PDA

View Full Version : If we made an offseason QB move.....

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
who would you shoot for? I wouldnt mind signing Steve McNair relatively cheap, ditching Holcombe, and then giving JP a shot to win the job in camp. Here's how I see it:

1. If JP shows significant improvement and shows that he has legitimate potential for becoming a franchise quarterback, start him. no harm done--we then have Steve McNair on the bench for emergency use.

2. McNair would be a solid starter for next year if JP doesnt prove that he can handle the job. He'd give us a better chance to "win now" than Holcombe.

3. If JP looks good in camp but tanks in the regular season, he gets canned for good, McNair finishes the season, and we have this conversation again next year, but without JP's name in the mix.

Other options:

-Any targets for a Nate Clements tag-and-trade etc?
-Anybody want to draft a QB?

Thoughts?

ShadowHawk7
01-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Doubtful that we'd ditch KH and sign McNair. Maybe we'll pick a day 2 QB to push Holcomb and replace Matthews? That would be a good idea imo..
Either way JP should be starter in 06'.

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2006, 07:35 PM
why get mcnair and have the same situation we had this year with holcomb next year with mcnair? I dont care about back up QB enough to drop one after his first year to get another older more injury prone QB.

Meathead
01-24-2006, 07:47 PM
are you freaking kidding me?!?

as much as i like holcomb as a good caretaker mcnair completely blows him away. he blows losman away. he blows half of the starting qbs away

we aint getting him

OpIv37
01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
McNair is old and injured all the time. And he's a very short term solution.

I'm against any QB move, not because I'm satisfied with the situation but because I think there is no guaranteed improvement out there. There is a huge lack of QB talent in the league right now and we're better off sticking with Losman than trying to grab last decade's has-beens.

Meathead
01-24-2006, 08:28 PM
granted hes got injury problems and would likely miss on average around four or five games

ok but in those games hed still be pretty kick ass. not what he once was but only a couple seasons removed from mvp after a damn good career so still pretty kick ass

i would be extremely pleased to plug mr mcnair into the lineup twelve regular season games and have holcomb or losman do the rest

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I think Mcnair would miss half the season. Hes winding his career down, and like OP said it would be a short term solution. Gannon was a year removed from MVP and what happend to him. Mcnair is old, washed up, injury proned, and on the downward spiral of his career. I wouldnt be surprised to see Volek start half way through the season next year either by the typical Mcnair injury or just bc Volek has more upside to him.

YardRat
01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Draft a young guy to replace Matthews (late day one or early day 2), keep JP and Holcomb to compete for the starting job.

Bert102176
01-25-2006, 06:03 AM
McNair stinks he should retire David Carr may available, Culpepper is available, Ramsey from Washington think he is available and we have an extra 3rd round pick to work with.

Stewie
01-25-2006, 09:09 AM
McNair is too short term a solution, unless he comes for cheap. And if he's coming here for cheap, something tells me he'd rather be somewhere south, near Mississippi.

I'd consider tradeing the #8 pick or Nate Clements straight up for Philip Rivers. If not Nate, then franchise/trade him for another first round pick or a couple picks.

dolphinssuck
01-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Mcnair was be a waste to get hes past his prime and would certainly not be long term. If we go that route we need a young or atleast a QB who hasnt suffered as many injuries. I personally would not mind KH being our BU and JP starting but after last season I dont think KH is gonna want to stay here as a BU. Id like to Culpepper come in as much as I like JP Id like Culpepper as our QB. If not IMO start JP next season.

lynobx
01-25-2006, 06:05 PM
JP has started all of 8 games. I hope the Bills' new brain trust has the courage to let him play and develop, as the Giants did with Eli and several other teams have done with their young guys.

I can see drafting a young QB in the late rounds to replace Matthews - and perhaps Holcomb, eventually - but I can't see bringing in and starting an older QB with no future. That will just keep us spinning our wheels and ******ing JP's progress.

tat2dmike77
01-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Cullpeper isn't going anywhere

McNair would just cause more problems then doing good.

Stay the course with JP. When did it become a league in which if you don't win as rookie you suck. I like big ben but he did the worse thing for rookie QB's.

The_Philster
01-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Draft a young guy to replace Matthews (late day one or early day 2), keep JP and Holcomb to compete for the starting job.
agreed..and if, on the off-chance JP doesn't pan out, we have another young guy already possibly waiting in the wings