PDA

View Full Version : One concern: scouting staff

Dont drink the water
01-26-2006, 03:47 PM
When Wade left most of his scouting staff left that year or following year to be replaced by Donahoe's boys. While Tom M. will be heading scouting, are the Bills going to have to rebuild the entire scouting department? Remember the scout who recommended Travis Henry and was given a line of bull by Tennessee coaches and never found out he was given a lot of aid in college because he was not able to function accademically?

Buffalo for a long time had a great scouting department which found gems in small schools and I want the Bills to return to that level.

The_Philster
01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
A lot of scouts still remain from the Butler days

Michael82
01-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Buffalo for a long time had a great scouting department which found gems in small schools and I want the Bills to return to that level.

Umm, we have done a good job finding gems lately...especially in the Undrafted FA market.

The_Philster
01-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Umm, we have done a good job finding gems lately...especially in the Undrafted FA market.
Rashad Baker...Jason Peters..Shaud Williams

Turf
01-26-2006, 07:24 PM
I can't believe we think we have a 2nd string RB in Shaud Williams. I doubt this guy will play a down in the NFL after we cut him.

Michael82
01-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Rashad Baker...Jason Peters..Shaud Williams
Jabari Greer.... Liam Ezekiel.... Jim Leonhard too

mysticsoto
01-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I can't believe we think we have a 2nd string RB in Shaud Williams. I doubt this guy will play a down in the NFL after we cut him.

I think you are excessively harsh on Shaud. He has been a good #2 back and even pumped lots of iron - as was recommeneded to him by his coaches to try and get better. Shaud is faster than McGahee, and up to now...more elusive. He can also block an order of magnitude better than McGahee. I see no reason to criticize him any. His inability to get into the backfield often is for the same reason that has plagued Willis - a bad Oline!!!

LifetimeBillsFan
01-27-2006, 09:12 AM
And don't forget the fact that the Bills also had their practice squad several times over the last couple of years by other NFL teams that took players that the Bills had signed as UFAs from smaller colleges.

FB Luke Lawton was one who was taken last year, and I think there were three this season, including Evan Oglesby, who ended up starting at CB for the Ravens at the end of the season. That should tell you that the Bills scouts are finding guys at the lower levels of the college game that other teams feel have the talent to play in the NFL.

I don't think that scouting was the problem--drafting and developing the young talent that they had on the roster was.

The one change that I can foresee with the new regime might be a greater emphasis on drafting players who are not as well known on draft day. If you think about it, there really weren't too many Bills fans who knew very much about guys like Andre Reed, Keith McKellar, Don Beebe or Phil Hansen when the Bills drafted them. When Levy was HC the Bills had a lot of players on their roster, including a number of starters, who were relative unknowns coming out of college. How many Bills fans got excited when the Bills picked up Steve Tasker and John Davis as free agents or even knew who Mark Kelso and Shulz even were? I think that we should all be prepared to see the Bills drafting and bringing in players like that again with Marv overseeing their drafts now.