PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl notes...and my pick for the second rd for the bills

Bmax
01-27-2006, 01:22 AM
Well it's my favorite time of the year The NFL Draft...Just a few thoughts before the game...

Stovall-WR- ND is a beast...If he can run a 4.5 40 he will be a early second late 1st rd pick....

Jay cutler is rising up boards ....some guys like him over leinart....

Marcus Mcneil is a bust waiting to happen-poor tech...dropping on some boards..Bills stay away.....
Weigh-In Notes:

Monday Practice Notes: First and foremost it’s important to point out that McNeill did show up, albeit late. His technique overall was putrid, and the coaching staff noticed as they did try to coach him up. McNeill was bending at the waist, playing with too wide of a base, and generally played with too much of his weight forward. At times he was pushed around by players not of his caliber.
Tuesday Practice Notes: Had the highlight block of the day as he cleaned Alabama DE, Mark Anderson, clean off his feet on a down block. Showed he has good lateral quickness. The question of technique is consistently the problem. Bent at the wait often, base was too wide, and missed his target on the punch too often.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Powerful but continues to bend at the waist. Coached up to get more width on his deep set. Today was McNeill best performance of the week to date. He showed some power, a nice punch, and very nice lateral quickness. It appears to look like he is taking to some of the coaching. Now tomorrow will be the key to see if he can put it all together for once.
Thursday Practice Notes:
Analysis:

TYE HILL-CB CLEMSOM-5-9-185 Looks great at cb...

Tye Hill DB Clemson 5092 183 9 32 1/2
Weigh-In Notes: Stout and well built.

Monday Practice Notes: Looked like the fasted DB on the field today. Great closing and recovery speed. Had a slip-up early in the session but really came on strong late in the afternoon, defending a number of passes.
Tuesday Practice Notes: Stays tight on his man and finishes plays. Had a lot of hand contact with receivers but did not pull or hinder their progress. Movements were fluid and technically precise.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Changes direction quickly and is in position to make plays. Intercepted one pass during the session and just missed another pick. Blanketed the receivers most of the day.
Thursday Practice Notes: Fundamentally very impressive. Quick footed, smooth in his hips and has a definite burst of speed.
Analysis: The best cornerback to show up in Mobile. Had a strong week of practice. Was testy about some receivers who were trying to spin him around with arm hooks and had some hand contact down the field. Adjusted well through the week.

WILLIAMS-WR -OREGON- wow great hands..needs more muscle. only 188-lbs

Mathias Kiwanuka-longer a pick for me and the bills at 8.. the brick has tossed him around all week...plus may have injured his shoulder in practice today...

Mathias Kiwanuka DL Boston College 6052 262 10 1/8 35 1/8
Weigh-In Notes: Well built upper body.

Monday Practice Notes: Struggled most of the day. Did not beat a single block in pass protection drills. Looked better against the run. Coaches were screaming at him in scrimmage to "get off the ball quickly".
Tuesday Practice Notes: Came down the line nice and flat and put himself in position to make some plays in the running game. Still struggled in the pass rush displaying a lack of moves. His main concern in the pass rush would be to work on his counters as he displays none.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Rushed the passer out of a two point stance during one-on-one drills. Has not worked or shown any pass rush moves outside of the spin. Did excel at the point of attack in the running game against double teams.
Thursday Practice Notes: Did not practice due to injury.
Analysis: Arguably the most disappointing week when compared to his draft status entering said week. Kiwanuka struggled greatly in his pass rush, still displaying a complete lack of moves. Stronger against the run, but not a great presence. Ended the week with an injury and his status for the game is up in the air.

Maingold-ohio st center- is worth looking at in rd 2 if he is there.. i know we have preston....forget about that .. i was convinced when he dominated watson from mich during the big game in nov. Now he comes in and has a great week in mobile..

Nick Mangold OL Ohio State 6032 297 10 1/8 31 7/8
Weigh-In Notes: Needs weight room work.

Monday Practice Notes: Outstanding afternoon. Technically sound and properly placed his hands into defenders then controlled them at the point of attack. Really improved his standing in the eyes of scouts.
Tuesday Practice Notes: This center prospect had complete control of the middle of the line today. Often there was a strong push behind Mangold opening space for running backs. He also has a little nasty streak finishing all of his blocks. The one area Mangold struggled was in agility drills where his lateral movement was sub par.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Saw some action at guard today. Mangold continued to show ample strength as he was able to wall off some of the stronger and larger defensive tackles. His lateral quickness has to be brought into question as well as his ability to get to the second level effectively. Does recognize well and “climbed the ladder” effectively in pass protection.
Thursday Practice Notes: Has consistently manhandled the middle of the line all week. This power comes from his pad level. He showed again today with his technique that he consistently plays lower than the man he is matched up against. Also showed some nice recognition in pass protection, picking up free blitzes as he “climbed the ladder”.
Analysis: One of the more impressive prospects during the week. Mangold consistently manhandled the middle of the line and got great push. Plays with a fantastic pad level, technically sound, strong as an ox, and even showed a nasty streak during the week. The question on Mangold is his overall athleticism, at times struggling with his lateral movement and getting to blocks on the second level. One things is for certain, the defensive tackles on the North squad will be happy they do not have to face Mangold anymore on a daily basis.

