PDA

View Full Version : I have to think that Sherman coaching in Buffalo is a done deal

RedEyE
01-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Why in the world would he not have been asked to interview anywhere else?

Houston and Oakland both have vacancies. Even if one of them is attempting to grab up Kubiak, they wouldn't just waste their time before initiating the process.

Let's face it, Sherman has to be the prime candidate currently available. The only one left on the shelf.

Why is no one else biting?

FlyingDutchman
01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I think(hope) youre right. This is killing me. I dont know whats more suspensful, the fact that i want to hire a coach quickly, or that i want to find out Dick Juron is NOT our coach.

hydro014
01-20-2006, 04:06 PM

Houston and Oakland both have vacancies. Even if one of them is attempting to grab up Kubiak, they wouldn't just waste their time before initiating the process.

Let's face it, Sherman has to be the prime candidate currently available. The only one left on the shelf.

IMO its because he's not the best HC prospect. I have been hearing that Jim Bates, his former DC, is more sought after than Sherman. You have to think that if he was that good of a coach he would not have lasted through this week of all the new HC being named. am i the only one that this kinda bothers? Also, some of the die hard GB fans have been laughing at the fact we might be getting him.

ublinkwescore
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
who in the hell have you been hearing that (Jim Bates being more desired than Sherman) from?

GB fans are not the smartest fans in my experience.

FlyingDutchman
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Why dont they like him in Green Bay? He had 1 losing season in 5 years. We've had 1 winning season in 5 years. Id gladly swap. In the D&C today, they said a big positive that Sherman showed was his offensive fix plan. He showed ways he could fix this offense and utilize JP Losman. Thats one of my top priorities in a coach. But back to my question, what was their reasons for findin it comical that we might get him?

hydro014
01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Not as a HC, but as a DC. But everyone with DC needs is all over him. Other than the bills no other team has put to much stock in Sherman as a HC, OC or any type of personal. Why is that, b/c he's to good, i highly doubt it. Why is marv and ralph the only ones he knocked their socks off. IMO if he was that good some other teams would want to bring him in to help their team win, i any aspect. How many teams even gave him an interview, 2, NO and NYJ, if he's that good dont you think other teams would want him, not just the bills?

ICE74129
01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
IMO its because he's not the best HC prospect. I have been hearing that Jim Bates, his former DC, is more sought after than Sherman. You have to think that if he was that good of a coach he would not have lasted through this week of all the new HC being named. am i the only one that this kinda bothers? Also, some of the die hard GB fans have been laughing at the fact we might be getting him.

I have not seen that anywhere. The 80+ member of the Tulsa Packerbackers is pissed damn near to a person that sherman was fired. My brother the Vikes fan is HAPPY the SOB is gone. So are most Bear, Lion and vikes fans.

The man is the only REAL honest to God, worth a damn, HC candidate out there. You are NEVER going to find a WINNING HC sitting on the street like this guy is.

tat2dmike77
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Why dont they like him in Green Bay? He had 1 losing season in 5 years. We've had 1 winning season in 5 years. Id gladly swap. In the D&C today, they said a big positive that Sherman showed was his offensive fix plan. He showed ways he could fix this offense and utilize JP Losman. Thats one of my top priorities in a coach. But back to my question, what was their reasons for findin it comical that we might get him?

Supposivly it's because he is the reason for the losing season. Now forget all the injuries this season that's the HC fault right. He is also responsible for them losing in all thier playoff games. Cause it's his fault that favre throws 4 picks in a game. It's also his fault that players left GB. Forget the time period were in with greedy players and no loyalty anymore.

He also supposivly runs a care free locker room that has no disipline in it and the players just do whatever they like. So basiclly to sum it up GB fans are just mad cause they hired the 49ers OC. Yeah i'm sure that will be a great improvement over sherman. The packers are screwed for sometime now. They have let players get old and useless to them.

I for one am not listening to what some disgruntled GB fans have to say about thier former coach. They just got thier panties all bunched up over nothing. IMO thier just mad cause they have not won a super bowl since the 90's. So thier all pissy about it when ever they loose in the playoffs and they will never blame Favre for a poor performence. But they will definatlly blame the HC just like they did with holmgren.

ublinkwescore
:posrep: for Ice...

hydro014

From what i have heard, its b/s he was handed a superbowl team 5 years ago and everytime they got to the playoffs they lost. Many say that the team took Sherman to the playoff those 4 years and if they had a better coach they might have went further. Also, they contribute the NFC north to a lot of his success. He let 2 pro bowl OL go last year, as a GM his drafting skills sucked (which would not affect us), every third and long was a draw play( ask a GB fan, it happened 90% of the time), and he was way to conservative, oh yeah and he was a very bad play caller.

Bufftp
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I have to think that no one knows what is going on at one geriatric drive.
I also believe the main participants on the Bills fail to remember from one candidate to the next. So the odds are the last man in, is it.

hydro014
01-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I have not seen that anywhere. The 80+ member of the Tulsa Packerbackers is pissed damn near to a person that sherman was fired. My brother the Vikes fan is HAPPY the SOB is gone. So are most Bear, Lion and vikes fans.

