PDA

View Full Version : rate the top coordinators

Tatonka
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
who do you want to see as the OC and DC...

for me:

OC - in this order

1. Mike Martz
2. Heimerdinger
3. Steve Mariucci
4. Caldwell
5. Wyche
6. Lofton

DC - in this order

1. Bates
2. Singleterry
3. Gray - i know you guys hate this.. but with DJs input, maybe he can turn it around
4. i have no clue.

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2006, 02:12 PM
There's no confirmation that Donnie Henderson is already gone.

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2006, 02:13 PM
What about Sherman as OC?

tonyc37
01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks Jaroun is a great defensive coach.His teams in Chicago were average and the same in Detroit.In Chicago they were in the bottom half of the league in points allowed every year.

mysticsoto
01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
who do you want to see as the OC and DC...

for me:

OC - in this order

1. Mike Martz
2. Heimerdinger
3. Steve Mariucci
4. Caldwell
5. Wyche
6. Lofton

DC - in this order

1. Bates
2. Singleterry
3. Gray - i know you guys hate this.. but with DJs input, maybe he can turn it around
4. i have no clue.

You might as well remove Caldwell from the OC list. He has no incentive to leave the Colts for the same job at OBD.

Kerr
01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, Sherman wouldn't be a bad OC either.
I forgot about Mike Singletary. I'd figure that if Sherman were hired here, Bates would coming along.

jdbillsfan
01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
I would put Henderson as #2 behind Bates. Other than that, looks good.

I have a bad feeling that our Coordinators will not come from those lists though.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 02:53 PM
You might as well remove Caldwell from the OC list. He has no incentive to leave the Colts for the same job at OBD.

Isn't Caldwell quarterbacks coach/asst. head coach for the Colts? He's not the OC. OC for the Bills would be a promotion. That is, if going from coaching Peyton Manning to running an offense for JP/KH can be considerd a promotion.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't see Sherman coming here as OC after we negged him for the head coach job.

NYJ EcKo151
01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Isn't Caldwell quarterbacks coach/asst. head coach for the Colts? He's not the OC. OC for the Bills would be a promotion. That is, if going from coaching Peyton Manning to running an offense for JP/KH can be considerd a promotion.
Correct. The OC is Tom Moore, even though we pretty much know Peyton runs the offense.

lordofgun
01-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Martz and Bates. :up:

I love the way you think, T.

jdbillsfan
01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
The problem with most of the good coordinators like Bates, Heimer, Martz, etc. is they probably command more money then they are paying Jauron. Those guys aren't Jauron's boys or anything either, so they aren't going to come here for cheaper.

I predict that we will hire two scrubs to fit in with our Heirarchy.

DraftBoy
01-24-2006, 03:52 PM
OC- James Lofton
DC-Mike Singletary

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2006, 03:53 PM
The problem with most of the good coordinators like Bates, Heimer, Martz, etc. is they probably command more money then they are paying Jauron. Those guys aren't Jauron's boys or anything either, so they aren't going to come here for cheaper.

Great. We'll be the 2002 4-12 Bears. :ill:

Michael82
01-24-2006, 03:54 PM

:sigh:

:puke:

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2006, 03:54 PM
OC- James Lofton
DC-Mike Singletary
I might prefer to have these guys play than coach.

NorthCarBills
01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Any chance Sherman could be brought in as OC and Asst. Head Coach maybe? What about Caldwell from Indy?

RedEyE
01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey, if the Raiders don't hire the Shermanator then he's out of a job. He may still try to slip into a place where he has the cahnce to take the team in a year or two. Chances are that that won't be with the Bills.

However, Jauron is strictly supposed to be a team "manager". Who ever comes in for DC and OC will have complete control of their respectable teams.

In other words, there is still an outside chance that Sherman comes to Buffalo as an OC.

Martz bottoms my list for this Bills team. Although he tends to get the most out of his QBs, he also has an amazing knack to forget about the run game. I like losman, but he is not strong enought to carry this team on his back. We need an offensive coach that is run minded.

With that being said, I like Caldwell.

Here's why....first off, Caldwell has been a QB coach with Kerry Collins, Payton Manning and Brad Johnson. All 3 of these QBs excelled beneath Caldwell. He would be a perfect guy for JP to learn from. That is caldwell and Wyche teaming up on Losman can't be a bad thing.

Second, each of the teams that Caldwell has played for, were not just successful throwing the ball, they were also very successful running it. I think he could bring in an offense that will boost the level of play out of this Bills team. I also think that he will seriously push to retain Moulds. Good, experienced recievers are hard to come by.

