PDA

View Full Version : You know what's funny?

The_Philster
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
With all the openings for head coaches in the league, the only 2 teams that even interviewed Mike Sherman were the Saints and the Bills. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it? If he's so great...or even just the best option out there, wouldn't he have gotten more interviews than that?

The_Philster
01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
interesting that none of the guys crying that we didn't take Sherman have nothing to say about this :scratch:

gr8slayer
01-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I dont think that means he is a bad coach.

!Papacrunk!
01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
So did Jauron get a lot of interviews as well??

The_Philster
01-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I dont think that means he is a bad coach.
no...but there has to be some reason that he didn't get many interviews

Bill Brasky
01-23-2006, 09:13 PM
How many places interviewed Richard Jauron?

The_Philster
01-23-2006, 09:18 PM
How many places interviewed Richard Jauron?nice way to not really respond to the thread..I've yet to see anyone (outside of a couple of bears) proclaim that Jauron was a great hire..the best he's been getting seems to be a wait-and-see attitude..meanwhile, there are a bunch of people talking as if Sherman is the 2nd coming or something

Bill Brasky
01-23-2006, 09:37 PM
nice way to not really respond to the thread..

Look who's talking! :rofl:

The_Philster
01-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Look who's talking! :rofl:
who here is talking up Jauron, though? If you find someone who is, point them out and have them answer the question..try reading the posts...you're putting words in peoples' mouths if you think everyone is excited about the hiring.

hydro014
01-23-2006, 10:01 PM
With all the openings for head coaches in the league, the only 2 teams that even interviewed Mike Sherman were the Saints and the Bills. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it? If he's so great...or even just the best option out there, wouldn't he have gotten more interviews than that?

I've said this for the last two weeks. I dont think he is a bad coach, but it is kind of weird for him to not have a job, especially with 10 off season HC openings this year. I wonder if DJ would ever think about bringing him in as OC or at least Bates as our DC?

tat2dmike77
01-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm not against Richard. I'm a bills fan so i will support whomever. Everyone deserves a chance.

I've heard all the oh he's a loser, and how he sucks and so on and so forth. Well people you might as well get used to him being the coach. Now the team needs to focus on fixing personal.

I think Rich can bring in some people that could help this team.

My only beef with rich.

He's a fargin red suxs fan.

The_Philster
01-23-2006, 10:03 PM
They were saying on NFL Total Access that Sherman had no interest in an OC job..

Mr. Cynical
01-23-2006, 10:20 PM

Great point.

And lets go one step further...of all the hired HC's...how many were interviewed by more than 3 teams?

Mudflap1
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Phil,

I agree, there's something there. I was all about Sherman on paper, but there is a reason that teams haven't been busting down the doors trying to interview him. Big ego? That could be it, I don't know.

Everyone is getting all over Marv saying he hired his buddy. I don't believe that's the case. Tom Donahoe hired guys who were puppets. Marv isn't going to hire a puppet. Would Marv hire a guy who he felt comfortable with and felt he could have some good personnel chemistry? Yes, and I think that's what he did, and I think that's what he should've done. Sometimes a few guys with good chemistry that are smart and think alike are more important than the highest priced, highest touted guys with the biggest egos.

Jauron, on paper, was definitely not my first choice. But he seems like an intelligent, stand up guy and he's a Buffalo Bill. For that reason, I welcome him and will give him a chance. Better than a mush-mouth politician at GM and a legion of underqualified puppets who would just as soon quit on their team (and do) once the guy pulling the strings gets the axe.

Jon

Tatonka
01-23-2006, 10:40 PM
that was actually a really good post mud.

Mudflap1
01-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks man. Look, most of us got what we wanted -- Donahoe gone, and then subsequently Mularkey gone. Let's see what Marv and his regime do. It's too early to judge. Let's see how free agency goes. Let's see how the draft goes. Everyone in the world seems to know what the key questions are:

1. Nate Clements - re-sign? Franchise tag? Sign and trade? Let him go freely?
2. Offensive line - get rid of Mike Williams? Sign more Ts and Gs?
3. Defensive line - more DTs?
4. J.P. Losman - how to deal? Open competition? No competition? Get rid of Holcomb and/or Matthews and bring in someone else? Bring in top coordinator tutor?
5. Staff -- need good coordinators
6. Moulds?

There are some others, like TE, CB, etc. but those are basically it. Let's see how they do with free agency and the draft, see what kinds of coordinators are brought in, and see how this team responds and comes out playing next season. I think we as the fans owe Marv at least that. The guy may be an inexperienced GM, but he's not a dumbass. He is a very intelligent guy that knows football. Let's give him a chance, and in doing so, give his head coach choice a chance.

Jon

Ickybaluky
01-24-2006, 05:08 AM

He was interviewed by Detriot as well.

Historian
01-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Phil,

I agree, there's something there. I was all about Sherman on paper, but there is a reason that teams haven't been busting down the doors trying to interview him. Big ego? That could be it, I don't know.

Everyone is getting all over Marv saying he hired his buddy. I don't believe that's the case. Tom Donahoe hired guys who were puppets. Marv isn't going to hire a puppet. Would Marv hire a guy who he felt comfortable with and felt he could have some good personnel chemistry? Yes, and I think that's what he did, and I think that's what he should've done. Sometimes a few guys with good chemistry that are smart and think alike are more important than the highest priced, highest touted guys with the biggest egos.