The man is the only REAL honest to God, worth a damn, HC candidate out there. You are NEVER going to find a WINNING HC sitting on the street like this guy is.

Then why out of 10 HC openings, are we the only team that wants him?

ublinkwescore
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Maybe because we're the first ones to learn not to put all of your eggs into the Up and Coming Coordinator basket...

Ferrygoat
01-20-2006, 04:36 PM
If Sherman was such a great coach they would not have fired him for a OC with the worst offense in the league, i mean this guy they hired hasnt shown anything, Besides being terrible. You think is Sherman was the god that you guys make him out to be, they would have dropped him for this fool?

lordofgun
01-20-2006, 04:40 PM

I disagree. If Sherman is really the guy they want, why are they still looking?

hydro014
01-20-2006, 04:43 PM

I agree 100%, i just wish i would of said it!

Ferrygoat
01-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I agree, If Sherman was the man why havent we hired him?

RedEyE
01-20-2006, 04:52 PM

That's the kunundrum. Most of the guys they've brought in late this week can also be deemed OC or DC potential. Lofton, Caldwell, Capers...

Perhaps Levy wants to just hold only one press conference rather than using Wilson's idea of deliviring information in a 5 part series.

lordofgun
01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Why would caldwell leave his OC position with the Colts to be the OC with the Bills?

RedEyE
01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Why would caldwell leave his OC position with the Colts to be the OC with the Bills?

But he's not an OC. He's the Asst HC/QB coach.

RedEyE
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Tom Moore is the OC for the Colts. To be honest I would take Moore over any other candidate previously mentioned.

lordofgun
01-20-2006, 04:57 PM
But he's not an OC. He's the Asst HC/QB coach.
Gotcha. My bad. Is OC a promotion over assistant HC?

RedEyE
01-20-2006, 05:00 PM
The Rochester D&C has been posting out a lot of **** lately.

It's also reported that Donnie Henderson will be brough in to be interviewed as well. Lofton, Henderson, Capers...all hardly HC material.

When is the last time Capers had a winning season?

RedEyE
01-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Gotcha. My bad. Is OC a promotion over assistant HC?

I think it all depends on the organization. Caldwell was previously just the Colts QB coach. Tom Moore wasn't going anywhere, but they felt it necessary to reward Caldwell. They created a position for him.

Kind of like Dick Lebeau was for Buffalo. Now he's the DC for pittsburgh.

RedEyE
01-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Also, I find it interesting that they haven't brought in Bates, Haslett, and Rivera to interview for the HC position when so many others were reported interested.

Bmax
01-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Tom Moore and peyton run the show in Indy....

I think the bills are being politcally correct.....and they may be looking for a coordinator....They will meet sat. and sunday to work out the details of price .. etc.. Announcement should be monday or tues....Look for the word to leak out some time sat or sun....

Bmax...

Marvelous
01-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Couldn't the same be said for Juron. Eithe rway we are getting a HC with exp.. almsot time to celebrate :):):)

Bill Brasky
01-20-2006, 07:33 PM
From what i have heard, its b/s he was handed a superbowl team 5 years ago and everytime they got to the playoffs they lost. Many say that the team took Sherman to the playoff those 4 years and if they had a better coach they might have went further. Also, they contribute the NFC north to a lot of his success. He let 2 pro bowl OL go last year, as a GM his drafting skills sucked (which would not affect us), every third and long was a draw play( ask a GB fan, it happened 90% of the time), and he was way to conservative, oh yeah and he was a very bad play caller.

He wasn't handed a playoff team. In fact, when he took over the Packers were 8-8 the year before. His only losing season as a coach was this season, with half his roster injured, including his 4 top RB's!

He didn't lose the playoff games, his players did. Anybody remember the playoff game where Favre threw 6 INT's against St. Louis? Or how about the guy that gave up a 4th and 26 in coverage to Freddie "I want to thank my hands" Mitchell. Or the Atlanta game where half his players where injured and Favre played like crap. It's hardly his fault his players lost games for him by playing terribly.

If Sherman was such a great coach they would not have fired him for a OC with the worst offense in the league, i mean this guy they hired hasnt shown anything, Besides being terrible. You think is Sherman was the god that you guys make him out to be, they would have dropped him for this fool?

He was fired under the same circumstanes for which Mularkey quit...

The new Packers GM wanted to bring in his own coach.

Honestly, there's no one else out there qualified to coach this team.

He presented Marv and Ralph with a plan for re-building this offense... which is exactly what some of us, myself included, have been *****ing about nonstop for 5 seasons now.

What did Jauron do to wow them? Show his friendship ring that Marv gave to him calling games in Chicago. Call me crazy, but when you go for a job interview you are suppossed to be hired based on qualifications, not who your buddies with.

Sherman has a plan, Jauron has his friendship with Levy, several losing seasons, and no resume of winning as either an assistant or HC.

