PDA

View Full Version : Buy the Bills & keep them in Buffalo!

Mitchy moo
01-24-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.buythebills.com/pages/1/index.htm

What do you all think of this?

Typ0
01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
I couldn't agree more about putting the stadium downtown...but I do think it should be a retractable dome so we can play all games but the superbowl outside and concerts can be held in the winter.

lordofgun
01-24-2006, 06:52 PM
IT IS OUR WISH TO SECURE A DOMED DOWNTOWN STADIUM FOR THE BUFFALO BILLS.

No thanks.

RedEyE
01-24-2006, 06:53 PM
A) Love the idea of purchasing the Bills :up: :up:
B) I don't know if this is considered legal in the NFL
C) No way in hell should Masiello and Golisano be allowed near the Board of Directors :down: :down: :down:
D) Love the idea of bringing the stadium downtown :up: :up: :up: :up:
E) Hate the idea of a dome. :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

Typ0
01-24-2006, 07:02 PM
I think Skooby built this whole website to perpetuate one of his myths.

Typ0
01-24-2006, 07:04 PM
it would be legal for a group to purchase the team I believe...but they can't incorporate and sell common stock.

The Spaz
01-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I think this is a SCAM at least right now IMO.

The_Philster
01-24-2006, 07:41 PM
my thoughts as well, Spaz...you need one person with a majority of the shares...anyone putting together an attempt to buy a team would have to know that

Gunzlingr
01-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I wish cities could own their teams :(

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I wish cities could own their teams :(

Green Bay does

Typ0
01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Green Bay is publicly owned. I don't think shares enter into the equation.

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 08:46 PM
didn't the nfl make it illegal for the cities to own the teams now? as far as I know, green bay will be the only team ever owned by the city (fans)

The_Philster
01-24-2006, 08:49 PM
didn't the nfl make it illegal for the cities to own the teams now? as far as I know, green bay will be the only team ever owned by the city (fans)
yep...the Green Bay situation was grandfathered in..in place before the rule was written...these clowns didn't do their homework if they're serious...and they're scamming people otherwise

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 08:50 PM
on top of the fact that the city on the main page isn't even Buffalo :rolleyes:

Iehoshua
01-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Why can't a city own a team anymore? That seems a bit bogus.

Bill Brasky
01-24-2006, 08:58 PM

So the NFL owners can make money.

The_Philster
01-24-2006, 08:59 PM
no idea...but it's been in the rules for decades

YardRat
01-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Is that 'the' BAM listed as one of the three 'principles'?

RedEyE
01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
I bet the NFL would lose that case in a court of law.

The_Philster
01-24-2006, 09:10 PM
anyone rich enough to try to sue the NFL on that would likely have enough to own 50% or more of a team, though ;)

RedEyE
01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
anyone rich enough to try to sue the NFL on that would likely have enough to own 50% or more of a team, though ;)

Well that's not the city of Buffalo now, is it?

Mitchy moo
01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Wow, that's messed up.

Dr. Lecter
01-24-2006, 09:34 PM

I doubt it. Their league, their rules if you want to join.

ddaryl
01-25-2006, 06:13 AM
The only way to save the Bills is with a Green bay styled fan ownership program

I'd buy shares, and I do hope someone can put this type of a situation together.

the day it happens though, I'm in !!!

ddaryl
01-25-2006, 06:18 AM
no idea...but it's been in the rules for decades

if its been a rule for Decades then Green Bay could have never puleed it off.

Green Bay is owned by the fans, and it was a share based system, I personally do not see how the NFL could stop a group of owners from owning a team. Just because people who root for a team in a city and then purchase a controlling share, does not mean the city owns the team.

I don't think anyone is going to be sedning money to these guys any time soon, but the fact is somebody needs to get the ball rolling.

Typ0
01-25-2006, 06:22 AM
I think the NFL rules are simple. The franchises must be independantly owned.

helmetguy
01-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Prior to AFL-NFL merger, the rules of franchise ownership in the NFL were basically "understandings" among the NFL owners. In order that there was uniformity among the owners of the merged leagues, Rozelle came up with four basic provisions that eventually became ownership policy. Corporate ownership (by the likes of ford Motor Company and Anheuser-Busch) was seen as detrimental, since the franchise would be merely a subsidiary of the parent company. As such, the franchise could be expendable to the parent company (example: CBS once owned the New York Yankess during one of theleanest eras in that team's history).

The second provision (which is applicable to this thread) is the prohibition of public ownership of a franchise. The reasoning here is that the League would be prohibited from regulating who owns a franchise or those owners' activities (Sherman Ant-Trust). Additionally, as a publically held entity, a franchise would be subject to more disclosures through stockholder reports. Most importantly, stockholders of a football team may not all agree on what is most prudent for the success of that franchise. Look around this message board. If you think it took to long to decide between Jauron and Sherman, imagine the delays if it was left up to a bunch of stockholders. Taken to the field level, the same could be said for choice of QB, etc. Contract negotiations would be a fiasco, as well.

Bottom line: Forget owning stock in the Bills. Maybe Tom Golisano will buy them and keep them in Buffalo.

THATHURMANATOR
01-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I couldn't agree more about putting the stadium downtown...but I do think it should be a retractable dome so we can play all games but the superbowl outside and concerts can be held in the winter.
HSBC Arena is fine for concerts and we know the Superbowl will never come here!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I'LL REPEAT THIS AGAIN ERIE COUNTY WILL FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE BILLS IN WNY.