Jauron, on paper, was definitely not my first choice. But he seems like an intelligent, stand up guy and he's a Buffalo Bill. For that reason, I welcome him and will give him a chance. Better than a mush-mouth politician at GM and a legion of underqualified puppets who would just as soon quit on their team (and do) once the guy pulling the strings gets the axe.

Jon

Amen!

And Phillip...Log and I have been touting this as a good hire for two days.

It's just that our posts get lost amongst all the negative garbage.

:up:

mchurchfie
01-24-2006, 08:11 AM
nice way to not really respond to the thread..I've yet to see anyone (outside of a couple of bears) proclaim that Jauron was a great hire..the best he's been getting seems to be a wait-and-see attitude..meanwhile, there are a bunch of people talking as if Sherman is the 2nd coming or something
It's becoming fairly apparent that Phil likes Dick.:limp:

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Amen!

Count me in. There was something weird about Sherman. I don't think he was going to be a real team player within the organization, and the front office clearly seems to be trying to create a top-down chemistry that didn't exist in the Donawho era. I probably would have been more excited if they picked Sherman upon the same criteria, i.e they thought he was going to work well within the organization, but if Marv thinks that Jauron's the best fit, I'm signing on until Jauron gives me a reason to think otherwise. My judgment process starts with his hiring of coordinators.

justasportsfan
01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
:snicker:

Jeff1220
01-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Nice posts in this thread. There is definitely something weird about Sherman, even though he seemed to be the best candidate on paper. The best candidate is not always the best fit. I hope DJ makes us all believers in him sooner rather than later.
Also, I think MS is getting about $3.5million to stay home this year. It would've cost a lot to get him, and who knows what some of his power/job demands were. Ego could very well have played a large factor in his not yet getting a HC position for 06.

dplus47
01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Also, I think MS is getting about $3.5million to stay home this year. It would've cost a lot to get him, and who knows what some of his power/job demands were. Ego could very well have played a large factor in his not yet getting a HC position for 06.

i think this part is the key. the guy is getting over 3 mil to stay at home. a team knows it's going to have to give him a little to get him.

tantra
01-24-2006, 01:05 PM
While Jauron definitely wasn't my first choice, would have rather preferred that the Bills Front Office went after Kubiak and Saunders before the Texans and Dan "The Money" Snyder got to them, and if not them, then Sherman, not coz i thought he was a great coach, but one who had definitely proved himself by his record in Green Bay even if he was unsuccessful in the playoffs and some of his suspect playcalling tendencies, I have to say now that since Jauron is here, we have to accept it and just hope for the best. Negativity isn't going to get us nowhere, so lets just hope that that Levy and Modrak and the rest of the Bills Front Office draft a solid rookie class and free agents, Jauron and his staff schemes a good Xs & Os game, the team executes that gameplan to the best of their ability, plays hard, and a never quit mindset reminescent of the Ben Watson play against Champ Bailey.

After two unsuccessful attempts with promoting coordinators like GW and MM to HC positions, I was pretty sure Ralph wouldnt go for Kubiak and Saunders inspite their impressive records with the Broncos and Cheifs and instead go in for a HC with past HC experience. Problem with Jauron is that he's reputed to be a defensive expert, but his defense in Chicago barring one season and Detroit never really lit up the field and was porous to say the least especially in his last stop in Detroit. Still he seems like a guy who the players respect and trust and believe in, which speaks a lot, coz MM definitely lacked that trait.

Looking at our schedule for next year, even thru all the upgrades that our opponents make thru the draft and free agency, we still can with some luck be an 8 win team and with some more luck even 9.

About Levy and Wilson not fallin for Sherman, one reason could be that maybe Sherman wanted more lee way with regard to presonnel decisions. Him wanting that is totally understandable since he also had the GM responsibility in Green Bay, in which he wasn't successful at all. Also he might have commanded a fair amount of money which Ralph wasn't prepared to dole out.

About our coordinators, guys who do you think is the best available out there. I would defnitely go after Donnie Henderson of the Jetsas our DC. His defenses were solid with the Jets, and while in '06 was badly hampered by injuries, i still liked his aggressive defensive playcalling schemes and tactics. I was reading somewhere that in 7 games last year, his Jets defense didnt allow any second half points. Now thats whats i call solid adjustments. About OC I dont have a clue. What do you guys think?

The_Philster
01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
you're just upset cause you ain't got one

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 02:45 PM
He was interviewed by Detriot as well.

Woooooooow!

That is like working at Best Buy, and being interviewed by the Floor Manager.

Dr. Lecter
01-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Woooooooow!

That is like working at Best Buy, and being interviewed by the Floor Manager.

The Saints ain't high praise either.

Dr. Lecter
01-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Amen!

I think the hiring is OK too. Hell, for what was available it was pretty damn good.

I just wonder if these people who are no longer fans will become fans once again if the Bills are successful under Jauron and Marv?

The_Philster
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
I think the hiring is OK too. Hell, for what was available it was pretty damn good.

I just wonder if these people who are no longer fans will become fans once again if the Bills are successful under Jaruon adn Marv?
part of me hopes not...bandwagon/fairweather fans aren't fans at all :ill:

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I think most of the DJ detractors will be pretty happy if forced to admit they are wrong.

Ferrygoat
01-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Its obvious that DJ is the best fit for the Bills, whether you like him or not, Sherman wasnt the man for the job, get over it