They'd be crazy not hire Sherman, especially if he's willing to bring in Bates.

Instead of thinking towards 2007, we could have a shot at turning this team around in 2006 with this guy.

Throne Logic
01-20-2006, 08:36 PM

Try looking at it from the opposite position. Perhaps Sherman is "the only one left on the shelf" because he is NOT "the prime candidate currently available".

I don't like Sherman. I believe he's a hack in regards to game planning and play calling. He inherited a highly talented roster from Holmgren and has had that team in a steady decline since then. I'll have a difficult time watching the games with him at the helm. Personally, I rather hire back Wade Phillips than bring in either Sherman or Jauron (or Haslett for that matter).

Still pulling for Bobby April.

FirstDownBills
01-20-2006, 08:43 PM

Because Green Bay fans brainwashed the other teams.

hydro014
01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
He wasn't handed a playoff team. In fact, when he took over the Packers were 8-8 the year before. His only losing season as a coach was this season, with half his roster injured, including his 4 top RB's!

He didn't lose the playoff games, his players did. Anybody remember the playoff game where Favre threw 6 INT's against St. Louis? Or how about the guy that gave up a 4th and 26 in coverage to Freddie "I want to thank my hands" Mitchell. Or the Atlanta game where half his players where injured and Favre played like crap. It's hardly his fault his players lost games for him by playing terribly.

Actually, he was handed a great team, they went to the superbowl in 96' and won, in 97' they went and lost, in 98' they lost to SF on the TO catch in the playoffs. in 99' R. Rhodes took over and many fans believed the team was wore down after playing in the playoffs many years in a row, and believed that RR was not ready for a HC job. In 2001, They gave the job to Sherman and he didnt make the playoffs, he still had most of the player from the superbowls, the OL and favre. He has had, great players since then, and one of the best QB's ever and could not go deep into the playoffs. Also he played in the NFC north, enough said.

You can blame the losses on the lack of players but Jeff Fisher had a worse record with a better team and he didnt get canned.

He was fired under the same circumstanes for which Mularkey quit...

The new Packers GM wanted to bring in his own coach.

Honestly, there's no one else out there qualified to coach this team.

He presented Marv and Ralph with a plan for re-building this offense... which is exactly what some of us, myself included, have been *****ing about nonstop for 5 seasons now.

What did Jauron do to wow them? Show his friendship ring that Marv gave to him calling games in Chicago. Call me crazy, but when you go for a job interview you are suppossed to be hired based on qualifications, not who your buddies with.

Sherman has a plan, Jauron has his friendship with Levy, several losing seasons, and no resume of winning as either an assistant or HC.

They'd be crazy not hire Sherman, especially if he's willing to bring in Bates.

Instead of thinking towards 2007, we could have a shot at turning this team around in 2006 with this guy.

I dont understand how you can know that he presented a plan to fix the O problems, were you in the interview? If you were, i will believe it. Therefore you must have also been their for the Juron interview and you know that he has no clue, Eventhough he's one of the brightest individuals in the NFL. I am not saying hes a good coach, but i highly doubt he came in with no plan and no qualifications.

Also, if Sherman is so good why is the Bills the only team that wants his services? If he was so special why does he not have a job with 10 HC open this off-season. Is is b/c the other organizations dont have a clue? i highly doubt it. If he has such a great mind why is he not even being mentioned for OC jobs, and only interviewing for 2 other HC jobs, in which those teams didnt even think to hire him. So i guess i dont understand why Sherman is the only one qualified for this job but the 9 other teams feel he was not qualified enough for their teams.

Bill Brasky
01-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Actually, he was handed a great team, they went to the superbowl in 96' and won, in 97' they went and lost, in 98' they lost to SF on the TO catch in the playoffs. in 99' R. Rhodes took over and many fans believed the team was wore down after playing in the playoffs many years in a row, and believed that RR was not ready for a HC job. In 2001, They gave the job to Sherman and he didnt make the playoffs, he still had most of the player from the superbowls, the OL and favre. He has had, great players since then, and one of the best QB's ever and could not go deep into the playoffs. Also he played in the NFC north, enough said.

You can blame the losses on the lack of players but Jeff Fisher had a worse record with a better team and he didnt get canned.

I dont understand how you can know that he presented a plan to fix the O problems, were you in the interview? If you were, i will believe it. Therefore you must have also been their for the Juron interview and you know that he has no clue, Eventhough he's one of the brightest individuals in the NFL. I am not saying hes a good coach, but i highly doubt he came in with no plan and no qualifications.

Also, if Sherman is so good why is the Bills the only team that wants his services? If he was so special why does he not have a job with 10 HC open this off-season. Is is b/c the other organizations dont have a clue? i highly doubt it. If he has such a great mind why is he not even being mentioned for OC jobs, and only interviewing for 2 other HC jobs, in which those teams didnt even think to hire him. So i guess i dont understand why Sherman is the only one qualified for this job but the 9 other teams feel he was not qualified enough for their teams.

