• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Bills want Bates: Bates offered the the DC job

From John Clayton's Blog:

Bates considers offer from Bills: The Bills have offered former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates their defensive coordinator job. He is going to take Wednesday night to think about it, but the Bills have the last defensive coordinator job available. The Texans are expected to hire Frank Bush and Richard Smith as co-defensive coordinators, and once that deal is done, the Bills are the last chance for a coach to land a defensive coordinator job. For the moment, Bates' decision is whether to take the Bills offer or sit out the season under the Packers paycheck.

Do it Bates! Do it!

Extra-
    Bills coach Dick Jauron got a later start than the Jets' Eric Mangini, but he's jumped to a significant lead in assembling his staff. Jauron beat out the Jets for former Rams offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. The Bills made a great hire along their defensive line by getting Bill Kollar of the Rams. Those two moves show the advantage of having an established, longtime head coach vs. a young 34-year-old head coach. Jauron has a long history in the NFL and a great reputation for assistants. Mangini is a bright mind, but he doesn't have a long background of working with different coaches. It will be interesting to see how Mangini puts his staff together. Their seems to be mutual interest with the Dallas Cowboys in former Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, so it will be interesting to see if Mangini can pull Palmer away from Bill Parcells.
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills want Bates: Bates offered the the DC job, Bates pondering the offer.

Woo Hoo!!!!

I hope John Clayton isn't lying through his teeth again.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
      Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
      • Dec 2005

Re: Bills want Bates: Bates offered the the DC job

See there was a reason for the hiring of DICK!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• vicmantak
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by tat2dmike77
        See there was a reason for the hiring of DICK!!!!!!!!!!
        Exactly!
        It's incredible but Bills are suddenly changing direction 360 grades!

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
        - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• bernielivsey_1
          • Jul 2003

Now if we can just hire Sherman as Assistant Head Coach then everything will be perfect. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee
          In Marv We Trust
          The Past Is Now The Future

Comment

• bernielivsey_1
            • Jul 2003

WoW 500 posts....only took me 3 years. That must be a record.
            In Marv We Trust
            The Past Is Now The Future

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

If the Bills get Bates, they might possibly have one of the best coaching staffs in the league, although Washington is looking pretty darn good too. The other advantage is that Bates has a good pass defense scheme which he executed with average corners. Mckenzie and Caroll. That means Clements can go.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Jan 2004

[I]Do it Bates! Do it!

Comment

• Nublar7
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                  If the Bills get Bates, they might possibly have one of the best coaching staffs in the league, although Washington is looking pretty darn good too. The other advantage is that Bates has a good pass defense scheme which he executed with average corners. Mckenzie and Caroll. That means Clements can go.
                  Really? Even if Bates does sign with Buffalo, the Bills don't even have the best coaching staff in the AFC East. How can they have the best staff when two teams in their division(Patriots, Dolphins) have a better staff? Jauron, Fairchild and Bates are not that scary. Bates would actually be your best coach by far. Fairchild is good, but Jauron really isn't that good.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

How the hell do the Dolphins have a better staff? Because they have Mike Mularkey? Give me a break. He's a huge step back from Scott Linehan.

Comment

• Nublar7
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Carlton Bailey
                      How the hell do the Dolphins have a better staff? Because they have Mike Mularkey? Give me a break. He's a huge step back from Scott Linehan.
                      Saban, Houck, Capers, Mularkey..... Do I need to go on? Plus, we have Randy Mueller as our GM, you guys have 80 year old Marv Levy.

I can't even believe you guys actually think the coaches you are getting are better then what Miami has. Have the people of Buffalo truely lost their minds? lol

Comment

• lordofgun
                        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

I used to respect Saban...until he hired Mularkey. Now I like him more, but respect him less.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nublar7
                          Really? Even if Bates does sign with Buffalo, the Bills don't even have the best coaching staff in the AFC East. How can they have the best staff when two teams in their division(Patriots, Dolphins) have a better staff? Jauron, Fairchild and Bates are not that scary. Bates would actually be your best coach by far. Fairchild is good, but Jauron really isn't that good.
                          Having a good coaching staff is not necessarily predicated upon having three former head coaches on one staff. Its about having the proper miix of coaches and personalities. Jauron is a no non-sense type of guy the demands the respect of his players, and his role is not to coach all facets of the game but to manage. I believe he will fulfill this role well. That being said, we add to that Fairchild who brings a dynamic passing attack, which could open things up for Willis in a big way. Then you add to that a DC who can make a top 10 D out of the Packers who had hardly any players on D and you have a well rounded staff, where everyone has their role and no butting heads. This is why I beleive we will have one of the top coaching staffs in the league.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                            Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                            • Mar 2004

Ha! This is great news. Looks like assistants do wanna come to Buffalo afterall. So much for all the trolls who keep saying the rest of the front offices and coaches in the NFL are laughing at Buffalo.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                            "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                              [i]Do it Bates! Do it!
                              That pic doesn't really look like bates??

Comment

Working...
                              X