PDA

View Full Version : I Haven't Felt This Way Since....

LifetimeBillsFan
01-23-2006, 03:19 AM
I haven't this way about the guy who was about to be named the new Bills HC since I heard that they were hiring some loser who had coached the Chiefs into the ground named Marv Levy....

But, then again, the time before that when I felt this way about a guy that the Bills had hired to be their head coach was when they hired Kay Stephenson.... :ugh:

I was really hoping that the Bills would hire Mike Sherman, but, for whatever reason, they have decided to go with Dick Jauron. As a Bills fan, I have to hope that he will turn out to be another Marv Levy and not another Kay Stephenson or Hank Bullough or Harvey Johnson. After 46 years of being a Bills fan, I don't want to have to go through another losing season, but, after 46 years as a Bills fan, if I do have to live through another losing season by the Bills under Dick Jauron, that's not going to change my alligiance to the team.

I'm going to want to see who Levy and Jauron hire as the Bills assistant coaches and what personnel moves they make this off-season before I start to make any judgements about the direction that the team is going in. And, I'm going to want to see how the team responds to Jauron and his coaching staff and plays in some games before I come to any conclusions about whether this is a good or bad hire for the Bills.

I'm very disappointed that the Bills didn't hire Sherman at this point because I liked what I saw of the teams that he coached in Green Bay and thought that he could do a good job with the young players that the Bills have. But the men who are running the team did not decide to go in that direction. I liked Dick Jauron as a player, but I haven't been very impressed by his coaching resume and have my doubts about his ability to be a winning coach. Still, I am prepared to give him a chance to show me that he can be a better head coach for the Bills than he has shown thus far with other teams because I know that there is much more that goes into a head football coach's success or failure than meets the eye: a guy who could be a great HC can fail if he is at odds with the front office on the direction that the team should take or if his assistants don't get the job done or if his players don't buy into the team's philosophy or respond to the coaching or if the team suffers a lot of injuries or is unlucky, etc. and, conversely, a guy who may not be anything more than a mediocre HC can look great for a couple of years if he gets hired or promoted into the right situation.

So, as disappointed as I am at this moment, I am prepared to wait and see what kind of a HC Dick Jauron will be for the Bills and what direction he and Marv Levy are going to try to take the team in over the next couple of seasons. Realistically, I do not expect them to be able to turn the Bills into a winning team overnight: there are too many things wrong with this team to expect any GM and HC combination to correct them in one off-season. But, I do expect to see progress. And, I do not think that it will take long to get a measure of whether Dick Jauron will be a more competent HC than his immediate predecessors, regardless of the number of wins or losses. At the latest, I think we will have a pretty good idea whether Jauron can be a good HC and the team is headed in the right direction by the end of next season. And, I think it's only fair to give him until at least the middle of this coming season before I begin to make any serious judgements about him and his coaching staff.

Until then, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that this feeling that I have in the pit of my stomach heralds the same kind of era for the Bills that it did the last time that I felt it....

Bill Brasky
01-23-2006, 03:29 AM
Well, Levy was successful as a coordinator almost everywhere he went. And when he coached the Chiefs, his teams seemed to improve every season with the exception of one I think.

With Jauron, he hasn't really had success anywhere. That's why I'm not exactly thrilled.

Meathead
01-23-2006, 03:51 AM
I As a Bills fan, I have to hope that he will turn out to be another Marv Levy and not another Kay Stephenson or Hank Bullough or Harvey Johnson.
if you asked those guys what Yale was theyd say "aint that what the fans do?"