PDA

View Full Version : My Surprise Cut

Buffarama
08-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Will be Alex Van Pelt. He came into camp heavier than last year, and has not looked very sharp. I don't know his cap implications after his 5 year deal he just signed, but I will pick him as the shocker if he doesn't improve.

HenryRules
08-11-2002, 06:27 PM
I think that would definitely qualify as a suprise. Not that I think AVP is great or anything, I just don't see any other QB's on our roster other than DB and TB that are worth keeping. AVP is at least a good locker room influence, but right now that's the only benefit I see him providing the team.

TigerJ
08-11-2002, 09:02 PM
I think AVP will probably hold on this year. Depending on his cap numbers he might be gone next year. I'm assuming Travis Brown keeps developing. Statistically he did not have a great game vs. the Bengals but I don't place a lot of stock in that. I think some passes were dropped by guys that won't be on the team on opening day.

The_Philster
08-11-2002, 09:24 PM
I don't see Alex going anywhere...can't judge him on ONE poor performance in his first preseason game

Novacane
08-11-2002, 09:54 PM
I doubt it. Can see this being his last year though.

Bert102176
08-12-2002, 12:28 PM
the Bills may hold on to him till next year, but I see them maybe drafting a Qb next year, and so far rumor has it thas Chris Simms will not be a first round pick which is good since the Bills don't have a #1 pick, but there is alot of good QB's that are playing their last year in college this season.

HenryRules
08-12-2002, 03:10 PM
With all the quality QB's coming out next year and with the abundance of teams that already have young QB's I think the Bills should be able to grab a highly toughted QB possibly as late as the 3rd or 4th round next year. Personally, I like the idea of drafting a QB next year and cutting AVP or TB depending on how they do this year. If the drafted QB gets ready quickly before Bledsoe is done, we can always trade away the young QB for a high draft pick.

Novacane
08-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Why draft a young QB next year when DB has probably 5 seasons as the starter at least. Wait another year or 2. You don't need young guy riding the pine for 5 years. They learn by playing.

HenryRules
08-12-2002, 11:24 PM
BTR46, I said draft a QB depending on how AVP and TB do. Right now, I'm not sold on either as a backup. Backup QB's can be incredibly important - and you only need to look at the number of backup QB's that have been significant in their teams advancement to the Super Bowl for evidence of this fact. I wasn't saying draft the QB to necessarily be DB's replacement, only that its a good idea to draft one next year with how deep the draft is so we could end up having one of the better backup QB's. If the young QB gets good enough to warrant a starting position before Bledsoe's career winds down, then trade him for a high pick and what was once a 4th rounder turns into a first or second rounder. Otherwise, we have our backup QB for the next ten years when right now neither QB has shown much (the door is still open to TB, but being rejected by 3 or 4 teams is not the greatest of starts to a resume).