I don't usually post things this long but in this case I'll make an exception. First off, welcome to BZ.com. Your 101 posts over the past 2 years have truely solidified you as the authority on Bills football. I look forward to more of your infomative, factual based comments. Please, don't be a stranger from now on.

Not to my surprise, in this case you were horribly misguided.

First I would like to point out -- for a second time -- that Sherman was fired, for the most part, because the new Packers GM wanted to bring in his own HC. Apparently you missed that part the first time I posted it, hence the ingenious Jeff Fisher comment.

The Packers were on the decline for 4 seasons prior to Sherman taking over. They won the Super Bowl, lost the following season, choked against SF the next season in the playoffs, and went 8-8 following that. Anyway you put it, that is decline. Their playoff loss to SF should have been worse, but many forget TO dropped several passes during the course of the game that killed scoring drives. If Sherman "inherited" all the same players that preceeded him like you claim, he certainly took a team in a downward spiral and kept them competitive for several seasons, which is more than guys named Holmgren and Rhodes did before him.

Surprisingly, he did this within the same division that Dick Jauron coached in during the same time period. Within this "terrible" division, Sherman was able to win at least 10 games every season except this year, when the majority of his top players were out. Jauron. Well, he had one good season and **** the bed the rest of the time. Sherman's teams stayed the course or improved. Jauron's got progressively worse.

As far as me being in the interview with Ralph and Marv... yes I was there. In fact, I was making sure their IV's were full to capacity and their bedpans were refilled every 3 hours. I wasn't there for Jauron's interview, but I'm sure his remarkable resume highlighted his dominating coordinating stints in 1985 for the powerhouse Buffalo Bills, the Packers of the late 80's and early 90's, as well as guiding the Chicago Bears of the "terrible" NFC North to, well, nowhere.

You say Jauron is one of the smartest men in the NFL. What is this based on? Do you know him personally? Do you play cricket and talk philosophy during your days off from tending to the counter at your local Iowa Piggly Wiggly? Next time you guys hang out, call me. I'd like to talk politics with him and hear his views on terrorism, the economy, and how to coach a team into the basement of a "terrible" division. Yeah, Jauron has an Ivy League education, but so does George Bush. That doesn't really make him the right man for the job does it?

If you watch the news, read the papers, or subscribe to other Bills publications you might stumble accross things like this:

Mike Sherman – recently fired as head coach of the Packers where he boasted a 57-39 record including two 12-4 seasons. Some argue that he inherited a Super Bowl team, which is pure BS, because he actually inherited a 8-8 Packers team on the decline and turned them into a 12-4 team after two years. It’s been reported that he “knocked the socks off” of Marv and Ralph Wilson by laying out a plan to fix the Bills offense. It also helps that he wanted to draft JP Losman to be Brett Favre’s heir-apparent in Green Bay until we stole him away. Another plus is that he could bring Jim Bates, a HIGHLY regarded defensive coordinator, with him to run our defense.

Weird stuff. I'm sure your news gathering is subjected to the Buffalo News, the insightful minds of WGR, ESPN, and Ed "I write on a 3rd grade level" Kilgore. That is why it does not surprise me that you are enamoured with Jauron's Ivy Leage education and friendship with Marv as oppossed to Sherman's coaching credentials.

I might also point out the following playoff blunders many accredit to Sherman:

Packers lose to St. Louis. It wasn't Sherman who threw 6 INT's against the vaunted St. Louis Rams defense. That was their Hall of Fame QB.

Packers lose to Atlanta. It wasn't Sherman who missed 90209384 tackles against Mike Vick. He can put players in a position to make tackles, but as a coach you can't physically tackle the guy. That lies on the players. The running game didn't show up. If I remember, I believe they ran the ball around 20 times and didn't even top 70 yards so you can't say his "bad coaching" abandoned the running game. Favre had 2 INT's if I remember correctly.

Packers have Philly beat, blow game. It wasn't Sherman who blew coverage on 4th and 26 against future Hall of Famer Freddie "I want to thank my hands" Mitchell. There's only so many ways a coach can call a Cover 2 or Dime or Max Protect. Ultimately, it's the players who have to get the job done. Bhwah Jue was the guy who blew coverage. I'm sure every coach wishes they had a playmaker like him on their roster in crunch time. That is like asking Sherman to build a brick house with 59c lasagna noodles and some chicklets.

And as far as I know, Sherman never had his team quit on him. More than guys named Williams and Mularkey can say. At least he will give the team some direction.

Here's a situational riddle that might blow your mind, I hope you can follow since you're friends with an Ivy League head coach, but won't be surprised if you can't...

The proud ship that once manned 1 Bills Drive hit an iceberg about 6 seasons ago and has been sinking into the depths of football hell ever since. Our captains were terribly misguided, and now they've cleaned house.

When you have a sinking ship, do you bring in inexperienced deckhands with an "upside" to fix the mess, or do you bring in a captain with a proven track record of fighting off the Pirates of the Carribean to bring you out of impending doom? :rofl: Damn I'm creative.