And now my pick for the bills in rd 2......Charles Spencer-LG-PITT In case some of you missed it ..I posted about a month ago that i dreamed (no joke) that the bills drafted the guy in rd 1.. I woke right away mad as you know what....Theni did some research.. Hmm he might not be a 1 .. but at a darn good #2 pick.

Well you all can judge for your self on saturday

Charles Spencer OL Pittsburgh 6045 338 10 1/8 34
Weigh-In Notes: Very flabby with minimal tone.

Monday Practice Notes: Terrific practice. Dominated opponents all afternoon, not giving up an inch of space. Stayed square and easily controlled defenders once he got his hands into them.
Tuesday Practice Notes: The one player who got the best of Gabe Watson today, by even pan caking Watson once. Spencer showed the ability to get to the second level as well as nice lateral movement. His punches were late quite often most of the day though.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Solid all around today. Arguably the best day of all the line prospects. Continually had solid fits on his blocks all day. Showed exceptional strength with his punch.
Thursday Practice Notes: Big and strong, but lacked solid lateral movement today.
Analysis: Quietly had an excellent week. Spencer continuously got solid fits on his blocks, strong at the point of attack, and could get to the second level. Questions can be raised about his lateral movement and punch. Rarely was caught out of position and generally executed every block asked of him. Solidified himself as a top guard prospect.

More to come

Bmax

LifetimeBillsFan
01-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks BMax!

Are these your own personal observations of these players or are you getting them from one of the sources that are observing the practices down there?

If these are your own observations, how do you have the LOTs there ranked? I'm particularly interested in how the guys likely to be around in Rd. # 2, like Trueblood of BC and the kid from Boise State (can't remember his name off the top of my head right now), are doing. Also, Eric Winston, if he's there.

McNeil not doing well doesn't really surprise me: he was making similar kinds of mistakes in his bowl game and was consistently getting beat in that game, too. McNeil has great size and looks good, but doesn't seem to be as dominating as he should be with his physical talents.

Bert102176
01-27-2006, 03:16 AM
have to pick Ngata at #8 if he's there he is a beast at DT

Saratoga Slim
01-27-2006, 09:26 AM
I like Ngata at #8. at this point in the game. it's real f-in early.

The Spaz
01-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Where did you copy this from, especially with the weigh in notes?

The Spaz
01-27-2006, 09:49 AM
You might wan to give a link to wheer you got this information from.

Jersey1031
01-27-2006, 09:52 AM
have to pick Ngata at #8 if he's there he is a beast at DT

Me too

Bmax
01-27-2006, 11:14 AM
from the billsreport.com i recently purchased a subscription...Good stufff...i guess i got nothing else to do with my money.....http://nfldraft.scout.com/

IT'S NOT FREE OF COURSE EXCEPT FOR SOME INFO..

I also have watched a lot of college football this season.... and plenty of the senior bowl practices...

From the practices brick looks good ... very fit .. extermely agile great feet....pass blocking super.. run needs work....also bunkley florida st .. wow .. watched a few games this season with florida st but this guy is better than i thought .. the one on one practice video i saw was eye opening... he beat his man regularly.. and was often to strong and too quick for some linmen to deal with..

here is a report on him ...

Brodrick Bunkley DL Florida State 6023 300 9 7/8 33 3/4
Weigh-In Notes: Looked like a monster- 300lbs with no fat.

Monday Practice Notes: Clearly the best defensive player on the field of the South squad. Showed fantastic penetration usually by blowing his offensive linemen off the ball. His quickness forced a fumble on a snap as well as registering the only “sack” of the day.
Tuesday Practice Notes: Yesterday’s South defensives star came down to earth today. Still a very solid and productive day on Bunkley’s half. Has a very nice combination of strength and quickness. His strength was highlighted with a hump move throwing a 320 lbs. guard to the ground. His quickness can get him in trouble at times. For example, Bunkley was driven two or three yards down the line on a simple downblock by the offensive tackle because he was trying to shoot the gap. But when asked to take on a straight double team, not an inch was given. One double team in particular were against the mammoth Max Jean-Gilles and Mike Degory, and Bunkley was not budged.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Did not practice due to injury.
Thursday Practice Notes:

Manny Lawson has been impressive also this week... scouts think he is going to be a 3-4 lb in the nfl....

More to come ...

