PDA

View Full Version : Can I be honest?

Historian
01-19-2006, 05:43 AM
None of these guys really excite me.

I'll take any one of them, I'll always root for the Bills, but none of them makes me stand up and say...."Okay Historian, this team is on it's way!"

I like Sherman. He had great numbers in Green Bay, no doubt, but he also inherited a Super Bowl team from Holmgren, as well as a Hall of Fame quarterback who just may go down as the best ever. Were his numbers artificially inflated because of this? Time will tell.

I like Jauron. He was an assistant here in 1985, so he knows the area. He had that great year when the Bears were 13-3, but 5 or 6 of those games were won on a last play fluke, ala the 1980 Browns Cardiac Kids. Could this be his time? Could be, his career sort of parallels that of Belichek, and he's worked for two other cheap organizations before.

Haslett would be my first preference, but for sentimental reasons only. He had low to moderate success in New Orleans, that place has ended several Hall of Fame Coaches careers. So possibly, any NO numbers are deflated.

James Lofton? Please.

Understand me....anybody would be an improvement over Mularkey and Williams, but like I said, none of these people get me excited for the coming season.

Earthquake Enyart
01-19-2006, 06:11 AM
I totally agree with you.

vicmantak
01-19-2006, 06:16 AM
I like any of them but what about Art Shell?
By charisma and numbers, he is well ahead of any front-runner...

don137
01-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Didn't Sherman replace Ray Rhodes? I thought Rhodes went 8-8 from the team he inherited from Holgren and was fired. Sherman then brought the team back..

Historian
01-19-2006, 06:22 AM
I've never seen charisma and Art Shell used in the same sentence Vic, lol.

He's certainly qualified, but why all the sudden? He was dismissed from the Raiders how many years ago? Has he even had a sniff since then?

And again, was it his coaching skills, or Al Davis'organization that was responsible for his success? I don't know.

All I can say is that he doesn't do much for me either.

LtFinFan66
01-19-2006, 06:29 AM
I've never seen charisma and Art Shell used in the same sentence Vic, lol.

He's certainly qualified, but why all the sudden? He was dismissed from the Raiders how many years ago? Has he even had a sniff since then?

And again, was it his coaching skills, or Al Davis'organization that was responsible for his success? I don't know.

All I can say is that he doesn't do much for me either.Dolphins interviewed him last year. Probably only to get the minority interview required by the league though. They wanted Saban all along

Jan Reimers
01-19-2006, 06:44 AM
I simply like the fact that the two front runners are in their 50s with NFL head coaching experience.

The last two young wunderkinds proved to be in over their heads. I may just be gun shy, but I'm tired of experiments. Many of our key players are young, so I think a more experienced coach is the best choice.

Historian
01-19-2006, 06:49 AM
I simply like the fact that the two front runners are in their 50s with NFL head coaching experience.

The last two young wunderkinds proved to be in over their heads. I may just be gun shy, but I'm tired of experiments. Many of our key players are young, so I think a more experienced coach is the best choice.

I agree wholeheartedly.

But these candidates just don't inspire me.

Jeff1220
01-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Didn't Sherman replace Ray Rhodes? I thought Rhodes went 8-8 from the team he inherited from Holgren and was fired. Sherman then brought the team back..

I forgot about that. You are absolutely right...I just looked it up. Sherman went w/Mike Holmgren to Seattle for a year as OC, then back to GB as HC.

vicmantak
01-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Billsology,

It's true, Art Shell is not charismatic at all... but I think Bills have time to still looking for the best choice.

Anyway, if you want something to add some histamina to this team...
WHAT ABOUT JIMMY JOHNSON?
What happened to him? Didn't Ralph Wilson contacted him for this job?

Historian
01-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Agreed.

And honestly, I hadn't seen Log's thread when I started this one.

Earthquake Enyart
01-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Marv is interviewing Art Shell because he still feels guilty about 51-3. :snicker:

TedMock
01-19-2006, 08:20 AM
I forgot about that. You are absolutely right...I just looked it up. Sherman went w/Mike Holmgren to Seattle for a year as OC, then back to GB as HC.

Yes, and the team was actually quite different two years after Holmgren left. Favre is the main staple, and he's obviously been there. Under Holmgren, Bennett and Levens did most of the ball carrying. Antonio Freeman and Robert Brooks were the WR's and Mark Chmura was the pro-bowl TE. Ray Rhodes is a good coach that came in the middle of a transition in 1999. Sherman took the job in 2000 and got the team back on track. However, with Sherman, the RB was now Ahman Green, the TE Bubba Franks, and the WR's Shroeder, then Driver and Walker.

So, he actually did not inherit Holmgren's boys. My uncle made the same comment which prompted me to do some research. I was actually under the same belief until I looked it up.

Typ0
01-19-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm excited about jauron and sherman. I was excited about GW and never liked malarkey.

Jauron: his tenure in Chicago was a very dark period in their history. They really were lacking management talent at that time. I can get excited about Jauron because I think he's smart and knows how to put together a football team and run a game. You can say that cinderella 13-3 season was because of luck...but it was the coach that put the players in the position to get the luck in the first place. I wonder what any of his teams there would have done with a decent QB.

Sherman: The guy is a high character work horse who knows how to work with his players strengths. The quality of his coaching has been hindered by Favre who is a living legend. I love the way Sherman would shove Ahman Green down the opponents throats when he was healthy.

GW: I lent him a lot of support. I got frustrated with the way he made some decisions during games. I think he got blinded by Kevin Gilbride here. I also think GW is going to be a top knotch head coach in the league some day I can see it in his preparation and the work ethic and respect he imposes on the players.

Mularkey: Never liked the guy from day one because I don't like his system.

RedEyE
01-19-2006, 08:42 AM
I actually really liked Wade Philips. Wouldn't mind seeing him back in B-lo.

Voltron
01-19-2006, 08:55 AM
I actually really liked Wade Philips. Wouldn't mind seeing him back in B-lo.
Did Ralph die? Did hell freeze over? Because if those 2 things happen simultaneously then he may have a chance to come back :snicker: