X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Is Josh Reed the Real Deal?

I have been thinking about this for several days now, and I'm not so sure if I'm sold on Josh Reed taking over the second receiver slot if Peerless leaves next season. Reed seems to have created waves as a rookie, posting 37 receptions for 514 yards and 2 TDs. While I will agree that those are fine numbers for a rookie other things should be taken into consideration before just handing him the position?

Let's be serious for a moment; Playing underneath/across the middle while Price and Moulds are both spreading out the secondary downfield is hardly an accomplishment. Both Price and Moulds were drawing double teams all season. D-Cos obviously prepared and secondaries were spooked into preventing the long ball. With Henry or Centers out of the back field, and/or Moore and Reimersma releasing off the line from the TE slot, Reed is automatically found "softly" covered out in front. This would also increase Reed's yards after the run when left one on one and tacklers spread thin.

Which brings up my second point. Buffalo relied on the pass to open the run for most of the season. Considering this and as many times as Drew went to the air, I'm really suprised that Reed didn't find the ball more often. Why is that? Perhaps he wasn't finding the holes necessary to make the plays. Possibly giving into D covers rather then sifting through them? Forcing Drew to throw down field?

I guess what I'm saying is the talent of the Bills O was probabaly enabling Reed to shine. I think that the Bills could have challenged Reed's abilities more this past season. With the exception of the game against Minnesota, I can't think of another game that Reed really stood out as a starter.

Without Price, Moulds instantly becomes the only deep threat on the team. Reed's height (5-10) obviously keeps him pinned to routes across the middle and on the inner flats. I think if Reed is going to work in Buffalo, another half~way decent reciever has to be signed (Doubtful Charles Johnson being that reciever.) The pressure on Reed is going to be even greater this upcoming season if the Bills lose both JayR and PP. The less threats involved in the scheme, the more Drew will have to rely on his two primary WRs to get it done. So do you think that Josh Reed could be a true 2nd WR?

Last edited by RedEyE; 01-25-2003, 06:29 PM.
  • CalBillsFan
    • Jul 2002

Interesting point. To me it is unknown how well Josh will do in his career. One question I have. If it is true that Price and Moulds were really opening up the middle so much. Why then did out TE (especially JR) hardly get any catches?

Also, Reed did much better in his rookie season than either Moulds or Price. Its a legitamate (sp?) concern but I would not be too worried. From all accounts Reed is a very solid receiver.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

The only thing keeping reed from being a future #1 WR IMO is his lack of speed. He runs great routes, and he runs hard. He is tough after the catch, and he has good hands.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by CalBillsFan
        . One question I have. If it is true that Price and Moulds were really opening up the middle so much. Why then did out TE (especially JR) hardly get any catches?

Good question. I can't beleive that all of the Bills receivers were failing to adjust to the blitz. Perhaps Drew wasn't reading blitzes appropriatley or perhaps he truly had trouble locating the soft covered man?

Comment

• CalBillsFan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE

Good question. I can't beleive that all of the Bills receivers were failing to adjust to the blitz. Perhaps Drew wasn't reading blitzes appropriatley or perhaps he truly had trouble locating the soft covered man?
          Sorry, I should have made it clear when i said JR i ment Jay Riemersma. Reed was the only one really getting open over the middle (besides Moulds and Price).
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• 4thAndLong
            I'm Really 4 and Short
            • Sep 2002

Thats true, but in this offense the 3rd receiver wasn't on the field too much...This isn't Oakland where Porter is involved in alot.

Comment

• kgun12
              • Jul 2002

The same things were said about ANDRE Reed out of little Kunztown St. he was slow to small to due anything else but go over the middle. JOSH is no Andre, YET!

Prior to the draft last year Bill Polin was asked about Josh Reed, he said Andre Reed without the attitude.
              Retired Air Traffic Controller
              USAF VETERAN
              DAV

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

Besides his a ROOKIE! He is suppose to have trouble reading Defenses.
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• MissBuffalo
                  Quiddity
                  • Jul 2002

IMO Josh is going to be a very solid and capable 2nd WR if Price leaves. I was shocked when we drafted him, but I think he's got the talent. I agree venis, he does lack speed, so he won't be as explosive after the catch as Price.
                  See me here pushing you
                  If I then deny I do
                  Contemplate or wish away
                  If I ask you not to stay

Comment

• kgun12
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MissBuffalo
                    IMO Josh is going to be a very solid and capable 2nd WR if Price leaves. I was shocked when we drafted him, but I think he's got the talent. I agree venis, he does lack speed, so he won't be as explosive after the catch as Price.
                    Miss Buffalo J. Reed had one of the highest yards after catch averages in College his senior year.
                    USAF VETERAN
                    DAV

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

josh reed reminds me completely of hines ward..

