PDA

View Full Version : If we get Cotrell or Bates...

OpIv37
01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
... I'll be satisfied with the coaching staff (Bates is my preference but Cottrell is a close second). They're both proven DC's and Fairchild is experienced and proved he knew what he was doing in St. Louis. We already have McNally, Wyche and April, and we know what they're capable of.

I still have some concerns about Jauron because of his losing record, but there are three things that make me feel a little better:

1. With Cottrell or Bates, he'll have one of the best staffs in the NFL
2. He has prior HC experience, which is something the previous two massive head trauma patients we called HC's lacked.
3. The players seem to respect him and should be more motivated (see Chris Villarial's quotes).

The team has plenty of on-the-field holes that need to be filled, but it's too early for that. Right now they're doing what they can to fix things, and I think they're doing a decent job.

tat2dmike77
01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Totally agree with you.

The staff is doing everything they can to fill in the holes that are there. The OC position looks a heck of a lot better then it has in the past 5 seasons already.

When it comes to a DC i feel that either Cotrell ot Bates will be a fine addition to the staff. With thier experience plus the knowledge of DJ the D will be back in buffalo.

As far as adding the rigt players in buffalo i think that's an area in whichthe bills will do just fine in. Most of the articles i have read about DJ are positive in the sense that players love to play for him and also respect him.

But we are so used to yard sale shopping for players we will have to wait and see. Overall the new staff has done a fin job IMO.

OpIv37
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
But we are so used to yard sale shopping for players we will have to wait and see. .

This is where Marv becomes a big question mark. One one hand, I have no doubt in his ability to judge talent as well as anyone in the league, so I'm sure he can find some great additions to the team. On the other hand, he's inexperienced as a GM and we're tight on cap space, so he might not know all the tricks they use to squeeze players under the cap (restructures, escalating contracts, signing bonuses etc).

So, time will tell, and regardless of what they do I think we're in for a rough season. But they're taking steps in the right direction and that's all we can ask for the short-term.

tat2dmike77
01-26-2006, 01:09 PM
So, time will tell, and regardless of what they do I think we're in for a rough season. But they're taking steps in the right direction and that's all we can ask for the short-term.

It's like the old army saying that we would say when we were in training.

There are three phases to anything Crawl Walk and Run Phase

I think right now marv is in his crawl stage but he needs to get to that walk stage quick.

But with the tricks to signing new players i think Modark will help out with that if Marv is willing to listen. But your Right OP time will only tell we can sit here and speculate all night. And as much as i would love to i have class tonight UGH!

OpIv37
01-26-2006, 01:12 PM
It's like the old army saying that we would say when we were in training.

There are three phases to anything Crawl Walk and Run Phase

I think right now marv is in his crawl stage but he needs to get to that walk stage quick.

But with the tricks to signing new players i think Modark will help out with that if Marv is willing to listen. But your Right OP time will only tell we can sit here and speculate all night. And as much as i would love to i have class tonight UGH!

I feel your pain- I have classes on tuesdays. Fortunately it's the last one I need for my degree.

And good point about Modrak- I forgot he's still there to help out, and I'm sure he knows all the tricks by now.

RedEyE
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't be satisfied with Cottrell. I don't like his system and quite frankly he hasn't done squat in a while.

Too inconsitant. I did some research on ol' Ted, and even when he was with the monster Bills of old, some seasons his team would only allow 250 pts, when the very next season they're giving up over 350. The inconsistancy is baffling. Granted, his numbers don't fluctuate like Gray, but still.

tat2dmike77
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I feel your pain- I have classes on tuesdays. Fortunately it's the last one I need for my degree.

I have 4 more quarters to go for my associates then i'm kind of torn where to go for my bach. I was thinking about moving back to buffalo and attending UB Buisness school or staying here at OSU but i dunno OSU is so damn expensive.

Dont drink the water
01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
This is where Marv becomes a big question mark. One one hand, I have no doubt in his ability to judge talent as well as anyone in the league, so I'm sure he can find some great additions to the team. On the other hand, he's inexperienced as a GM and we're tight on cap space, so he might not know all the tricks they use to squeeze players under the cap (restructures, escalating contracts, signing bonuses etc).

The same people who have been doing the cap last few years are still in place. Donahoe was part of it but only part of it.