When I outsource, I know that I bring in my friends and completely write off qualified applicants. That way, when our work suffers we can at least hang out and down our sorrows in some beers and have good old times. Then we try to figure out how to bring back our customer base that we just ****ed over while our competitors thrive. I clean house about every 2 years and repeat the process.

If Jauron is hired, at least he and Levy can combine the powers of their friendship rings and get access to some sort of elite Ivy League social club like the Skulls while us fans continue to wallow in a stinking cesspool of false hope.

The Bills have traveled down the road that the Jets, Lions, Packers, Saints, and Texans traveled down this offseason. Look what it got them. A first class ticket to the 10th level of hell and an alienated fan base. The Bills fans have been suffering for the better part of 4 decades now, who's gonna stop it? Dick Jauron? He caused more problems in Chicago than he fixed. You think the 35 year old coordinator who had 1 stinking year under Bill Belichick is going to bring the Jets out of misery? You think Sean Payton is going to bring the Aints out from their 30+ years of sucking? Kubiak is the answer to all of Houston's problems, I wish we went after him.

Do I think Sherman is the greatest coach ever, hell no. But he's 10X more qualified than Jauron, Kubiak, Mangini, and whoever else was unqualified to have a coaching job this season. The Bills need proven experience after half a decade of not having any.

You raved about "one of the greatest QB's" Brett Favre... well, if Sherman is so bad, then why was a HOFer like Brett Favre threatening retirement if he wasn't brought back? Sounds like the guy was doing something right.

ZacGriffi~82
01-21-2006, 02:35 AM
:roflmao::roflmao:

:10:

Ferrygoat
01-21-2006, 04:21 AM
Hey Freeman....Good name, obviously you have way too much free time on your hands. I suppose i should start posting a lot more so i can solidify my spot as an authority on BZ. I mean you did have some good points, like one being Sherman didnt lose them games in GB, the players did. You know what? I think your right, but ill tell you what, I dont think the other 10 coaches in the league lost the games for their teams either since they didnt suit up and play a down either. Maybe we should have kept donahoe and mularky's staff i mean donahoe didnt lose any games for the bills either, unless he suited up and i didnt see him out on the field. I understand, you believe Sherman is a god, but when/ if he comes to buffalo and fails then your going to be the first one to say we shoulda hired the other guy. Im not saying hes the man for the job because i know about as much as you at this point, pretty much nothing!!!

Bert102176
01-21-2006, 06:35 AM
I heard Marv wanted Jouron and Ralph wants Sherman, it was on foxsports and I want Haslett

Bert102176
01-21-2006, 06:40 AM
one note though didn't Grady Jackson have a problem with Sherman this year, I heard a few people on here saying if we get Sherman as our HC he may get Grady here but if I remember right at the beginning and through the season they were having a fued

Historian
01-21-2006, 07:34 AM

This is where you lost me.

To think that Jauron went into the interview unprepared, with nothing more than Levy's friendship, is a real stretch, IMO.

Bill Brasky
01-21-2006, 08:33 PM
This is where you lost me.

To think that Jauron went into the interview unprepared, with nothing more than Levy's friendship, is a real stretch, IMO.

I never said that, but there has been nothing reported to support him having as good of an interview as Sherman did.

Come on guys, seriously, if this guy had no ties to Levy, would you really WANT him as the coach of the Bills? What has he done to warrant having another shot? He hasn't coordinated any stellar units lately. He did practically nothing as a head coach in 4 years. WHAT HAS HE DONE TO DESERVE A JOB HERE?! What has he accomplished that makes him qualified to coach a team with a laundry list of problems?

Somebody, please, give me one good reason.

Bill Brasky
01-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey Freeman....Good name, obviously you have way too much free time on your hands. I suppose i should start posting a lot more so i can solidify my spot as an authority on BZ. I mean you did have some good points, like one being Sherman didnt lose them games in GB, the players did. You know what? I think your right, but ill tell you what, I dont think the other 10 coaches in the league lost the games for their teams either since they didnt suit up and play a down either. Maybe we should have kept donahoe and mularky's staff i mean donahoe didnt lose any games for the bills either, unless he suited up and i didnt see him out on the field. I understand, you believe Sherman is a god, but when/ if he comes to buffalo and fails then your going to be the first one to say we shoulda hired the other guy. Im not saying hes the man for the job because i know about as much as you at this point, pretty much nothing!!!

Great points, except not.

Sherman coached for five years, and with the exception of one injury-plauged season he had a winning record every season. His players underperformed in the playoffs, but at least he was doing something to help get them there every year.

What did Capers do while in Houston. Nothing.
What did Mooch do in Detroit. Nothing.
What did Donahoe do here in five years? Destroyed the organization with his tyranical my-way-or-the-highway bs.
What did Mularkey do? He only coached this team out of at least 4 wins this season with his ******ed play calling.