DC

I'm still pulling for my man Mike Archer. Although there hasn't been any mention of anyone looking his direction this year, I'm hoping the Bills dig deeper then the usual suspects.

Archer knows the 3-4 and the 4-3 in and out. He's the type of guy Marv would love. Respectable, unassuming and very knowledgeable. Does not premote a heavy attacking defense, but when his D does blitz he makes it count.

Cottrell..the game has passed him by.
Henderson...would be fine with me as well.
Singletary....needs to prove himself a few more years before we try and gamble with him.

Philagape
01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
OC:
1. Caldwell
2. Wyche

DC: Cottrell

No one else raises an eyebrow

I don't like Martz at all. Anyone can look good with Faulk, Holt, Bruce, Pace and Warner/Bulger. But his play-calling is often horrible.

ShadowHawk7
01-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Cash money, baby. Not like Wilson would pay much, but oh well, maybe it'll happen. I like T's DC list but I think the OCs should be:

1. Caldwell
2. Mariucci
3. Martz
4. Wyche
5. Lofton

RedEyE
01-24-2006, 05:48 PM

Caldwell is the Colts HC Asst/QB coach. Tom Moore is the Colts OC. Tom Moore isn't going anywhere. If Jim wants to boost his career, he would welcome an OC position with the Bills with open arms.

Throne Logic
01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I certainly don't want Mike Martz. As I've said before, he could be the WORST play-calling coach, in regards to run / pass balance, this side of Kevin Gilbride. Wyche would be a good choice, but his health issues are apparently substantial enough to limit him to a lesser roll. Caldwell is a huge reach. Yeah, he's been around success, but that doesn't mean he can coach at the Coordinator level. Mooch is a West Coast guy. I'm not sure this personnel, JP in particular, are well suited for the offense. But I could be wrong on that. I'd be OK with Mooch - don't think he'll settle for a Coordinator's position.

Singletary is an interesting choice for DC if we stay with the pseudo-46 defense. He was the QB of that Bears defense that pioneered this defense. As with RedEye, I question if he's ready for the Coordinator position. Archer is intriguing, too. I would love to find someone who has strong experience with the 3-4 and make that change.

RedEyE
01-24-2006, 06:28 PM
bye bye Henderson....

Lions | Henderson brought on to serve as defensive coordinator
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:58:48 -0800
Sirius <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl">NFL Radio reports the Detroit Lions (http://www.kffl.com/team/16/nfl) have signed Donnie Henderson (http://www.kffl.com/player/9344/nfl) to take over as their defensive coordinator.

Meister
01-24-2006, 09:57 PM
I dont really get why people, especially bills fans, rate Bates as the top D coordinator out there. By all accounts hes a great person and did a good job during his brief stint as head coach for the phins, but he is not an innovative coordinator. He is limited to a very basic 4-3 system and would need at least a couple years to revamp the defense to fit his style of play. A new generation of defense is apon us and the base 4-3 just doesnt work unless you have the talent that Miami had or Carolina has now. If your team has shutdown corners, dominant DEs, and a great MLB hes your guy.

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Cash money, baby. Not like Wilson would pay much, but oh well, maybe it'll happen. I like T's DC list but I think the OCs should be:

1. Caldwell
2. Mariucci
3. Martz
4. Wyche
5. Lofton
Yep yep yep. Sounds like it's going to be another nobody offensive line coach from Houston. :(

Ferrygoat
01-24-2006, 11:27 PM
I certainly don't want Mike Martz. As I've said before, he could be the WORST play-calling coach, in regards to run / pass balance, this side of Kevin Gilbride. Wyche would be a good choice, but his health issues are apparently substantial enough to limit him to a lesser roll. Caldwell is a huge reach. Yeah, he's been around success, but that doesn't mean he can coach at the Coordinator level. Mooch is a West Coast guy. I'm not sure this personnel, JP in particular, are well suited for the offense. But I could be wrong on that. I'd be OK with Mooch - don't think he'll settle for a Coordinator's position.

Singletary is an interesting choice for DC if we stay with the pseudo-46 defense. He was the QB of that Bears defense that pioneered this defense. As with RedEye, I question if he's ready for the Coordinator position. Archer is intriguing, too. I would love to find someone who has strong experience with the 3-4 and make that change.
Mooch might settle for a OC position because thats all he has, and he has ties with Jauron, not likely but its possible

Bmax
01-25-2006, 02:46 AM
wyche
caldwell

Cotrell
Bates
Venturi-NORLEANS- IF AVAILABLE

Bmax

LifetimeBillsFan
01-25-2006, 02:49 AM
Steve Fairchild, the Rams OC, who took over from Martz might also be a possibility. He coached for the Bills under G.Williams--RBs I believe.

