PDA

View Full Version : Does Willis stay? and what kind of team do we want?

ICE74129
01-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I keep hearing 'smash mouth'. There is no such thing. You must have BALANCE Daniel San to succeed in the NFL.

What I personally would like to see is a more all around back in Buffalo. Someone about oh...220lbs tops that can be a recieving threat as much as a running threat.

I'd like to be able to run the ball much more effective but at the same time pass equally as well. I like the idea of the WCO but not the WCO. I feel, outside of the OL, the #1 thing we lack is a great TE. Honestly, I wish we had a great TE over great WR's. If you don't coach offense you dont' know how important a great TE is. Esp for a young QB. A great pass catching TE that can also effectively block is devistating to a Defense. Remember the KGun was named after Keith McKellar, not Jim Kelly.

Listening to Jim postgame this year he harped on that fact all year. I agree with him that we don't have a true #1 TE on this roster. I know Campbell is a sentimental favorite with fans, but he is a clear backup TE/ #2 TE in the ACE formations. As for Everett, I didn't like him at Miami and hated the pick. Another TE from 'Tha U'. I would rather have a Dallas Clark, Alge Crumpler type guy. I for one hope Marv and DJ understand this and make getting a Clear cut, impact TE a priority this offseason.

I would like to get back to a 3 wide, 1 TE, 1 Back base formation. I feel teams are a greater threat that way. Maybe keep campbell and alternate with the ACE formation as well. Ball control in the form of run or pass with the ability to strike deeply and quickly thrown in.

Now to Willis. I don't like the kid. To me he is another 'Tha U' punk. he quit this season. I don't care how bad we are doing, you don't quit, period! He just doesn't have the qualities that Marv said he was looking for. I don't feel he fits into the system I outlined either. But alas I bet he is here and DJ and Marv will make all the excuses in the world in an attempt to 'rehab' him. I feel it is a waste of time and he was a great waste of a draft pick that could have went and helped fix the OL.

THATHURMANATOR
01-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I hear what you are saying but I think that we should stick with Willis since we have more glaring needs.

ICE74129
01-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I hear what you are saying but I think that we should stick with Willis since we have more glaring needs.

Will we come draft day? And what can we trade him for?

OpIv37
01-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Ice, sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I think you're on crack. This one is the latter.

I don't like Willis' "U" attitude either, but the kid showed in 04 that he can play. We'd also have a hard time finding someone who could replace him. The draft pick was definitely a gamble, but all draft picks are. Look at Mike Williams- using that pick on an OL would not guarantee any more success. After the season he had, Willis' value isn't very high and it's not like it's going to go down much. Right now he's more valuable to us than he is for someone else. And this team has so many holes- I think it would be stupid to add the need for an RB by getting rid of Willis (Shaud Williams can't start in the NFL)

ICE74129
01-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Ice, sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I think you're on crack. This one is the latter.

I don't like Willis' "U" attitude either, but the kid showed in 04 that he can play. We'd also have a hard time finding someone who could replace him. The draft pick was definitely a gamble, but all draft picks are. Look at Mike Williams- using that pick on an OL would not guarantee any more success. After the season he had, Willis' value isn't very high and it's not like it's going to go down much. Right now he's more valuable to us than he is for someone else. And this team has so many holes- I think it would be stupid to add the need for an RB by getting rid of Willis (Shaud Williams can't start in the NFL)

I feel a good back can be a GREAT back behind a damn good OL and with a good OC calling the plays. I have never felt (outside of Barry Sanders) any back is worth 1st round money or picks. Look at what Denver did with T Davis a 5th or 6th round pick! look what they do now. Tatum Bell was a good back at OK State, but not a GREAT back, but look at him in denver.

If we can get a high 2nd or even a low first for Willis I take it. I then get a solid vet off of FA that will play cheap and draft a guy in the 2nd to let develop.

OpIv37
01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I feel a good back can be a GREAT back behind a damn good OL and with a good OC calling the plays. I have never felt (outside of Barry Sanders) any back is worth 1st round money or picks. Look at what Denver did with T Davis a 5th or 6th round pick! look what they do now. Tatum Bell was a good back at OK State, but not a GREAT back, but look at him in denver.

If we can get a high 2nd or even a low first for Willis I take it. I then get a solid vet off of FA that will play cheap and draft a guy in the 2nd to let develop.

interesting thought but we'd have to pick up 3 OL in order to make it work.

Kerr
01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I do think jp needs a good TE, but it's too early to judge Everett since he didn't to play last season at all. I don't think the new regime will give up on so easily.

I don't like the fact that Willis quit on the team and kept emphasizing on his stats. You're right, he doesn't fit Marv's standards of high character players, but unfortunately he might be given another chance. There aren't any young guys available in FA that come close to Willis' talent. If you're looking for a few veterans though, Ahman Green and Jamal Lewis as short term solutions, then they would be available. Lewis has a red flag in his background though because he's been to prison. I hear Jacksonville is looking for a back to replace Fred Taylor. Willis would be good trade bait. I'm curious in seeing more of Lional Gates. He might be something special.