Sherman doesn't have any of those credentials. He has a winning track record, something none of those guys had. Did you miss that part? He puts guys in a position to be successful, whether or not the players compete is up to him. Do you understand that or should I explain it for the 900th time again?

You're telling me that by going to shotgun on 1st and goal from the 3 yard line with a 21 point lead that Mularkey was setting up Losman for success. No coach in their right mind would call that type of play.

Nighthawk
01-21-2006, 09:30 PM
I never said that, but there has been nothing reported to support him having as good of an interview as Sherman did.

Come on guys, seriously, if this guy had no ties to Levy, would you really WANT him as the coach of the Bills? What has he done to warrant having another shot? He hasn't coordinated any stellar units lately. He did practically nothing as a head coach in 4 years. WHAT HAS HE DONE TO DESERVE A JOB HERE?! What has he accomplished that makes him qualified to coach a team with a laundry list of problems?

:goodpost:

I've been saying this all along. The problem is that a lot of Bills fans are basically puppets...they do and believe everything that comes out of Marv's mouth. If he says Jauron's good, well, man, he has to be good then. It's a joke and most of these people sound ignorant trying to have a rational, football conversatioin. I agree with you 100%.

Michael82
01-21-2006, 09:32 PM

Don't forget...the good interview is what gave us Gregg Williams. Supposedly he wowed Donahoe's socks off. :ill:

FirstDownBills
01-21-2006, 09:51 PM
So are you now comparing Donahoe to Levy?

Bill Brasky
01-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Don't forget...the good interview is what gave us Gregg Williams. Supposedly he wowed Donahoe's socks off. :ill:

Yeah, but...

1) It was Donahoe he was wowing.

2) He had no prior HC experience.

Michael82
01-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, but...

1) It was Donahoe he was wowing.

2) He had no prior HC experience.
I was just saying. I'm actually excited about Sherman. Especially after hearing about what he said in his interview about fixing the offense and he told them how he would do it, plus he was excited about coaching Losman and sees him as the next Roethlisberger. :clap:

At least our coach will care about our young QB, instead of bench him and screw with his head. :up:

Ferrygoat
01-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Great points, except not.

Sherman coached for five years, and with the exception of one injury-plauged season he had a winning record every season. His players underperformed in the playoffs, but at least he was doing something to help get them there every year.

What did Capers do while in Houston. Nothing.
What did Mooch do in Detroit. Nothing.
What did Donahoe do here in five years? Destroyed the organization with his tyranical my-way-or-the-highway bs.
What did Mularkey do? He only coached this team out of at least 4 wins this season with his ******ed play calling.

Sherman doesn't have any of those credentials. He has a winning track record, something none of those guys had. Did you miss that part? He puts guys in a position to be successful, whether or not the players compete is up to him. Do you understand that or should I explain it for the 900th time again?

You're telling me that by going to shotgun on 1st and goal from the 3 yard line with a 21 point lead that Mularkey was setting up Losman for success. No coach in their right mind would call that type of play.

I never said once that Sherman wasn't the man for the job, but i also dont think the guy is a god like everyone else. The coaches record has nothing to do with how good a coach can be, have you ever thought about the talent of the team. Perfect example, look at bill belichick i believe when he was with cleveland his record was 36 - 44, according to you this is definitely not HC material, now hes got 3 superbowl rings. I understand that you are in love with Sherman but you cant say that these other guys cant coach, like i said before you can read all you want, but that doesnt mean you know what you are talking about

Mr. Cynical
01-22-2006, 04:36 PM
I was just saying. I'm actually excited about Sherman. Especially after hearing about what he said in his interview about fixing the offense and he told them how he would do it, plus he was excited about coaching Losman and sees him as the next Roethlisberger. :clap:

At least our coach will care about our young QB, instead of bench him and screw with his head. :up::clap:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't usually post things this long but in this case I'll make an exception. First off, welcome to BZ.com. Your 101 posts over the past 2 years have truely solidified you as the authority on Bills football. I look forward to more of your infomative, factual based comments. Please, don't be a stranger from now on.

First I would like to point out -- for a second time -- that Sherman was fired, for the most part, because the new Packers GM wanted to bring in his own HC. Apparently you missed that part the first time I posted it, hence the ingenious Jeff Fisher comment.

The Packers were on the decline for 4 seasons prior to Sherman taking over. They won the Super Bowl, lost the following season, choked against SF the next season in the playoffs, and went 8-8 following that. Anyway you put it, that is decline. Their playoff loss to SF should have been worse, but many forget TO dropped several passes during the course of the game that killed scoring drives. If Sherman "inherited" all the same players that preceeded him like you claim, he certainly took a team in a downward spiral and kept them competitive for several seasons, which is more than guys named Holmgren and Rhodes did before him.

Surprisingly, he did this within the same division that Dick Jauron coached in during the same time period. Within this "terrible" division, Sherman was able to win at least 10 games every season except this year, when the majority of his top players were out. Jauron. Well, he had one good season and **** the bed the rest of the time. Sherman's teams stayed the course or improved. Jauron's got progressively worse.

