PDA

View Full Version : Bills can take their time to hire next head coach

Bmax
01-19-2006, 12:40 AM
I know some of you are in a big hurry but these are the facts.

1. Mike sherman will be there for us
2. Jim Haslett still will be interviewed...and why not the guy is a good candidate.
MY BET IS THAT IT HAPPENS THIS WEEKEND..
3. Our choice for Def Co-Ted Cotrell will be available. If not there are still talanted guys out there
4. We need to excecise our leverage to get the price down.
5. Haslett has no other teams looking at him neither does sherman.
6. The senior bowl the major networking site for coaches is not until Jan 28th We will pick a coach by then

I have thought that the process would take 10-14 days and we are on pace to be done by then.. After all it's only been a week.

Bmax

Michael82
01-19-2006, 01:34 AM

2. Jim Haslett still will be interviewed...and why not the guy is a good candidate.
3. Our choice for Def Co-Ted Cotrell will be available. If not there are still talanted guys out there
6. The senior bowl the major networking site for coaches is not until Jan 28th We will pick a coach by then

I have thought that the process would take 10-14 days and we are on pace to be done by then.. After all it's only been a week.

Bmax
Umm, who wants Ted Cottrell as Coordinator? From what I've been reading...everyone is excited with Mike Sherman bringing Jim Bates. Myself included.

Also, we don't just need a head coach by the Senior Bowl...we really need to have most of our staff by then...or at least our Head Coach and Coordinators. They need to be there to evaluate the talent along with the scouts.

vicmantak
01-19-2006, 04:44 AM
Great suggestion!

Time is telling us that patience is the best weapon. Right now it seems that the Buffalo Bills are the last reliable choice for all the front runners (Sherman, Jauron and Haslett...)
I'm sure Sherman or Haslett would have been 3 times more expensive only 2 days before.

On the other hand, at least, I want to see the Art Shell interviewed by the Bills.

Historian
01-19-2006, 04:51 AM
I agree.

They've made too many decisions in haste over the past 5 years.

Take your time with this one.

The_Philster
01-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Umm, who wants Ted Cottrell as Coordinator? .:wave: I wouldn't say no to Bates but I'd love to see Ted back here...he knows how to utilize CBs better than Gray ever has

don137
01-19-2006, 06:29 AM
One problem with that theory...While the Bills do not have any competition for a head coach there will be great competition for the coordinators and position coaches. If they wait much longer the great ones will be snapped up quickly. I already heard Bates to be rumored for the DC position in St Louis.

ICE74129
01-19-2006, 06:50 AM
first off screw ted cotrell. He isn't qualified to be our HC. Second he hasn't done spit since leaving here. AGAIN, the past is the past...leave it there.

And yeah, lets wait just so we MIGHT pay less money to a HC Candidate. That is the way to do it. (sarcasm off). You pay the best man and cut the crap. The longer you wait the harder it is on him to field a good staff!

Some morons will say 'But ICE some of the HC candidates will accept coordinator positions' Well yeah....for a year. then they are out the damn door, so we start all over again.

Here is a concept, How about old ralph and old marv just hire the best guy and that is sherman. The man is a proven winner, and his guys played thier butts off for him. At the very onset he was the best man available, but maybe that is the problem.

I am seeing all of these teams hire young guys they can CONTROL! They can limit the power they have and base it on inexperience. That is pure BS! That is also why I feel Jauron will be HC. Marv wants it. But because ralph won't allow it, he will hire his buddy who will do what he says since he can't get a gig anywhere else. More and more teams are doing this and I don't see why. Bob Kraft, Jerry Richardson, The Rooneys (you know...owners of SUCCESSFUL TEAMS) are more hands off owners. Yeah they show up and glad hand people, but they dont' mess with the team and let the coaches do what they need to.

I still say Ralph should have called Ron Wolf, Hired him if he could. Hired sherman and bates and went from there. I am really starting to regret bringing back Marv.

Jeff1220
01-19-2006, 06:54 AM
I agree with the basic sentiment of the initial post. The Bills are on pace, and they shouldn't rush. There is time and, I think, the only competition out there right now for coaches is St. Louis and Oakland. However, I don't think money is the reason they should avoid rushing into things...they should avoid rushing into things so they can make the best choice.

ublinkwescore
01-19-2006, 07:44 AM

Bmax

Mark my words, if we don't get Sherman, and soon, the Raiders will start to look at him - whether or not he'd be dumb enough to bite on anything that reeks of Al Davis is beyond me - hopefully not.

TigerJ
01-19-2006, 07:54 AM
I think it's pretty clear the Bills have all but decided their next coach will be Mike Sherman. It's also pretty clear that if Mike Sherman is the head coach, then the odds on favorite to become DC is Jim Bates. The Bills have identified their token minority interview, so as soon as that's out of the way they can name Sherman. Unless they suddenly got the hots for some coordinator who's still in the playoffs, there's really no reason to wait. Go ahead and do it.

Meathead
01-19-2006, 08:22 AM
go ahead just try to fight the gewawo i dare you