PDA

View Full Version : Why is MM allowed to sign with Miami?

MikeInRoch
01-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Under normal circumstances, NFL coaches cannot resign from one position and move to a parallel (or lower) position. The only exception is to move up. Shouldn't Buffalo be getting some compensation? It's not as if he was fired...

Stewie
01-22-2006, 04:40 PM
he resigned, resignation was accepted.

IAG
01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Because your dipstick owner let him go to save a buck...The Bills stink

Devin
01-22-2006, 05:14 PM
no need to act like an ass. If you want to talk smack take it to the correct forum.

MikeInRoch
01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
So you are saying that Herm Edwards could have resigned from the Jets and gone to KC - with no need to compensate them? Doesn't sound right to me...

The_Philster
01-22-2006, 05:21 PM
So you are saying that Herm Edwards could have resigned from the Jets and gone to KC - with no need to compensate them? Doesn't sound right to me...
only if the Jets were to accept the resignation

G. Host
01-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Under normal circumstances, NFL coaches cannot resign from one position and move to a parallel (or lower) position. The only exception is to move up. Shouldn't Buffalo be getting some compensation? It's not as if he was fired...

Because he left with a settlement. There were quite a few posts saying he took a settlement (some said as much as $1.5 million) but he took nothing and Bills allowed him to resign so he is free to sign elsewhere.

Dozerdog
01-22-2006, 06:48 PM
You cannot move if you are under contract.

If you quit, and are under contract, you can't move.

If you quit, and the contract is terminated (As with Mularkey) then you are free to go.

vinivedivichi
01-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Does that mean that if you resign and the team does not "accept" your resignation they still have to pay you unless they terminate your contract?

G. Host
01-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Good question. It probably would go to commissioner.

Dozerdog
01-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Does that mean that if you resign and the team does not "accept" your resignation they still have to pay you unless they terminate your contract?

If that were the case, you would not get paid (because you have not fufilled the contract) , but you would not be free to sign with anybody.

Dozerdog
01-22-2006, 07:13 PM
What's the big friggin deal anyway?

Everyone wanted Mularkey run out of town 2 weeks ago- now ya don't want him in Miami?

Geesh- I would think you would want to drive him to Dade county yourself.

MDFINFAN
01-22-2006, 07:20 PM
In this situation, since the Bills accepted MM's resignation, he's allowed to do what he wants without any comp for buf. But my question here is, who was your OC last year? I know MM was head coach, but did he call your plays as well, I didn't think so, but wasn't sure.

Dozerdog
01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
In this situation, since the Bills accepted MM's resignation, he's allowed to do what he wants without any comp for buf. But my question here is, who was your OC last year? I know MM was head coach, but did he call your plays as well, I didn't think so, but wasn't sure.

Mularkey took the playcalling away from Tom Clements in mid-season.

Expect Miami to run a boatload of trick plays at all the wrong times....

MDFINFAN
01-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Mularkey took the playcalling away from Tom Clements in mid-season.

Expect Miami to run a boatload of trick plays at all the wrong times....

Damit, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, I got tire of Linehan's trick plays. So MM was calling the plays when we beat you guys huh? Hopefully, whatever new players we get on the OL, will convince him to use our RB's more and forget the gimmick plays..

G. Host
01-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Steelers STILL use the trick plays Mularchy designed. If you have a good team with right personel who can execute well it works otherwise they often fail.

DynaPaul
01-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Who cares? Now the Fins are stuck with his idiocy... SUCKERS!

kgun12
01-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Damit, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, I got tire of Linehan's trick plays. So MM was calling the plays when we beat you guys huh? Hopefully, whatever new players we get on the OL, will convince him to use our RB's more and forget the gimmick plays..

Sorry but if you look at McGahee's rush attempts from last year to this year especially early (1st game 5 red zones 6 or so rushes and 5 fieldgoal attempts) and late in the season you will see that your RB's won't see the ball as much as they should. Hell it is better to throw the ball on 1st and goal from the 3 than to run it. Good luck and thank God!