As far as me being in the interview with Ralph and Marv... yes I was there. In fact, I was making sure their IV's were full to capacity and their bedpans were refilled every 3 hours. I wasn't there for Jauron's interview, but I'm sure his remarkable resume highlighted his dominating coordinating stints in 1985 for the powerhouse Buffalo Bills, the Packers of the late 80's and early 90's, as well as guiding the Chicago Bears of the "terrible" NFC North to, well, nowhere.

You say Jauron is one of the smartest men in the NFL. What is this based on? Do you know him personally? Do you play cricket and talk philosophy during your days off from tending to the counter at your local Iowa Piggly Wiggly? Next time you guys hang out, call me. I'd like to talk politics with him and hear his views on terrorism, the economy, and how to coach a team into the basement of a "terrible" division. Yeah, Jauron has an Ivy League education, but so does George Bush. That doesn't really make him the right man for the job does it?

If you watch the news, read the papers, or subscribe to other Bills publications you might stumble accross things like this:

Mike Sherman – recently fired as head coach of the Packers where he boasted a 57-39 record including two 12-4 seasons. Some argue that he inherited a Super Bowl team, which is pure BS, because he actually inherited a 8-8 Packers team on the decline and turned them into a 12-4 team after two years. It’s been reported that he “knocked the socks off” of Marv and Ralph Wilson by laying out a plan to fix the Bills offense. It also helps that he wanted to draft JP Losman to be Brett Favre’s heir-apparent in Green Bay until we stole him away. Another plus is that he could bring Jim Bates, a HIGHLY regarded defensive coordinator, with him to run our defense.

Weird stuff. I'm sure your news gathering is subjected to the Buffalo News, the insightful minds of WGR, ESPN, and Ed "I write on a 3rd grade level" Kilgore. That is why it does not surprise me that you are enamoured with Jauron's Ivy Leage education and friendship with Marv as oppossed to Sherman's coaching credentials.

Packers lose to St. Louis. It wasn't Sherman who threw 6 INT's against the vaunted St. Louis Rams defense. That was their Hall of Fame QB.

Packers lose to Atlanta. It wasn't Sherman who missed 90209384 tackles against Mike Vick. He can put players in a position to make tackles, but as a coach you can't physically tackle the guy. That lies on the players. The running game didn't show up. If I remember, I believe they ran the ball around 20 times and didn't even top 70 yards so you can't say his "bad coaching" abandoned the running game. Favre had 2 INT's if I remember correctly.

Packers have Philly beat, blow game. It wasn't Sherman who blew coverage on 4th and 26 against future Hall of Famer Freddie "I want to thank my hands" Mitchell. There's only so many ways a coach can call a Cover 2 or Dime or Max Protect. Ultimately, it's the players who have to get the job done. Bhwah Jue was the guy who blew coverage. I'm sure every coach wishes they had a playmaker like him on their roster in crunch time. That is like asking Sherman to build a brick house with 59c lasagna noodles and some chicklets.

And as far as I know, Sherman never had his team quit on him. More than guys named Williams and Mularkey can say. At least he will give the team some direction.

Here's a situational riddle that might blow your mind, I hope you can follow since you're friends with an Ivy League head coach, but won't be surprised if you can't...

The proud ship that once manned 1 Bills Drive hit an iceberg about 6 seasons ago and has been sinking into the depths of football hell ever since. Our captains were terribly misguided, and now they've cleaned house.

When you have a sinking ship, do you bring in inexperienced deckhands with an "upside" to fix the mess, or do you bring in a captain with a proven track record of fighting off the Pirates of the Carribean to bring you out of impending doom? :rofl: Damn I'm creative.

When I outsource, I know that I bring in my friends and completely write off qualified applicants. That way, when our work suffers we can at least hang out and down our sorrows in some beers and have good old times. Then we try to figure out how to bring back our customer base that we just ****ed over while our competitors thrive. I clean house about every 2 years and repeat the process.

If Jauron is hired, at least he and Levy can combine the powers of their friendship rings and get access to some sort of elite Ivy League social club like the Skulls while us fans continue to wallow in a stinking cesspool of false hope.

The Bills have traveled down the road that the Jets, Lions, Packers, Saints, and Texans traveled down this offseason. Look what it got them. A first class ticket to the 10th level of hell and an alienated fan base. The Bills fans have been suffering for the better part of 4 decades now, who's gonna stop it? Dick Jauron? He caused more problems in Chicago than he fixed. You think the 35 year old coordinator who had 1 stinking year under Bill Belichick is going to bring the Jets out of misery? You think Sean Payton is going to bring the Aints out from their 30+ years of sucking? Kubiak is the answer to all of Houston's problems, I wish we went after him.

Do I think Sherman is the greatest coach ever, hell no. But he's 10X more qualified than Jauron, Kubiak, Mangini, and whoever else was unqualified to have a coaching job this season. The Bills need proven experience after half a decade of not having any.

