• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Jauron already screwed up.

There is no such thing as competition at the QB position. There was none with Elway, Kelly, Montana, Marino, Aikman etc.

You pick a guy and give him 100% support and groom him. Jauron has pretty much said all positions will have competition. He was dumb enough to say 'If there is a guy that could take a Jim kelly's or Bruce smith's position, then god bless us'. Sorry Dick, GOOD coaches pick a guy and he gets the reps.

It is that simple. Aikman didn't compete with anyone. Guess he turned out ok. This guy is going to take needed reps from whomever is the starter and hurt both QB's.

And let me add this, When you do that it is very easy to make it where a certain player wins the competition. When we see JP gets next to no time with the first team in preseason you will see this.
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Re: Jauron already screwed up.

If JP gets no real chance to win the job, that'll be a serious mark against Jauron...but given a fair shot, JP can win it
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
      There is no such thing as competition at the QB position. There was none with Elway, Kelly, Montana, Marino, Aikman etc.

You pick a guy and give him 100% support and groom him. Jauron has pretty much said all positions will have competition. He was dumb enough to say 'If there is a guy that could take a Jim kelly's or Bruce smith's position, then god bless us'. Sorry Dick, GOOD coaches pick a guy and he gets the reps.

It is that simple. Aikman didn't compete with anyone. Guess he turned out ok. This guy is going to take needed reps from whomever is the starter and hurt both QB's.

And let me add this, When you do that it is very easy to make it where a certain player wins the competition. When we see JP gets next to no time with the first team in preseason you will see this.
      He was honest he didn't know enough about Losman yet.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
        Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
        • Dec 2005

Your right. I think i dunno.

I've always heard that no job is guarnetied in the NFL. Maybe i'm hearing it wrong i dunno.

But my question is this. How can a guy that hasn't seen Losman play just give him the job? I'm sure in the end this is what will happen anyway.

This happened with WM and TH when TH sucked WM came and ran with it. This is what Losman has to do. He has to run with it (not literally) if he is the starter then he needs to play like one.

I know what people will say. We need a O-line first. DUH i think everyone that has even watched bills highlights (oxymoron?) this season knows that. What do you people want from DJ answers today about everything?

Comment

• feelthepain
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Wasn't JP given the reins last year?? He lost the job because he didn't hold the Job, not becaise MM just felt like having a QB controversy!! You Bill fans want to win and you want JP to be the starter, you can't have both!! The HC's jobs on the line not yours, it's a result oriented business. JP didn't get results, JP was replaced with a veteran, and the Bills played much better.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

It is that simple. Aikman didn't compete with anyone. Guess he turned out ok.
            Yeah, he was OK. He's also probably the most overrated QB of all time.
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Mudflap1
              Next Question!
              • Nov 2004

Aikman competed with Steve Walsh. They were both taken in the first round in the same draft. Dallas let them compete head to head, then traded Walsh the next year because they realized Aikman was their guy.

Aikman won three Super Bowls. He's not overrated.

Jon

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                Yeah, he was OK. He's also probably the most overrated QB of all time.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                  • Apr 2004

If Holcomb outperforms JP, then perhaps he should start. However, up to now, Holcomb really hasn't done anything to convince me he is better, nor has JP done anything to convince me of the opposite. When in doubt, start the 1st rounder. This past season, there was doubt, thus my membership in the JPD.
                  I have a feeling JP will win the starting job.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

First, every single guy, besides Ralph, that wanted to draft Losman is no longer in the Bills' organization. Second, Jauron admitted that he doesn't know ANYTHING about Losman. Do you expect him to just name Losman the starter? No. Any coach with half a brain will evaluate every position when hired. Quit griping about Jauron, he's the new coach, deal with it or go become a fan of another team. This *****ing is getting old, fast.

Comment

• mush69
                      • Jan 2003

I think it should be a competition for QB. IMO Loseman needs something to push him, he showed flashes of talent this last year but he was very inconsistant. He has a strong arm but his accuracy just plain sucks. Time to hit the old tire swing for a few days.

Juron is not going to come in on day 1 and say this is going to be the guy, without atleast hitting the books for a bit. I say send Matthews back to changing diapers, find another veteran QB and invite him to camp. Let Holcomb, JP, and the vet battle it out!
                      Don't Mistake Lack Of Talent For Genius

Comment

• dolphinssuck
                        • Dec 2005

Yeah I agree griping is not going to change anything and maybe JP and KH should try for the starting position and then we'd see how much better and deserving JP is. As far as Jauron Im willing to give him a chance and maybe what hasnt worked for him in the past might work in Buffalo. I know alot of folks will disagree with me but it does no good to get mad about the hiring of Jauron so we can only accept it and hope for the best next season. Or there are alot of other teams to pull for in the NFL.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

Dick didn't screw up. It was standard procedure for a coach of his caliber and W-L record.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

But the question more on point would be was there competition for Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Heath Schuler, Tim Couch, Rick Mirer and Joey Harrington? That's what I want to know.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                              • Jan 2003

I agree with ftp about the league being result-oriented but then again there is a learning curve for entering the NFL. Most players don't enter the league and put up Pro-Bowl caliber numbers in their first 16 starts. There are exceptions, but they are not the rule. If the team is going give JP a fair shot at developing, then this talk about competition is ridiculous. If, however, the team simply isn't concerned with developing players and just wants to try hurling players at the wall until one sticks, then we are basically going to be spinning our tires for the next however-many years. This is why you don't see too many Kurt Warner stories. Most teams know there is going to be some bumps when the leader of your team is inexperienced.

Comment

Working...
                              X