PDA

View Full Version : Jauron gets the job, Marv chooses the coordinators?

JJamezz
01-23-2006, 09:30 AM
First off, looking at how this panned out, I don't believe Sherman was ever as serious a candidate as he was made out to be. Seems like the original reports that Jauron was the guy, were right.

I think Marv is trying to construct a staff that is as similar as possible to what he had as HC. It's no secret Marv had (and hopefully that IS past tense) some desire to coach again, and once Ralph made it clear that would not happen, Marv chose the man he felt was most like himself, to fill the same role he had filled as HC. A delegator, overseer, organizer, without having his hands in the offensive and defensive 'pot' so to speak.

What will bear this all out is if Capers and Caldwell are hired as the coordinators. Capers is a great DC, no doubt about it - Caldwell, who knows, but he's been an integral part of the top 2 offenses in the league over the last 4 years. But the point is, if they're hired, these choices were made by Marv, with little, if any input from Jauron. I don't know if this is unprecedented or not - but I know that there aren't a lot of HC's who would come in and have their coordinators chosen FOR them.

Whether that's good or bad, you can argue it either way. The good, Jauron is a team player, willing to compromise, apprently doesn't have much of an ego (Marv qualities)... The bad, he's weak, a puppet, desperate for any HC gig he can get...

One thing is for sure, SHerman would have had NOTHING to do with a situation like this.. And while he may have 'knocked' Ralph and Marv's socks (or support hose? :snicker:) off, he would have required choosing his own staff, as most coaches would, as well as having a considerable hand in personnel decisions, given his history as GM in Green Bay. This is the reason I don't think he was ever a serious candidate. And as another poster mentioned, bringing Capers is to interview was another big clue, as it was widely known that Sherman would bring his former Packers DC, Jim Bates, with him wherever he ended up.

Again, if this pans out, it seems Marv is trying to recreate the type of coaching staff that he led during his tenure here.. Strong coordinators with a more hands-off HC (a role not many HC candidates would be willing to fill IMO). Part of this is trying to console myself after what seems like an awful decision hiring Jauron. But I'm willing to trust Marv and see how the rest of the staff fills out. I have no doubt Marv has a plan, and hasn't just 'lost it'.. he's too intelligent for that. I also don't subscribe to the good 'ol boy theory - I think we're all a little gunshy about that type of thing after Donohoe, but I just don't see Marv making his decisions like that. THe other argument is Marv is some tyrant, control freak, who hired a puppet coach so that he can vicariously 'coach' through him.. but his history just does not substantiate this - again, I think its just any Bills fans' lingering symptom of post-donohoe syndrome...

Make us proud Marv......

ArcticWildMan
01-23-2006, 09:55 AM
I sure hope you are right, because if you are wrong we will be the Los Angeles Bills for sure when Ralph dies thanks to the apathy the fans will have.

Saratoga Slim
01-23-2006, 10:03 AM
good post. I'll be much more behind the Jauron pick if you're right and they line up some heavyweight coordinators.

Michael82
01-23-2006, 10:09 AM
I hope to God that you are right. I will be behind this move if we have a solid, deep coaching staff, with some very good coordinators. Not bums or first timers. Although Caldwell or Lofton are intriguing. I do love the idea of Capers coming as DC or maybe even Haslett. :up:

Tatonka
01-23-2006, 10:11 AM
there are no heavyweight OC's left..

saunders and turner were the only ones that really warrant strong consideration.. we were busy interviewing dickie J and 5 other candidates that didnt stand a chance.

i do pray to god that marv isnt hiring the coordinators for his head coach.. that makes dick look like a pussy.

DBrown77
01-23-2006, 10:16 AM
So what will Sherman do now? Doesn't look like Oakland is interested in him. Sherman "knocked their socks off" with a plan for the offense.
I know this is far fetched but what if sherman came in as OC and Capers as DC? supposedly DJ is a puppet.

News conference at 2:30 - wouldnt that make my day

madness
01-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Caldwell for OC!

Bmax
01-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Heimindger wants out of ny ..My guess is that marv goes back in the past to pick a coordinator....Could be a guy who was a coord but now he is a positon coach

Bmax

Mr. Miyagi
01-23-2006, 10:25 AM
I sure hope you are right, because if you are wrong we will be the Los Angeles Bills for sure when Ralph dies thanks to the apathy the fans will have.
Los Angeles Bills makes no sense. The Bills name will die as soon as we're out of Buffalo. :ill:

JJ put up a very logical, reasonable and believable argument. I hope he's right. No, Dick was not my first, second, third, fourth, or fifth choice. But he did make my list at 6th, and I hadn't even reasoned it out like JJ did. I'm sure after my initial disappointment subsides a bit and if they field a good staff and draft good players, I'll be more willing to support Dick.

But until then, I'm very skeptical. :(

FlyingDutchman
01-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I hope to God that you are right. I will be behind this move if we have a solid, deep coaching staff, with some very good coordinators. Not bums or first timers. Although Caldwell or Lofton are intriguing. I do love the idea of Capers coming as DC or maybe even Haslett. :up:

I have no source for this, but I heard the reason why Haslett didnt even get an interview is bc he opened his mouth about JP or somethin. Being down in New Orleans he watched JP a lot and wasnt impressed and said some not so cool things about him. I guess the Bills front office got wind of this and that was reason for not even bringin him in. Like i said, I have sources and this is definately not a fact, i heard it on talk radio. It would kinda make some sense considering they didnt even give the guy a shot after at one time he was considered somewhat as the main guy for the job. Who knows though...

ublinkwescore
01-23-2006, 11:27 AM

That would be bittersweet for me...

Michael82
01-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I have no source for this, but I heard the reason why Haslett didnt even get an interview is bc he opened his mouth about JP or somethin. Being down in New Orleans he watched JP a lot and wasnt impressed and said some not so cool things about him. I guess the Bills front office got wind of this and that was reason for not even bringin him in. Like i said, I have sources and this is definately not a fact, i heard it on talk radio. It would kinda make some sense considering they didnt even give the guy a shot after at one time he was considered somewhat as the main guy for the job. Who knows though...
Hmmm, interesting. That makes me feel better about JP Losman getting the starting nod this year instead of that piece of **** backup QB.