Bmax

Bmax
01-27-2006, 11:22 AM
here is what they are saying about colledge and trueblood who looks like a rt...

Daryn Colledge OL Boise State 6040 295 9 3/8 32 3/4
Weigh-In Notes: Needs upper body work...flat chest.

Monday Practice Notes: Looked fundamentally very sound. Stopped Kiwanuka dead in his tracks during one pass blocking drill. Patient and intelligent. Used his hands very well.
Tuesday Practice Notes: Problems throughout the day began and ended with his poor hand work. Now he does possess a quick punch, but it is all over the place. It appears he does not quite grasp what his aiming point should be. There were times when he was beat clean because he never landed or was completely wide on his punch. At one point the coaching staff tried to correct the problem by having Colledge use a “flash” punch (meaning he automatically shot the hands off the snap whether he needed to or not).
Wednesday Practice Notes: Continues to show sloppy handwork. He wrestles defenders more than he initiates a proper punch. Saw some action at guard today. Had some problems in pass recognition during a defensive line stunt drill. Titans coaching staff feels Colledge is athletic enough to man one of the wings on the back wedge of the kick off.
Thursday Practice Notes: Possesses quick feet. His hand play improved overall today, but still winds up to much on his initial punch.
Analysis: Entered this week with the potential to really solidify himself as top prospect from a small school. Showed athleticism and quick feet to keep himself in the first day mix but needs tremendous amounts of work with his hand technique at the next level. At times Colledge looked like a pterodactyl winding up to take his punch, more often than not, missing his aiming point.

Jeremy Trueblood OL Boston College 6077 316 10 3/8 34
Weigh-In Notes: Flabby and needs weight room work.

Monday Practice Notes: Strong and displayed power but struggled all day handling speed rushers off the edge.
Tuesday Practice Notes: Terrible morning practice. Trueblood was at right tackle exclusively today and looked the part. Showed a slow kick step, played high, off balance, and was often taken advantage of by smaller and quicker defensive ends. His one redeeming quality was his ability to engulf some defenders in run blocking based purely on his size.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Saw playing time at both tackle position this afternoon. Pass blocking has continued to be suspect. Hands are continuously high and in the wrong position. As a result a couple holding and face masks could have been called on Trueblood. Also showed a weak post leg and gave up the underneath to a couple defenders. Did have one highlight pancake in the running game versus Tamba Hali.
Thursday Practice Notes: Struggled even with the pads off. Lacks any quickness on an island, plays too high, and his kick step was erratic.
Analysis: Made the transition to right tackle this week, but probably should have considered not making the trip at all. Trueblood had a horrendous week. His hand placement was all over the place (generally high). Trueblood might be a legit 6’7’ but that does not mean he HAS to play that high. Often driven back by much smaller defensives ends in pass protection. His quickness is pass protection was practically non existent. Trueblood’s one redeeming quality is the simple fact, he can be overwhelming at the point of attack because of his size.

Bmax

mysticsoto
01-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Here are some notes from what I've been reading on the Senior Bowl:

OL:

Brick - phenomenol player - but not as outstanding at run blocking.
Davin Joseph - Solid! Strong!!! Has long arms. Leveled Tamba Hali in practice!!!
Eric Winston - Quick of the snap. Good hands and footwork.
Jonathan Scott - showing potential as a left tackle. Turning scouts heads around!!!
Ryan Cook - Center - thumbs down, did better (okay) at the RT position.
Cody Douglas - struggled with speed.
Daryn Colledge - impressive against the run. Quick feet.
Ryan O'Callaghan - consistently good.
Marcus McNeil - Doesn't always play low enough - has trouble with speed.
Max Jean Gilles - inconsistent at times, but when he gets low, can control his opponent.
Charles Spencer- big and out of shape.

DL:

Gabe Watson - Impressive. Quick and powerful. Probably best suited in a 3-4 though.
Mathias Kiwanuka - limited # of moves...lacks variety. Decent strength and power though.
Broderick Bentley - impressive - has quickness and good power.
Parys Harralson - struggled, looked lost, and may have to switch to LB for the pros.
<!--StartFragment -->Kamerion Wimbley - explosive and quick. Tremendous physique.
Elvis Dumervil - liability against the run.
Darryl Tapp - struggling.
Victor Adenyaju - raw, needs alot of technique work.
Kyle Williams - good motor.

LB:

Chad Greenway - impressive, fast, a leader. Good coverage and motor.
Manny Lawson - likely to be a LB in a 3-4 scheme. Fast, solid - a monster with freakish ability. Most popular player being looked at by teams!!!
Demeco Ryans -great instincts.
Travis Williams - active and aggressive.
Clint Ingram - vocal and impressive athleticism on the field.
Thomas Howard - versatile.