just because he is small and runs a 4.5 doesnt mean he cant get open deep... ward is a perfect example... if you break a dbs ankles when you come out of your cut, you are going to get open. good receivers dont just run a straight line down the field. they set up the fake slant or fake out/post, then turn it up field. josh can do that. and he is gonna be a beast to bring down afterwards

i am seriously not worried about him starting.. not at all.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TypicalBill
                        • Sep 2002

2001 SEASON
                        Biletnikoff Award winner, given to the nation's top receiver … First-team All-America pick by The NFL Draft Report, Walter Camp, Associated Press, Football Writers Association, CNNSI.com, ABC Sports online, Collegefootballnews.com and The Sporting News, adding second-team honors from Football News … All-Bowl Team choice by Sports Illustrated … Consensus All-Southeastern Conference first-team selection … Named Louisiana Offensive Player of the Year by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association … Set school and SEC season records with 1,740 yards receiving … Established school season records with 94 receptions (18.5 avg) and 10 games with at least 100 yards receiving … Scored seven touchdowns … Also gained 7 yards on a pair of reverses … Had five kickoff returns for 108 yards (21.6 avg) and two punt returns for 5 yards (2.5 avg).

Tulane - Opened the season with 135 yards on 6 catches and 17 yards on a kickoff return.

Utah State - Snatched 5 passes for 124 yards.

Tennessee - Grabbed 7 passes for 125 yards and a 30-yard score.

Florida - Made 6 catches for 123 yards.

Kentucky - Amassed 160 yards on 8 receptions and 16 yards on a kickoff return.

Mississippi State - Hauled in 10 passes for 146 yards, including touchdowns of 13 and 22 yards.

Mississippi - Held under 100 yards, finishing with 85 yards on 3 catches and 35 yards on a kickoff return.

Middle Tennessee - Had 9 receptions for 120 yards.

Alabama - Set school and SEC single-game records with 19 catches for 293 yards and a 25-yard touchdown, topping the old school marks of 14 grabs by Wendell Davis vs. Mississippi in 1986 and Todd Kinchen's 248 yards vs. Mississippi State in 1991, and surpassed the SEC record of 269 yards by Kentucky's Craig Yeast in 1998 … Added 40 yards on a pair of kickoff returns.

Arkansas - Gained 183 yards on 7 catches with touchdowns of 20 and 38 yards.

Auburn - Made 10 catches for 186 yards and a 17-yard score.

Tennessee (SEC Championship) - Held to under 100 yards for only the second time in 2001, as he grabbed 4 passes for 60 yards.

Illinois (Sugar Bowl) - Closed out his career in explosive fashion, setting bowl records with 14 receptions for 239 yards and touchdowns of 5 and 32 yards … He broke the old mark of nine catches that he had in the 2000 Peach Bowl, along with Wendell Davis (vs. South Carolina, 1987 Gator Bowl) and Andy Hamilton (vs. Nebraska, 1971 Orange Bowl) and the previous record of 165 yards by Hamilton (vs. Iowa State, 1971 Sun Bowl).

i think he can take over the 2nd WR spot.
                        For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Nice job TB - I was going to post in this thread last night, but I was too PO'd at the topic and some of the comments in here - I didn't want to say anything I'd regret..

Your post pretty much sums it up.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Yes- he is the real deal

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                              • Jul 2002

I agree Dozer. GREAT thread BTW. Outstanding content & Good critiques.

RE,

"Playing underneath/across the middle while Price and Moulds are both spreading out the secondary downfield is hardly an accomplishment."

The same could be said about Price however w/ all the options we had short as well. Yet he didn't always step up big.

Reed:

Pros:

Oustanding hands. When the ball hits them they're like glue.

ATC yards are his forte.

Was touted as the SECs most prolific receiver ever by some.

May not have top speed but his quickness and agility both before and after the catch more than make up for that.

Is much tougher to take down than any WRs we have and as tough as many RBs.

This guy's gonna be fine.

Price is way overrated. He won't catch more balls next year no matter where he goes. He'll be cryin' and complaining that he's being held, interfered with, etc. He'll draw more PF penalties b/c he's gonna be doubled a lot depending upon where he goes, and he'll get frustrated b/c he isn't the type of WR who can be a #1 w/o a Moulds across from him and an outstanding offense around him. If that were not the case, then he would have "broken out" sooner.

Bledsoe only threw to 3 WRs this year. Reed is very much like Troy Brown in style but better in terms of talent. Brady made much more use of Brown than Bledsoe ever did, so perhaps we'll have to take a look at the O and change some things to ensure we utilize Reed more. He can go deep just fine BTW. He did it several times this year.

Everyone will feel better next year when Price struggles somewhere else like Washington while Reed outperforms Price.
                              Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X