• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

The coaching triad should be complete.

The Shermanator, Mad Mike Martz and Jim Bates.

The next best OC to the unavailable Al Saunders, is Martz. As you can tell, Saunders and Martz offenses are almost similar since they both spent time under Vermeil in St. Louis. As i've stated before, this is the type of offense that will take advantage of Losman's talent. He didn't play in a high powered offense at tulane for nothing. There's significant evidence that points out Martz was a lousy head coach, but as an offensive coordinator, he's solid.
  • Throne Logic
    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
    • Aug 2002

Re: The coaching triad should be complete.

How badly do you wish to loose? Do you have any idea how frustrating the next 3 seasons would be with this group? Bates, I might give you, but Sherman and Martz? Uhg.

I wish we could put together some history on the play calling these two gentlemen have been responsible for over the past number of seasons. They are among the most criticized play callers in the game. Martz has even admitted his errors on at least a couple of occasions in post-game press conferences.

Martz doesn't understand the value of a balanced offensive attack. The Rams pretty much were a run and gun team centered around the amazing talent that offense had. What have they done in recent years as that talent has dwindled? Man, Martz has been standing next to Gilbride on my "I just don't know why he has a job" bulletin board.

Sherman, in regards to game-planning and play calling, is just a hack. Mularky came in with better game plans. From that point on, MM and Sherman were quite similar. Neither had any sense or reason behind the calls they made in any given situation. Sherman had more talent to work with in his first years. As the talent left, so did the wins - and quickly.
    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Actually, the Rams O was pretty good this year until Bulger went down.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Ferrygoat
        • Feb 2005

Yeah I think Martz has the stat for either one season or his career i cant remember but it was something like If the Rams ran the ball more than 9 times in a game they were undefeated....and for some odd reason they were still losing games, that guy just doesnt understand

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Throne Logic
          How badly do you wish to loose? Do you have any idea how frustrating the next 3 seasons would be with this group? Bates, I might give you, but Sherman and Martz? Uhg.

I wish we could put together some history on the play calling these two gentlemen have been responsible for over the past number of seasons. They are among the most criticized play callers in the game. Martz has even admitted his errors on at least a couple of occasions in post-game press conferences.

Martz doesn't understand the value of a balanced offensive attack. The Rams pretty much were a run and gun team centered around the amazing talent that offense had. What have they done in recent years as that talent has dwindled? Man, Martz has been standing next to Gilbride on my "I just don't know why he has a job" bulletin board.

Sherman, in regards to game-planning and play calling, is just a hack. Mularky came in with better game plans. From that point on, MM and Sherman were quite similar. Neither had any sense or reason behind the calls they made in any given situation. Sherman had more talent to work with in his first years. As the talent left, so did the wins - and quickly.
          That's why Martz would make a better coordinator than head coach. As a coordinator the head coach can tighten the reigns on him so he doesn't go balls to the wall with a pass happy offense. His niche is QBs so he could really help JP.

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

Rams under Martz
            2005 - 598 pass attempts, 380 rushes
            2004 - 581 pa's, 381 rushes
            2003 - 600 pa's, 411 rushes
            2002 - 635 pa's, 343 rushes
            2001 - 551 pa's, 416 rushes
            2000 - 587 pa's, 383 rushes

1999 under Vermeil 530 pa's, 431 rushes

2005 Buffalo Bills - 459 pa's, 428 rushes
            2004 Buffalo Bills - 461 pa's, 483 rushes

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

If the Bills could hire Martz as "passing game coordinator" I would be thrilled. The would need someone else calling plays though because of Martz's irrational dependence of passing and shunning of the running game.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Kerr
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Throne Logic, do you have anyone better in mind for offensive coordinator? Some people didn't want a rookie head coach, and that also means no rookie offensive coordinator. While Sherman and Martz have had their failures, they've also had their success ratio, which is pretty good compared to other candidates out there. I know that Martz is pass happy, but when he's on a leash as OC, he won't be so eager to pass. Sherman likes to run the ball so expect him to have some say in what Martz gameplans.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

If we bring in Martz, I hope to god Sherman makes him run the ball at least 1.5 times per set of downs.
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• HAMMER
                    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Throne Logic

Yeah, I would hate to have a high flying offense like the Rams. Score points? Nah, I like taking three points 8/10 times we are in the red zone. And that RB Marshall Faulk, boy did he suck. Martz couldn't figure out how to use him, never saw him rack up more than fifty yards a game.

Comment

Working...
                    X