PDA

View Full Version : Maybe afterall...

Devin
01-23-2006, 01:09 PM
The wild card really is the offense. If we are able to bring in a strong OC I am actually fairly optimistic. Our OL needs work, and we all know that. While i think the entire middle of the line needs replacement its probably a safe assumption at least one of our OG's will be back....probably Anderson. Everett should be full speed this summer and could emrge as the pass catching threat at TE we've missed for years. The QB situation will be a little stickier.

OT: Mike Gandy
OG: FA/Rookie
C: Duke Preston/FA
OG: FA/Rookie
OT: Jason Peters
TE: Kevin Everett
WR: Lee Evans - Parrish - Reed
WR: Moulds???
RB: Willis McGahee
FB: Damien Shelton
QB: Losman/Holomb

Takeo spikes will be making his return to the field this season. And assuming Adams is still here and we ressign Edwards, if we draft or sign a servicable/starting DT our Defensive front 7 is probably one of the better in the AFC leaving only LE in doubt. Clements is still a question mark. BUT that being said DJ is not a bad defensive coach, and if he brings in a solid DC I have to say in that regard im not really to worried.

Our Defense should Look like:

DT: Sam Adams
DT: Rooki/FA - Ron Edwards
DE: Aaron Schobell
DE: Chris Kelsey/Rookie/FA
OLB: Takeo Spikes
OLB: Angello Crowell
ILB: London Fletcher
CB: Terrence McGee
CB: Rookie/FA
SS: Lawyer Milloy
FS: Troy Vincent

April is staying, and McGee and Parrish make a sick combination returning kicks/punts. For the 3rd straight year we should have one of the best ST units in football.

All I am saying is if our ST and Defense return to form, and we address our OL things might not be to bad after all. DJ imo was a bad pick, but whats done is done.

OpIv37
01-23-2006, 01:23 PM
First, it's Jason Peters, not Justin. Shelton's good enough (I guess) and we need a good backup for McGahee. Williams is too small. I hope Moulds is gone because his numbers don't justify his salary.

Second, I disagree on our front 7. While Crowell is good enough to start, I don't think he can replace Posey because a strong side linebacker should be a stronger guy who can go from a 3 point stance if necessary (not that Posey ever did that, but he might if we had a decent DC). London Fletcher is a ball-hawk but he's old and always gets his tackles after significant gains by the opposing offense Ron Edwards has not impressed me at all and I SERIOUSLY hope he's not our starting tackle. Hell, I think I'd start Anderson over Edwards, but hopefully we'll find someone in the draft/FA to solve this problem We failed to do it last year and I hope the new FO doesn't make the same mistake that the old one did.

Third, I'm worried about Milloy and Vincent. They always put on huge hits but get there a step too late to play the ball. Maybe Jabari Greer can step up but this is another position where young blood is necessary.

Fourth, Parrish makes me nervous as hell on punt returns. He needs to play smarter. Plus, at his size, I doubt he'll survive a whole season returning punts. But generally I agree that our ST should be good.

Meathead
01-23-2006, 01:23 PM
the one thing that really turned me off about this past season is that mularkey seemed to completely lose the team the last half of the season

if the reports out of chicago are true and dj got the talent strapped bears to play hard every week then that alone will be a huge improvement

there certainly is enough talent on the bills to make a run at the playoffs right now so theres really no reason not to be at least mildy confident the team will be much more competitive next season

im disappointed gewawo didnt come through but frankly i trust marv and will be giving him and dj the benefit of the doubt that they made the right choice

OpIv37
01-23-2006, 01:25 PM
there certainly is enough talent on the bills to make a run at the playoffs right now

did you watch the same 16 games I did this year? I didn't see much in the way of talent.

Mr. Miyagi
01-23-2006, 01:29 PM
did you watch the same 16 games I did this year? I didn't see much in the way of talent.
The playcalling didn't help.

Devin
01-23-2006, 01:33 PM
First, it's Jason Peters, not Justin. Shelton's good enough (I guess) and we need a good backup for McGahee. Williams is too small. I hope Moulds is gone because his numbers don't justify his salary.

Second, I disagree on our front 7. While Crowell is good enough to start, I don't think he can replace Posey because a strong side linebacker should be a stronger guy who can go from a 3 point stance if necessary (not that Posey ever did that, but he might if we had a decent DC). London Fletcher is a ball-hawk but he's old and always gets his tackles after significant gains by the opposing offense Ron Edwards has not impressed me at all and I SERIOUSLY hope he's not our starting tackle. Hell, I think I'd start Anderson over Edwards, but hopefully we'll find someone in the draft/FA to solve this problem We failed to do it last year and I hope the new FO doesn't make the same mistake that the old one did.

Third, I'm worried about Milloy and Vincent. They always put on huge hits but get there a step too late to play the ball. Maybe Jabari Greer can step up but this is another position where young blood is necessary.

Fourth, Parrish makes me nervous as hell on punt returns. He needs to play smarter. Plus, at his size, I doubt he'll survive a whole season returning punts. But generally I agree that our ST should be good.

If Moulds is here it will be at a lower salary. I thought that was assumed.

Edwards got injured in like his 3rd/4th game somewhere in there. no one can have a legit opinion of him yet. While I understand what your saying about Crowell I believe we have the right LB's its simply a matter of how we use them. Fletcher once again was all over the field on D, I dont think hes lost a step at all.

Parrish came on very strong at the end of the season returning kicks, hes small but his speed is ridiculous.

No secondary is perfect, Milloy and Vincent are still a formidable S combination. Rashard Baker has shown signs he could become a starter soon.

OpIv37
01-23-2006, 01:38 PM
The playcalling didn't help.

no, but the O line completely lacked talent. The QB play ranged from sub-par to average. None of the receivers were terrible, but none of them really stood out either. Our TE's are a joke- they have literally 0 YAC ability and are average at best at blocking.

The D line was a joke- Sam Adams was good when he wanted to be. London Fletcher is slow and Posey is REALLY slow. Clements was just awful. Milloy and Vincent are always a step too late. And once you get past the starters it just goes downhill from there.

But, in an effort to be more positive: Gandy and Peters were both pleasant surprises on the O line. Schobel definitely has talent. McGee is an incredible return man and is really stepping it up as a corner. Crowell did well filling in for Spikes, and while Tim Anderson was lacking overall, he collapsed the pocket better than Edwards and swatted down a few balls at key points in games.

OpIv37
01-23-2006, 01:44 PM
If Moulds is here it will be at a lower salary. I thought that was assumed.

Edwards got injured in like his 3rd/4th game somewhere in there. no one can have a legit opinion of him yet. While I understand what your saying about Crowell I believe we have the right LB's its simply a matter of how we use them. Fletcher once again was all over the field on D, I dont think hes lost a step at all.

Parrish came on very strong at the end of the season returning kicks, hes small but his speed is ridiculous.

No secondary is perfect, Milloy and Vincent are still a formidable S combination. Rashard Baker has shown signs he could become a starter soon.

Edwards played with the starters in the preseason games then I think 4 games as a starter. He NEVER got any push into the backfield and I saw him get demolished several times. He had no big plays (sacks, tackles for losses) that I can recall (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If Parrish can put on a little muscle and play smarter, he may be okay. But he's a Miami guy, and they're dumb as bricks (with the exception of the great Jim Kelly of course).

I like Baker and I like King (although I think King's a CB). Vincent is one of the smarter players in the NFL and maybe he and Milloy will be better if we actually get pressure on the QB. But that Milloy safety blitz was an absolute joke this year and I hope it's taken out of the playbook.