You raved about "one of the greatest QB's" Brett Favre... well, if Sherman is so bad, then why was a HOFer like Brett Favre threatening retirement if he wasn't brought back? Sounds like the guy was doing something right.

Ed "I write on a 3rd grade level" Kilgore
:wtf: I want you to know that Ed Kilgore is a great sports reporter, director and writer for Ch 2 and he's also in the Sports Buffalo HOF. Who do you listen to :question: that idiot Dennis Williams, or Paul Pecker, on WIVB or :homer: John Murphy WKBW and voice of the BILLS.

hydro014
01-22-2006, 10:05 PM

Wow, you spent a lot of time on stuff that i have never said or even thought about. I guess thats why my 101 posts are not goog enough to boost my "authority" on BZ.com. First off i have a life, and over the past two years i have been busy. Second, you dont know me, or what i know, but at least i dont post like i am Ralphs right hand man. These message boards are made up of people who like to express their "opinions," this includes you. You dont know any more or less about what has went on over the last 2 weeks at one bills drive behind closed doors, so dont act like you do, I dont. The factual thing you were talking about, well you better get a dictionary and look up the word. Your posts have just as much opinion as mine do, and yes you did have a few facts in your post, but you'll figure that out after you look at the dictionary.

I personally dont like Juron as a HC ,but some how you think i do, most likely your "authority." I only stated that he's a bright guy, which means i dont think he went into the interview with no clue whats going on or no qualifications for the HC job, b/c you said " Call me crazy, but when you go for a job interview you are suppossed to be hired based on qualifications, not who your buddies with. Which again you seemed to get the fact thing wrong.

I also want to clear something up, i think Sherman is a good coach, if he was named the bills new coach i would support him. I just dont understand why people make him out to be great, or even the best available, b/c if he was he would have a job. Again, through all this you still have not answerd my question. Why is Sherman not a COACH some where, HC, OC, OL anything? Explain to me how the BEST available coach, with 10 HC openings, is not coaching anywhere next year? So does this mean that your "authority" on BZ.com dosent mean a thing, does it mean that maybe you bills digest and other sources may not really tell you how good NFL personal is, or was? I guess if 1/3 of the NFL teams thought like you Sherman would have a job. But, since none of them do, i would question your "authority."

Just some thoughts.:bullseye:

Bill Brasky
01-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow, you spent a lot of time on stuff that i have never said or even thought about. I guess thats why my 101 posts are not goog enough to boost my "authority" on BZ.com. First off i have a life, and over the past two years i have been busy. Second, you dont know me, or what i know, but at least i dont post like i am Ralphs right hand man. These message boards are made up of people who like to express their "opinions," this includes you. You dont know any more or less about what has went on over the last 2 weeks at one bills drive behind closed doors, so dont act like you do, I dont. The factual thing you were talking about, well you better get a dictionary and look up the word. Your posts have just as much opinion as mine do, and yes you did have a few facts in your post, but you'll figure that out after you look at the dictionary.

I personally dont like Juron as a HC ,but some how you think i do, most likely your "authority." I only stated that he's a bright guy, which means i dont think he went into the interview with no clue whats going on or no qualifications for the HC job, b/c you said " Call me crazy, but when you go for a job interview you are suppossed to be hired based on qualifications, not who your buddies with. Which again you seemed to get the fact thing wrong.

I also want to clear something up, i think Sherman is a good coach, if he was named the bills new coach i would support him. I just dont understand why people make him out to be great, or even the best available, b/c if he was he would have a job. Again, through all this you still have not answerd my question. Why is Sherman not a COACH some where, HC, OC, OL anything? Explain to me how the BEST available coach, with 10 HC openings, is not coaching anywhere next year? So does this mean that your "authority" on BZ.com dosent mean a thing, does it mean that maybe you bills digest and other sources may not really tell you how good NFL personal is, or was? I guess if 1/3 of the NFL teams thought like you Sherman would have a job. But, since none of them do, i would question your "authority."

Just some thoughts.:bullseye:

You completely took my post the wrong way. :pet: Sarcasm is a gift. I'll lay it out in a nutshell - I never said Sherman was a god, but I believe him to be a more worthy candidate than Jauron. That's it.

However, none of it matters now. We're stuck with Richard Jauron. He will take us to the promised land, aka the AFCE basement!

Oh, and just to clarify. I do have a life as I'm sure 90% of posters around here can attest to. I posted that at work and wrote it in 10 minutes (some of us can type fast around here)

hydro014
01-22-2006, 10:41 PM
never claimed you not to have a life, just said i do.

Dont drink the water
01-24-2006, 04:52 PM

A number of teams are buying into young, rising coordinators.

Evidently there is also a lot of bad rep :badrep: given on him by Packers organization or he is not too serious about finding a job since he has the golden parachute from the Packers. Maybe he asked to have more input in selecting like he did in Green Bay before it was taken away?

If he wants that kind of position he might need to wait for the right opening.