THATHURMANATOR
01-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Willis is better right now than Lewis or Green.

justasportsfan
01-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Willis' attitude resembles one of the bills' great rbs , Thurman Thomas. Thurman however respected Marv and Co. Almost every player on this team barely showed on the field that Mularkey had their respect and gave up on his "system". Willis is a baller. With the right coach who can put his head in the right place, he will be one of the leagues best. Other than Moorman, no other player showed up on a consistent basis for Malarkey.

Maybe this is why Marv hired Jauron. Players supposedly respected the guy . We were the bickering Bills before Marv came just like we were last year.

THATHURMANATOR
01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
We were the bickering Bill's under Marv's Tenure.

justasportsfan
01-25-2006, 10:33 AM
We were the bickering Bill's under Marv's Tenure.Not on the field. We were the bickering bills both on and off the field last year.

Kerr
01-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Willis is better right now than Lewis or Green.

Of course, but if he were to be traded, they'd be good short term solutions. They still have some gas left in the tank.

ICE74129
01-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Willis' attitude resembles one of the bills' great rbs , Thurman Thomas. Thurman however respected Marv and Co. Almost every player on this team barely showed on the field that Mularkey had their respect and gave up on his "system". Willis is a baller. With the right coach who can put his head in the right place, he will be one of the leagues best. Other than Moorman, no other player showed up on a consistent basis for Malarkey.

Maybe this is why Marv hired Jauron. Players supposedly respected the guy . We were the bickering Bills before Marv came just like we were last year.

I disagree for one reason. TT was self motivated to succeed. There was NO QUIT in him. We saw willis' true character this year. He was only worried about him and his stats and when things got tough, he quit. TT never quit. He *****ed because he wanted to WIN. It wasn't about the stats, but about winning.

I can put up with a TT, not a willis.

ICE74129
01-25-2006, 10:51 AM
interesting thought but we'd have to pick up 3 OL in order to make it work.

At least two and a good TE. Again add those three moves and good playcalling and we can go with a 2nd round pick. Personally I want to see what Gates can do.

Billsrock4life
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
stick with willis...upgrade the OL and get a explosive TE

OpIv37
01-25-2006, 10:59 AM
At least two and a good TE. Again add those three moves and good playcalling and we can go with a 2nd round pick. Personally I want to see what Gates can do.

hopefully Everett can be that explosive TE- it would be nice to have a good one in Buffalo for once. Gates is interesting, but if he's on the field it means we're at least 3-deep on the RB depth chart and that's not a good sign.

ICE74129
01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
stick with willis...upgrade the OL and get a explosive TE

Willis is not that good of a back. he is the most over hyped guy up until now with Reggie Bush. Bush on the other hand has what the greats have....natural knee bend.

See that is the one thing I look for in true athletes. Natural kneebend. (QB being the exception). Those with that aspect ALWAYS are better athletes. More speed, more power, can change directions and are hurt less often. I went back and looked at Willis' sr year. He didn't have it then. He is not a natural knee bender. He has very little cutback abilities. He is the Antoine Smith type. upright runner that needs big holes to succeed. Whereas a guy like Shawn Alexander, is a natural kneebender and at his size has GREAT cutback abilities.

ICE74129
01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
hopefully Everett can be that explosive TE- it would be nice to have a good one in Buffalo for once. Gates is interesting, but if he's on the field it means we're at least 3-deep on the RB depth chart and that's not a good sign.

I personally think he is much better than Shawd Williams and some at camp said better than Willis. No I am not kidding. Reports out of camp said he looked better than willis but had no chance to start because of willis draft position, hype and name.

I know I would like to see him get a fair shot in camp. If we are going to have open competition, then let him have = reps with the first team and I bet he can beat willis out. but we wont' see it and we both know it.

mysticsoto
01-25-2006, 11:09 AM
I personally think he is much better than Shawd Williams and some at camp said better than Willis. No I am not kidding. Reports out of camp said he looked better than willis but had no chance to start because of willis draft position, hype and name.

I know I would like to see him get a fair shot in camp. If we are going to have open competition, then let him have = reps with the first team and I bet he can beat willis out. but we wont' see it and we both know it.

I was at camp a great deal last year, and I can tell you that Gates is NOT better than Willis (at running atleast). He is a step behind him and not as strong. Willis does need to improve his blocking...SIGNIFICANTLY, but other than that, I'd be more interested in giving him an O-line that can actually make holes for him and then seeing what he can do. Everything he did this past season was on his own, b'cse the Oline was absolute crap the entire year - with some notable exceptions. Willis still ended up with decent numbers despite that. Upgrade the line significantly, and we'll see a whole different offense from McGahee AND from JP and the receivers!!! Just look at the Houston game to see what JP can do when he is given time and not scrambling for his life!