PDA

View Full Version : If we made an offseason QB move.....

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
who would you shoot for? I wouldnt mind signing Steve McNair relatively cheap, ditching Holcombe, and then giving JP a shot to win the job in camp. Here's how I see it:

1. If JP shows significant improvement and shows that he has legitimate potential for becoming a franchise quarterback, start him. no harm done--we then have Steve McNair on the bench for emergency use.

2. McNair would be a solid starter for next year if JP doesnt prove that he can handle the job. He'd give us a better chance to "win now" than Holcombe.

3. If JP looks good in camp but tanks in the regular season, he gets canned for good, McNair finishes the season, and we have this conversation again next year, but without JP's name in the mix.

Anybody else you'd rather throw into the mix? Any targets for a Nate Clements tag-and-trade etc?

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Mcnair would be a great QB for JP to learn from in my opinion. Is he being cut for sure?

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm just throwing this out there, but I don't think McNair would sit behind JP Losman, and I don't think any coach would have McNair behind JP on their depth chart... but then again, it is the Bills.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2006, 04:15 PM
agreed if Mcnair was brought in it would be to start.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 04:17 PM
No, McNair may re-sign. I saw an article that the Titans might draft a QB and keep McNair around as a mentor. It will however take some serious contract negotiations to get McNair's numbers down

But my argument might also apply to a few other guys available in free agency. I'm thinking if we get an upgrade for Holcombe, it gives us both a better chance of winning now and also not abandoning JP quite yet. The issue is of course whether we could sign someone cheap enough to make it work

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Sure, bring in McNair to start, and let JP go at him in camp. if JP shows big-time improvement, he's the future and any coach would be smart to start him. That's my point. McNair is pretty old; even if he stays in Tennessee he'll be looking at a mentor/backup role in the next couple years.

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 04:27 PM
The last thing JP needs is another QB coming in and stealing his playing time. The kid has shown promise. Just give him a line and be patient. This really is his make or break year. The Bills will know this season whether or not he's for real or a bust. They can afford to let him rough it out this year cuz they are obviously going nowhere this year. Let him play the whole year, and then they will know what to do with him. No more QB Musical Chairs.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2006, 04:29 PM
I of course have no problems with just letting JP play no matter what, since that is what they should have done last year.

hydro014
01-24-2006, 04:37 PM
The last thing JP needs is another QB coming in and stealing his playing time. The kid has shown promise. Just give him a line and be patient. This really is his make or break year. The Bills will know this season whether or not he's for real or a bust. They can afford to let him rough it out this year cuz they are obviously going nowhere this year. Let him play the whole year, and then they will know what to do with him. No more QB Musical Chairs.

I agree with you 100%. The only thing that worries me is that they want a QB competition, Holcomb vs JP. If they are not going to bring in a guy that has even the potential to be a starting QB their should be no competition. I really think that JP will be fine with some experience under his belt, the guy has to a have full season of playing time. Holcomb is not a starter in this league, he has not been one for 11 years, and is not going to turn into one. IMO if they are going to have an open competition next year it has to be JP vs ????, Not JP vs Holcomb.

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 04:42 PM
They should have had a QB competition last year, but they made the choice to go with JP. Therefore, he should have started every game last year unless he was injured.

Putting in Holcomb was stupid. Ruins his confidence and gives him no game exprience. Last season was a waste. This year they need to find out of JP is for real or a bust. The only way it happens is by letting him take the healm. They're not going to make the playoffs this year, so they might as well see what they have with JP so they either keep him or move on.

Give the kid a line and see what he can do.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I definately agree that JP got robbed this year. He should have started every game. This season was pretty much useless in that regard. It was bad enough on his confidence to take the beating that he did, but then to also have the coaching staff show no confidence......pretty sh***y. I don't however, agree that he should be "appointed" starter again. I'd like to see at least a pretense of competition, if for no other reason than to get the team behind him.

Anyway, the point of my thread was the "IF". As in, IF we do make a move based on JP's poor showing last year, what would you like that move to be? McNair was a thought, what other options are out there?

Carlton Bailey
01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
McNair would be awesome. He's far better than the alternative...

Holcomb.

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
I definately agree that JP got robbed this year. He should have started every game. This season was pretty much useless in that regard. It was bad enough on his confidence to take the beating that he did, but then to also have the coaching staff show no confidence......pretty sh***y. I don't however, agree that he should be "appointed" starter again. I'd like to see at least a pretense of competition, if for no other reason than to get the team behind him.

Anyway, the point of my thread was the "IF". As in, IF we do make a move based on JP's poor showing last year, what would you like that move to be? McNair was a thought, what other options are out there?

I guess they could take a chance on Philip Rivers, they like going after unproven commodities.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen since they wanted either Rivers or Roethlisberger 2 years ago anyways. But, there are gonna be tons of teams that want Rivers if he's even tradable. SD said they want to keep him and Brees. Don't know if they will though, Rivers wants to play.

dolphinssuck
01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
If we took Rivers then we might as well have held on to JP but JP I belive has a little more playing time than Rivers. I believe IMO that we should just let JP start and either hang on the KH or get a BU to come in. After last season I seriously doubt KH is gonna want to stay as a BU he'll want to start.So I belive if he doesnt get to he'll want out of Buffalo.

Throne Logic
01-24-2006, 05:20 PM

Agreed. I don't think changing QB's would be productive at this point. Holcomb is a good backup option. He's also signed for a couple years, so he'd be a CAP hit if he were released. JP should get the chance to prove he is or isn't the guy - and that chance means stick with him for 6 games minimum without the mental headgames of yanking him, then reinstating him, then yanking him.

AndreReed83
01-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Unless the QB the Bills brought in would be a major improvement and probably lead to a playoff berth, let JP start the entire season. He's the future, but the future will never come if it keeps getting pushed back each season.

Dont drink the water
01-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Agreed. I don't think changing QB's would be productive at this point. Holcomb is a good backup option. He's also signed for a couple years, so he'd be a CAP hit if he were released. JP should get the chance to prove he is or isn't the guy - and that chance means stick with him for 6 games minimum without the mental headgames of yanking him, then reinstating him, then yanking him.

The problem with that is if the bags and other stuff returns next year why should a coach put up with crap trying to develop a quarterback when they get all that bad press? Offseason is the time to develop players - head coaches are paid to win, right? That is all Jauron is judged by many here - his record in Chicago despite a GM trying to oust him.