MountainManNYC
01-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Who cares? Now the Fins are stuck with his idiocy... SUCKERS!

Funny, that's what all the Jets fans said when Bill Belichick left to go coach the the Patriots... so we'd better just wait and see...

For the argument about calling trick plays at the worst times.. there is a difference.. at the time.. MM had no one to answer to after the game for those calls, now, he's got Saban and I have a feeling Saban will NOT let him do the same thing... The Dolphins are up and coming and if they get Capers.. oh my.. while we hire people like Jauron and go where? where exactly are we going? :(

Samphin1
01-22-2006, 11:47 PM
If that were the case, you would not get paid (because you have not fufilled the contract) , but you would not be free to sign with anybody.

Correct. Case in point, Ricky Williams. Same rule applies. Had Mularkey quit and the Bills decided they did not want to let him go, they could essentially force him to sit out the remainder of his contract before moving on. However, it was obvious that both parties wanted to part ways, thus, they forfeit any type of compensation.

Had Miami released Ricky after he retired, he would have been free to go to any team. Think of it in the same terms...not you Dozer but the others who were asking :)

ublinkwescore
01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
this could be yet another dumb@$$ move by our new front office...

CuseJetsFan83
01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
its like bellicheck and the jets back in the 90's.......... he "resigned" but had to give compensatory picks to the jets from the patriots.

with the rams, vermeil quit but was still within the time period too......... it all depends on if a team wants to pursue it i guess.......... plus the fact he is a coordinator and not HC, might make it a moot point

vicmantak
01-22-2006, 11:54 PM
To be frank, we're lucky to know that this clown will command our arch-rival...
I feel the same way Patriots fans felt when Bledsoe came here...

DynaPaul
01-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Funny, that's what all the Jets fans said when Bill Belichick left to go coach the the Patriots... so we'd better just wait and see...

Funny, but I don't remember any Jets fans saying that after he left. I do remember them all being pissed off that he was only the coach for like 48 hours though. And Mularkey is going there as OC and not head coach. This is just not the same situation.

Bert102176
01-23-2006, 06:44 PM
same goes for Barry Sanders he didn't wanna play for the Lions anymore so he retired and can't blame him he was that team and they would never release him so he never played for another team just stayed retired.

Throne Logic
01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
The gimmic plays, themselves, were generally not the problem. The timing of their usage was the problem.

IAG
01-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Coach Mike will smoke you guys 2 times next year....Have fun on your message boards!

Samphin1
01-24-2006, 01:52 AM
To be frank, we're lucky to know that this clown will command our arch-rival...
I feel the same way Patriots fans felt when Bledsoe came here...

Well, with one big exception. Mularkey won't be "commanding" the Dolphins next year, or any year. Remember Nick Saban is the head coach and he has final say on defense AND offense. If you don't believe me, go ask Scott Linehan. Go ask him what happened when he tried one too many gimmick plays and deviated from our strengths.

Mularkey is here to help the offense continue to grow with Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. He will be exposed to weapons he didn't have in Buffalo and it will be his job to take advantage of that. Based on what he did in previous stops, I am confident he will.

Historian
01-24-2006, 05:22 AM
That quitter was so worried about his kids getting heckled at school here...I sure hope they speak spanish....

ddaryl
01-24-2006, 06:01 AM

Ya know what's even more maddening. When you have a stud RB and its 3rd down with less then a yard and were calling pass plays.

Or how about a shotgun when its 1st and goal from inside the 5.

Yep, MM is an offensive genius, which I mean his thought process/play calling will be offensive to you.

Brad528
01-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Cause he tricked your old a@# owner and Old a@# Marv Levy. Just playing but did you hear his comments in that press conference about it being Tuesday we must be in Singapore. Then he said its Monday we must be at a Bills News Conference and then had to ask for assurance that it was really Monday. He seemed to be out of his freaking mind.