If the reports here in NYC are true, Heimerdinger will be staying with Mangini. That's what the Jets are saying, although there is still speculation that, if the Jets let him out of his contract, Heimerdinger will join his college roommate, Shanahan, in Denver, replacing Kubiak.

I'm sorry that D.Henderson is gone. His Jets defenses were similar to the Bills and quite good. They didn't quit on him, either, when their offense was totally inept. Additionally, Jets owner Woody Johnson is supposedly the cheapest owner in the NFL when it comes to paying coaches--even worse than RW--and it wouldn't have been hard to pay Henderson more than he was getting from the Jets. (BTW: The NY Daily News reported on Monday that Mangini's deal is only 4 years for $ 7 million with a housing allowance and not the 5 year $ 15 million deal that was originally reported. That's only $ 1.7 million a year.)

CuseJetsFan83
01-25-2006, 04:24 AM
according to espn they say that because heimerdinger wants out because he says he was signed on to be hermans' oc not anyone elses, so let him leave........... anywho, i hope donnie does well in detroit, but again another inept offense is something he runs into.

haslett is gone, jauron is the hc, honestly i wouldnt be surprised to see some no name end up being the bills oc/dc

CuseJetsFan83
01-25-2006, 04:24 AM
kinda a sidebar, but do you think jim kelly would be a better qb coach, ocoordinator (k-gun offense) or hc?

The_Philster
01-25-2006, 04:58 AM
kinda a sidebar, but do you think jim kelly would be a better qb coach, ocoordinator (k-gun offense) or hc?
it's a moot point as he has no interest in coaching

CuseJetsFan83
01-25-2006, 05:10 AM
for the time being yes........ but im saying if he were ever to go into coaching... hs/college/nfl/other pro league.......... which would best suit him?

vicmantak
01-25-2006, 05:55 AM
It's a no brainer:

1: Caldwell

2: Blache
http://www.redskins.com/team/cprofile.jsp?id=30

don137
01-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Unfortunately, I am sure the Redskins will just give Blache a nice raise and will make double the money as a DL coach in Washington than as DC in Buffalo. They have to have by far the most expensive coaching staff in all of sports.

RedEyE
01-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Redskins | Blache turned down another opportunity
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:40:32 -0800
The Washington Post reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl">Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs (http://www.kffl.com/player/9143/nfl) said defensive coordinator Greg Blache (http://www.kffl.com/player/8294/nfl) has turned down an opportunity elsewhere to remain with the Redskins.

Michael82
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Redskins | Blache turned down another opportunity
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:40:32 -0800
The Washington Post reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl">Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs (http://www.kffl.com/player/9143/nfl) said defensive coordinator Greg Blache (http://www.kffl.com/player/8294/nfl) has turned down an opportunity elsewhere to remain with the Redskins.
The only thing that makes sense about that is the kind of money that he is making. Gregg Williams gets all the credit for the defense, not him. :shakeno:

LifetimeBillsFan
01-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Since nobody else is giving me props for calling the Bills' OC job (see above), I guess I'll just have to do it myself.:handball:

vicmantak
01-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Since nobody else is giving me props for calling the Bills' OC job (see above), I guess I'll just have to do it myself.:handball:
No. You really won the OC contest but who do you think will be the DC?

On the other hand, thanks RedEye for the info.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-26-2006, 03:05 AM
I really liked what I saw from Bates when he was with Miami--especially how his team played hard for him right to the end of a bad season--so he's my first choice and I hope he takes the job.

After that, I'm not so sure. I'm not a fan of Ted Cottrell after seeing what he did with 4-3 defenses with the Jets and Minny (yes, they got better, but weren't as dominant as their personnel would have led one to think they would have been).

Marshall from Seattle sounds interesting as a fall-back if Bates doesn't accept the Bills' DC job. He did a fantastic job with the young guys that they brought in at LB this year when injuries hit. And their D seemed to get better over the course of the season even though Rhodes was out under Marshall (that includes in the defensive backfield where he had to work in some new people at safety and Andre Dyson at CB). His resume prior to this season is really solid, too. The only question I have is whether he would come to Buffalo at a price that R.Wilson would be willing to pay after working for Paul Allen in Seattle.