PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Seat From The Old Aud?

redeye5
01-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Lets all try to get behind this effort and see what we can do to make this happen....
http://www.wgrz.com/imagepool//images/03530131244_aud-skyshot.jpg
Would You Buy A Seat From The Old Aud?

Posted by: Stefan Mychajliw, Reporter
Created: 1/24/2006 10:00:57 PM

The City of Buffalo hopes the colors orange, blue, red, and gold might turn into some green: the color of money.

That’s because the Queen City is considering selling seats in the Old Aud, but only if the City will at most turn a profit, and at worst break even.

2 On Your Side’s Stefan Mychajliw: "Why doesn't the City sell these seats in the Aud for a profit?”

Buffalo Public Works Commissioner Joe Giambra: “I don't want to get into a position where we're actually losing money taking these seats and selling them to the general public. I have to make sure we at least break even in that kind of a proposition."

2 On Your Side took a tour of the Old Aud with Giambra. There’s no electricity. The heat is off. It’s absolutely freezing inside and extremely dark and damp. Damp because parts of the roof leaks.

And that’s a big problem when it comes to selling some of the roughly 16,000 seats inside.

The Lower Gold, Upper Gold, and Red seats are upholstered. Because of the leaking roof, there’s water damage on some of those seats.

The Blue seats are wood. But the problem with removing those has to do with armrests. Each seat shares one armrest. So for every Blue seat you remove, you have to throw one out because there’s no armrest.

The Orange seats are in the best shape. They’re plastic and could be sold “as is” if removed from the Aud.

Mychajliw: "How much does it cost to remove a seat here at the Aud?”

Giambra: “If I use my own crews, it's about 100-dollars to take out a seat. If I use a contractor to do it, the price almost doubles."

Mychajliw: “Let's say it does cost the City 100-bucks to remove one seat. Why not sell it for 200? Do you think 200-dollars is fair for an Aud seat?”

Giambra: “I wouldn't pay $200 for an Aud seat. But there might be somebody out there that does. And if there are enough people, then it's worthwhile doing. We're willing to find out what that interest is. And we're working on a plan now to try to gauge what the interest is, to see people are really interested in it. And if they're willing to cover our costs."

Mychajliw: "I came here as a kid. Many people in Western New York have strong ties to the Aud. Don't you think there is a huge interest in people who would want to buy these seats?”

Giambra: “I think there's an interest, I don't think I'd use the word 'huge.' I know a lot of people have sentimental ties to this place. I mean, I graduated from college on this floor, too. If there's an interest, we're willing to try to do it. But we have to see if the interest is there first."

2 On Your Side wanted to find out if there was any interest at all in buying seats in the Aud, and how much people are willing to pay for them.

In a scientific telephone poll conducted by Survey USA, most would not buy a seat from the Aud, and those who would, wouldn’t pay a pretty penny for them. Here are two of the questions conducted in the Survey USA poll:

“The City of Buffalo is preparing to gut the old Aud where the Sabres used to play. One option they’re considering is removing the old seats and putting them up for sale. What statement best describes you? One: I would buy a seat no matter how much it costs. Two: I would not buy a seat at any price. Or three: I might or might not, depends on the price.

4% Buy No Matter What The Cost
62% Would Not Buy
32% Would Depend On Price
2% Not Sure

Margin of Sampling Error for this question is +/- 4.3%

How much would you be willing to spend on a seat? Less than $50? Between $50 and $100? Between $100 and $200? Or more than that?

81% Less Than $50
15% $50 To $100
2% $100 To $200
1% Not Sure

Margin of Sampling Error for this question is +/- 6/1%

WHAT WOULD YOU PAY FOR AN AUD SEAT????
I'd pay 100 for an upper orange......REACTION.............

tat2dmike77
01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
100 bucks to take a seat out come on the guys has tobe kidding. Oh wait it's government work of course it will cost more then it should.

JD
01-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Id buy a blue.

fushetti
01-25-2006, 07:05 AM
I'd buy an orange seat for sure. It'd be the only section of seating i'd be interested in buying since at age 16 and younger, I could afford the 10 dollar "Family Orange" section pricing.

Earthquake Enyart
01-25-2006, 07:08 AM
We used to have seasons in the reds. :ee:

DMBcrew36
01-25-2006, 09:46 AM
It costs $100 when Giambra has his BUDDIES remove the seats. You gotta remember, everything that Giambra does, he has to put money in his friends pockets.

doomsdayvirus
01-25-2006, 10:22 AM
how much would they charge me to go in, pick out a seat, and remove it myself?

JD
01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
THAT is a smart idea.... 15 dollar admission just to walk around the aud and take pictures..... and you can pick a seat, take it out your self and bring it by the cashier at the front to ring it up :lol:

JD
01-25-2006, 05:23 PM
But really, your idea.. plus my expanded version should be seriously looked into.

Sorta like cutting down a xmas tree and paying for it on the way out :D

Myers57
01-25-2006, 06:05 PM
lol its not the same giambra...

chernobylwraiths
01-25-2006, 06:29 PM
$100 to take out each seat has got to be one of the biggest whoppers Giambra has told. I am ashamed to have voted for him the first time. I didn't even know he was running again.

redeye5
01-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Exactly...let me bring in my own tools and maybe they could have a 2 seat limit per person...plus the city could actually make $$$ from this instead of losing $$$ paying 100 bucks to a city worker to remove each seat....