• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Clump: Salary Cap Implications of Moulds/M Williams/Clements

According to your other thread- the Bills are $6 million UNDER the projected cap. Questions:

1. Nate Clements is an FA, so this means that no money for his salary is included in that number?
    2. How much do the Bills save by cutting Moulds, and what is the dead cap?
    3. Same question as above for Mike Williams?
    4. Can the dead cap be avoided by restructuring Moulds and/or Williams, or will part of their salaries still create dead cap based on their current contracts?

Thanks-
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Clump: Salary Cap Implications of Moulds/M Williams/Clements

I can say now that clements doesn't have a cap number as of this offseason. so here is the kicker, we have about 6.5 mill right? To franchise and keep him is an immediate 5.5 mill hit. So we are left with about 1 million going into free agency.

Not good folks.

Comment

• djjimkelly
      • Apr 2003

i can answer question 4 for u a restructure you will only push back money into later years. i think the question u have to ask. any money that has been paid out in bonus already thats done. but can be spread into extra years. if a restructure is done before a roster bonus is due like i believe clump has big mike getting that can be cancelled. if a new deal is made. and of course current salary can always change. so dead cap will only take place if someone is released while still have part of the original signing bonus that is being ammortized on the books

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Op,
        This was in the history - an article that I wrote up about a month ago: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...ghlight=salary

Of course, this was written thinking that Mularkey and TD might still be there...so some things may no longer apply in terms of what I thought might happen...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what it would take to get Steve Hutchinson and Charles LeBentley here. I think Hutchinson is making around $1.8 Million and Bentley is very underpaid at $455k.

Looking at Clump's (you're awesome dude) 2006 salary cap page: (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archi...y_cap_page.php)
        I have to believe that the following changes will take place.

Changes due to salary cap:

Sam Adams - doesn't get along with mgmt well and is getting paid higher than I'm sure the FO would like. More signs that we will likely draft Haloti Ngata in the 1st rd. $2 mil saved if we cut him - only $375k dead cap.

Bennie anderson - only $900k saved if we cut him - $1 mil dead cap...if only he had the fire to play his position, he would probably be good. If we have to get Hutchinson to replace him and pay him...$2.5-3 Million plus the $1 million dead cap, LG becomes an expensive position in 2006...

Gandy and Peters I thought did well considering that Tackle was supposed to be our weakest position. Instead, it turned out to be the middle (guards) more than anything. I would swap Gandy & Peters and have Peters play LT, Gandy RT. Peters is good at pass blocking and you want your blind side protected better than anything when pass blocking. Gandy should also have an easier time playing RT.

Chris Villarial is set to make $3.2 Mil next year. If we cut him, we have a $1.78 Mil cap savings and a $1.43 Mil cap hit. Personally, I prefer to let Duke Preston develop here and get LeCharles Bentley for...$3 million-ish, maybe. But if not, then we need someone to fill in here. Given that getting rid of Bennie might be an expensive option, maybe we keep Bennie and get rid of Villarial??? Tough decisions the FO is going to have to make - and possibly a new GM.

Mike Williams we've talked about ad-naseum. Cut him and get a cap savings of $4.9 mil even though we have another $4.9 mil of dead cap space this year, and also dead cap space next year. CUT HIM!!!

Eric Moulds is set to make $10.8 million next year. If we cut him we save $5.5 mil and take a $5.3 mil cap hit. Or alternatively, he could be reworked. However, if I'm Eric, I prefer to play the field. Someone will definitely pay him in the $6-8 mil range. If he reworks with us, no doubt they won't accept anything more that $4-5 mil range.

Jeff Posey is set to make $2.2 mil next year. If we cut him, we stand to save $1.75 mil with only a $437k cap hit. Posey hasn't done much anyway, and with Crowell stepping up and hopefully TKO coming back, Posey will be gone.

Milloy stands to make $4 mil next year. If we were to cut him, we'd save $2.75 mil in cap and take a cap hit of $1.25 mil. Not bad, except that we have no one to replace him with. Unlikely to happen unless we can bring in a good FA with alot of upside.

Mark Campbell could be gone also. He is set to make $1.5 mil and while that is not alot, we pay Tim Euhus < $500k. Does Mark do enough to be worth the extra million? Does Everett look good in his comeback? All in all, I don't think Campbell is good enough and TEs are a dime a dozen. He will probably be cut saving us $1.3 mil on the cap and we take a small $237k cap hit.

