PDA

View Full Version : Levy's Quotes

Kerr
01-24-2006, 12:09 AM
"I came here with a losing record," Levy said. "Bill Belichick went to New England with a losing record. Mike Shanahan went to Denver off of a losing record in Oakland. Record alone doesn't tell the whole story. This is no putdown on Mike, with whom I have high regard, but he did have better personnel with which to work.

This was pointed out a few times by a couple of posters. Fans want to critacize DJ based on his coaching record, but as you can see, many above average coaches have had similar results.

"Dick didn't allude to the fact that because of the renovations at Soldier Field, they played every game out of town (2002). Every one of them was on the road down in Champaign. Those things affected the team. They never had an impact quarterback, among other people. In his last year there, the team came back to 7-9. When he had most of the pieces there, he had a 13-3 season. You need good personnel."

This is the same thing Mike Holmgren alluded to. He thought DJ had good players, but not great. In 2001 he had the pieces together because he had a healthy group of good players that all contributed to their success. It's true that injuries became an issue while DJ was head coach with the Bears.

"There are people inside football who know football and know who the good guys are and did bring forth his name to me," Levy said. "We were looking for three qualities in our coach. First, he had to be a good teacher. He needed to be able to work well within the organization. He has to because he can't do it alone, and he had to have the respect of the players, and Dick has that."

So it's clear that Marv and Wilson felt that neither Sherman or any of the other candidates gathered up all those attributres, for which to be considered as the finalist for the head coaching job. Again, Mike Holmgren alluded to the fact that DJ was a good teacher.

At first, I was dissapointed, but the more I thought about it, I realized that Marv spent his whole time in Chicago as a resident following Bears games. There's something he saw in DJ after all these years to consider him as a top candidate for head coaching position. Marv is unproven as a GM thus far, but given the success he's had with this franchise, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. The man is certainly nothing like TD was. Everyone knew TD had some form of egoism issue when he came over from Pitt because of the alleged power struggle between he and Bill Cowher. The fanbase already knows Marv. We know he won't try to bull**** us. He's always been straight forward. So, having said all that, we should just give Marv time to do his thing and right the ship. The season just finished, and he hasn't even begun to bring in FA's, etc. So just sit back and relax. There's nothing you can really do(besides *****ing and whining) that will change the course of Marv's plans. :handball:

Mr. Cynical
01-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Let's take a look at his "vaunted" defense's overall rankings:

As DC in Jax, it ranked 19th, 15th, 24th and 25th.
As HC in Chicago it ranked 30th, 16th, 13th, 25th and 12th.
As DC In Detroit it ranked 20th.

Not once was his defense in the top 10.

At some point you have to look at the coach and not all the excuses.

kgun12
01-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Nice post Kerr! I'm not sure who most people wanted as HC, but it wouldn't have mattered they would ***** if Lombari came back to life and coached us! :curtsey:

Kerr
01-24-2006, 01:19 AM

I don't see how not having his defense in the top 10 automatically makes him a bad head coach?
Should it be neglected that during his stint as DC for the jags, he helped them reach the postseason 3 out of 4 seasons he was there? Should it be neglected that in 2001 his defense was 1 in the league for point allowed? The good should always be looked with the bad.

Historian
01-24-2006, 04:47 AM
"I came here with a losing record," Levy said. "Bill Belichick went to New England with a losing record. Mike Shanahan went to Denver off of a losing record in Oakland. Record alone doesn't tell the whole story. This is no putdown on Mike, with whom I have high regard, but he did have better personnel with which to work.

It doesn't take much to out-prepare the Buffalo press, does it?

mybills
01-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Kgun - I can't believe you used the :curtsey: smilie.

:rofl:

Buckets
01-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Good Post

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2006, 08:48 AM

are these rankings in yards or points?

Mad Bomber
01-24-2006, 08:56 AM
:bf1:

Nice post, Kerr.

kgun12
01-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Kgun - I can't believe you used the :curtsey: smilie.

:rofl:

mybills after all that was said on the board yesterday I though it was quite fitting!