with that you'd like to add to this staff?

TD: We are going to sit down with Dick LeBeau probably within the next week to ten days and talk about exactly what his role would be if we come here. I think that's the next phase that has to be done and it has to be done by the coaches. It's not something that I want to be involved in. There has to be a fit and it has to be something that's desireable to Dick LeBeau and something that would work with our coaches. We like to think that we're still in the mix with Coach LeBeau and he's interested. I have talked to him and he's expressed that to me, so we'll see in the next couple of weeks where it ends up.
-----------------------------------------
Simon: Would you anticipate going after a big name free agent?

TD: Our philosophy is to make our team better and we have to look at all the ways to do it. We'll look at free agency. We'll look at people that might be able to be acquired in trades. We'll look at the draft. The one thing that fans have to remember is that free agency is a long period of time, it's not just the first week. Sometimes you're better off going out quickly and trying to sign somebody and sometimes you're better off waiting to see what the landscape looks like. I think the biggest key is that you have to be flexible. I don't think you can box yourself into saying "we're gonna do this and we're gonna do that." Things change a lot of times once it begins. A lot of guys will become available that are not available at the beginning of free agency because of the cap, because of their salaries, because of contracts. You just have to be patient and work your way through the process.
-----------------------------------------
Simon: What do you think of a guy like Spikes or Colvin if you were able to make a play for them?

TD: I'm not allowed to talk about them. Once the free agency period begins I can discuss them but before that time it's a tampering issue with the league. A lot of these players that the fans think are going to be out there may be re-signed or tagged by their team, so until free agency starts we're not sure what the list is going to look like.

FOR MORE...
CLICK HERE (http://www.empiresports.com/billsreport.shtml)

venis2k1
01-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Good work mike

venis2k1
01-24-2003, 03:55 PM
"We were hearing some talk that you guys might be considering shifting Nate Clements to safety. Is that a consideration for next season? "

I think Howard is just making stuff up now.

Michael82
01-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Simon: Have you had any talks with the agent for Peerless Price at this point?
TD: Not within the last couple of weeks. We did have some toward the end of the season. We did agree to talk before free agency begins. Some of that probably will take place after we get through with the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl.

Michael82
01-24-2003, 03:56 PM
I agree. I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about that. :rolleyes:

LtBillsFan66
01-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Sounds like they are considering slapping a tag on Peerless.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Now that's reporting.

Even though all you did was cut and paste. Fat pansie. :down:

JJamezz
01-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Nate at safety?!?! Where the hell did THAT one come from!

:dizzy:

venis2k1
01-24-2003, 05:14 PM
:guitar: :band:

LABillsFan
01-24-2003, 08:08 PM
It's interesting that TD puts the responsibility on GW when it comes to LeBeau. He said "It's not something I want to be involved in". What's he going to do then, sit around and drink coffee?

TigerJ
01-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Right now with the coaching issues, it seems the Bills are damned if they do and damned if they don't. TD says it's up to the coaches to see if hiring Dick LeBeau would be a good fit with the present coaching staff, and fans comment that he's not doing his job. If he says, I'll be makeing a decision soon about that, then fans would comment that it's a sign that GW has been stripped of authority and is on the ropes. As it is there are a bunch of fans right know who will swear that TD is lying when he says it's up to the coaches. My aren't we hard to please.

TigerJ
01-24-2003, 10:39 PM
I clicked on the link Mike provided and found some of the coments about players Buffalo just signed as interesting as Howard Simon's dumb question about Nate Clements.

Hardge was obviously a small school player under the radar screen of NFL scouts. I don't know if he has any cover ability, but he has enough height to fill the need Buffalo has for a taller CB in some situations (if he can cover, unlike Chris Watson).

I like the fact that De'Mond Parker is physically unlike any of the Bills curent running backs, who are all in the 210- 230 lb range. Parker is small, and according to some extremely fast. I think it would be helpful to have a change of pace guy.

I don't know if any of them will be anything more then training camp fodder, but at least there might be roles that these two could fill if they have the ability.

LABillsFan
01-25-2003, 02:17 AM
Uh tiger,
"Drinking coffee" is what TD himself said wasn't the reason why Ralph hired him. It's a joke dude. My aren't we edgy.