And these are FAs that will probably not be re-signed:

Trey Teague - was making $3.625 mil (we can definitely offer that to Bentley then)
        Greg Jerman - $455k - he was cheap, but so was his play. He's a waste of a roster spot.

We probably can afford NC if we want to, the question is...where do we draw the line. No doubt they've already made some offers to Nate at the beginning of the year when his agent was in town. Clearly, they didn't take it and Nate is looking for a big payday. The most logical solution will be to franchise him and either pay him an average of the best 5, or the best option, trade him to someone who is in desperate need of a decent CB. People like paying alot of money for CBs nowadays, so it probably won't be hard for the Bills to find a buyer.

Those are some of the changes I see. The other big change is TD being let go, but MM being kept. That's pretty much what I'm predicting will happen. In all honesty, I know MM has made some huge mistakes. But I'd like to see what he could do with a real Oline. I'd also like to see what Willis can do behind a real Oline. There seems to be a recurring theme in what I want next year...doesn't it?

Comment

• tonyc37
          • Jan 2006

I agree with most of what you said.Clements is not worth 5.5 mill it would take to franchise.Moulds is a cancer not as bad as T.O.,but still a cancer time to rid oursekves of him.If you don't throw 7-8 balls or more a game to him he *****es.Not in the the top 10 recievers in the league cut him loose and move on.Remember he didn't like Sheppard,Gilbride was get the first and in the second Eric said the offense was to complicated.This year went over MM's head twice.Once to TD to ***** about Losman and once to wilson to ***** about MM.This guys no leader .Leaders are not selfish,they don't put their needs ahead of whats best for the team.What was best for this team this year was to play Losman no how much he struggled.I have coach at many levels of football including Minor league and I can tell you every time you move up a level it takes time for the speed of the game to slow down for the QB.The only way this happens is if hes playing.He can't experience it from the sidelines.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by OpIv37
            According to your other thread- the Bills are $6 million UNDER the projected cap. Questions:
            1. Nate Clements is an FA, so this means that no money for his salary is included in that number?
            2. How much do the Bills save by cutting Moulds, and what is the dead cap?
            3. Same question as above for Mike Williams?
            4. Can the dead cap be avoided by restructuring Moulds and/or Williams, or will part of their salaries still create dead cap based on their current contracts?
            Thanks-
            1) Clements does not count on 2006 cap until tendered as franchise player or signed to a new deal

2-3) please see salary cap forum for detailed info about both

4) I will get back to you on this one......

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Howard Simon,Dec 2 2005
              In terms of salary cap moves to clear space, if the Bills cut Williams before June 1st, they would reportedly save 3.5 million dollars. Releasing Moulds would clear out about 5.7 million dollars of cap room. It appears Sam Adams may be playing his last season as a Bill. If so, the team would save around 2.9 million by letting him go.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

See we are actually in a pickle. 6.5 available and we have to have more room by the first day of FA. WE MUST FRANCHISE CLEMENTS! Even if it is to trade him. I don't want this clown going up to NE or the Jets or someone else in the AFCE.

Get SOMETHING for the kid. Hell trade him to Tenn for their 2nd round pick or something, I don't care. Just don't let him walk.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Howard Simon used my numbers but failed to give credit where credit is due

Comment

• BadgerVid
                    • May 2005

Clump....

I have a question about how the so far uncapped '07 year affects new contracts signed this year.

Without a CBA established for '07 and beyond yet, do signing bonuses paid this year count 100% against the '06 cap or is it still possible to amortize them although there is no guarantee of a cap in the later years of the contract?

Comment

• clumping platelets

Amortization is 4 yrs (2006-2009)

Comment

• eyedog
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                        See we are actually in a pickle. 6.5 available and we have to have more room by the first day of FA. WE MUST FRANCHISE CLEMENTS! Even if it is to trade him. I don't want this clown going up to NE or the Jets or someone else in the AFCE.

Get SOMETHING for the kid. Hell trade him to Tenn for their 2nd round pick or something, I don't care. Just don't let him walk.
                        Damn right. I want to keep him if possible but I sure as hell don't want him ending up in New england. And New England would definitely be a possibility. They need a corner badly and would be a good fit. He's young, can play, the team is a contender, and Belichik knows him well. If he ends up on the market, BB may just give him the money and the Bills would be screwing the pooch again.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129

Hell yes!! Franchise and trade... I don't care if we only get a 3rd rounder.

Comment

Working...
                          X