PDA

View Full Version : Cotrell or Bates?

Kerr
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
The consensus is that the final two worthy candidates left to coordinate the defense are cotrell and bates. Who do you think has the best chance of landing here, honestly?

From what i've heard, bates is looking for top coordinator money. Now the questions is, will Ralph dish out extra cash for his services??

Second, Cotrell has been here before and i'm sure wouldn't mind coming back if he got the call. Some think that he's useless to us because it would mean we would have to run a 3-4 scheme. That's not true since he ran a 4-3 with the Vikings and had some use of it with the Jets as well for a short time. We don't have the personnel for a 3-4, which is why Capers wasn't hired.

Either one of these guys would be a good pickup. I just hope Marv and DJ continue the good work and pickup another coordinator with experience, not some first timing D-coordinator. What we need is an experienced defensive coordinator.

THATHURMANATOR
01-25-2006, 10:12 PM
I would be very happy with either!

G. Host
01-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Ted called Ralph a racist when he (they) turned him down as head coach. He is not coming back to Buffalo.

tat2dmike77
01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd be happy with both.

But i'm leaning more towards Bates then cotrell.

The_Philster
01-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Ted called Ralph a racist when he (they) turned him down as head coach. He is not coming back to Buffalo.
I've never heard that before...and it wouldn't make any sense considering Ralph wasn't the one who passed him up for the job..it was TD

Anyway, I'd prefer Cottrell..providing Spikes comes back healthy, I think we'd have the personnel to fit a 3-4 quicker than we would a 4-3...a run stuffer at DT and some depth at LB

Mahdi
01-26-2006, 06:47 AM
I've never heard that before...and it wouldn't make any sense considering Ralph wasn't the one who passed him up for the job..it was TD

Anyway, I'd prefer Cottrell..providing Spikes comes back healthy, I think we'd have the personnel to fit a 3-4 quicker than we would a 4-3...a run stuffer at DT and some depth at LB
What would we do with Schobel and Kelsay. They are not capable of playing DE in a 3-4. And are too slow for OLB in a 3-4 as well. We are one DT away from a good 4-3. Add one DE to upgrade Kelsay and we are even better.

ICE74129
01-26-2006, 06:55 AM

Yep. That would just about kill a return huh? :roflmao:

The_Philster
01-26-2006, 03:09 PM
What would we do with Schobel and Kelsay. They are not capable of playing DE in a 3-4. And are too slow for OLB in a 3-4 as well. We are one DT away from a good 4-3. Add one DE to upgrade Kelsay and we are even better.
Have we tried playing them at it? Don't give me the too small BS, either because Smith and Hansen weren't 300-pounders. Besides, maybe Bannan would fit in the rotation at LDE. As far as the OLBs, Posey has already played SOLB in Houston and put up decent numbers doing so. And I don't see a reason Crowell couldn't do a good job at WOLB.

OpIv37
01-26-2006, 03:32 PM
I would prefer Bates but I would not complain if we got Cotrell. Either one would be an excellent, experienced addition.

Maybe Ralph will hire Cotrell to prove he's not a racist.

The_Philster
01-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I still wonder where that racist stuff came from...I don't remember it ever getting mentioned back then

Don't Panic
01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm liking Bates... I think he has a better resume than Cotrell. Not a knock on Cotrell, just that Bates is a bit nore accomplished. What if Bates turns us down? Has anyone heard of any other possibilites?

G. Host
01-26-2006, 06:05 PM

I would prefer Bates but I would not complain if we got Cotrell. Either one would be an excellent, experienced addition.

Maybe Ralph will hire Cotrell to prove he's not a racist.

I listen to a radio segment when Ted Cotrell did not get the job for Bills and he said he was talking about job interview with Ralph Wilson and Tom Donahoe and then he said "they" were racists and did not give him a fair chance.

Maybe Ralph will mellow and forgive the comment but it was a very blunt comment by Ted.