DB:

Will Blackmon - natural, quick and smooth.
Tye Hill - speedy and athletic along with physical and aggressive, but doesn't play as fast as he times.
Darrell Hunter - quick feet and good ball skills - drawing attn from scouts
David Pittman - possible sleeper.
Kelly Jennings - very physical and looking good.
Marcus Hudson - good size and decent recovery speed.
Daniel Bullocks - not good at adjusting to the ball.

S:

Roman Harper - fair share of plays but does not change direction well
Pat Watkins - occasionally plays too high, but is big, smooth and athletic. Shows excellent range and ball skills. Scouts taking notice and are moving him up.
Demario Minter - smooth backpedaler.
Cedric Griffin - changes direction well.
Greg Blue - did not look natural in coverage.

WR:

Sinorice Moss - stands out with explosiveness!!! Has an extra gear...noticeably faster than others. Is standing out each and every time!!!
Derek Hagan - runs good routes. Good ball handling skills.
Maurice Stovall - impressing scouts!!! Not quick, but has good hands and is running good routes. Huge target. Has no fear of the middle and knows how to use his body to shield the ball from opponents.
Martin Nance - not overly fast, but goes after balls.
Michael Robinson - great speed and quickness.
Demetrius Williams - fast but has trouble beating a jam.
Jason Avant - shaky start, but starting to look better.
Hank Baskett - stuggling...

TE:

Dominique Byrd - impressive. Put on a good show. Making big plays.
TJ Williams - inconsistent. Drops balls frequently.
Marcedis Lews - average blocker but good at finding the open area to become a big target for a QB.

QB:

Jay Cutler - inconsistent at times. Alot like Kyle Boller.
Charlie Whitehurst - looking good - strong arm, sharp.

Team notes:

Miami is in full force with Saban and GM in attendance also.
Giants looking strongly at CBs
Jets looking at Olinemen
Dallas interested in Gabe Watson?
Niners interested in a RB? Looked alot at DeAngelo Williams.

Are the Bills even there? No mention of them at all!!!

ICE74129
01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Here is what the Bills need to be looking at...

Offensive line
Offensive Line
Offensive line
Defensive Tackle
Defensive tackle
Offensive line.........

We have enough 'skill players'. Time for meat and taters.

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Weigh-In Notes: Very flabby with minimal tone.

I didn't know Mikey was there. :fat:

DieHrdBillsFan23
01-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I believe the bills with draft either a DT or DE in the first. Brick will be gone before the bills get to pick at 8, and id love to see mario williams fall here to 8, or even ngata. After you get past brick, no O-Linemen stands out and is worthy enough to get consideration in the top 10, let alone the first round. In the 2nd round, look for the bills to get a CB, I love Alan Zematis from Penn State, Great Cover corner, speed, strength, and height. In the 3rd is where they will go and get either one or 2 Offensive Linemen. The guys here will be just as good as grabing someone in the 2nd round. The free agent pool this year is much better for o-linemen then d-linemen, so i see us not getting a o-line until atleast the 3rd because in free agency we can get 2-3 good linemen at good prices to help shore up the line.

mysticsoto
01-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Updates for today's session:

<!--StartFragment -->Quarterback Charlie Whitehurst threw some nice deep balls but struggled a bit with his accuracy and has not matched the form he showed during the first two days of practice.

Jay Cutler made good decisions and really threw the ball on a rope.

Wideout Derek Hagan made some plays and showed solid hands with the ability to snatch the ball out of the air.

Maurice Stovall was impressive once again, while both tight ends (Byrd & Klopfenstein) had drops.

On defense the standout was cornerback Tye Hill of Clemson, who plays the ball real well and had a great week overall. Look for Hill to move up after his performance in Mobile, possibly as high as late round one.

Safety Daniel Bullocks of Nebraska also continued to shine and he could ultimately go as high as his brother did a year ago.

<!--StartFragment -->OT Jon Scott is training in Houston and at the Scouting Combine next month he plans to run in the 4.9 range and hopefully get up to 30 reps in the bench press, which would be huge since strength is a big question that scouts have about him. Jon will be seeing time at right tackle as he volunteered to try that side after a couple of other high-profile tackle prospects on his team indicated they only wanted to play on the left side. Scott will also be long-snapping in the game as he has some experience there and was more than willing to do it. When asked about which teams were showing the most interest in his son. Ray's father mentioned Kansas City, San Diego and Miami as being the most prominent. Interestingly Nick Saban recruited Jon coming out of high school so he is obviously very familiar with him and Ray would love to see his son play for the Dolphins.

<!--StartFragment -->In speaking with an agent who, among others, represents Daniel Bullocks, Mike Bell, Fred Matua, Albert Toeaina, and Richard Marshall. He pointed out how Bullocks had 5 interceptions this week, that Mike Bell hopes to run in the 4.5 range and that Norv Turner really like Toeaina. Also, he said the New England Patriots and the Miami Dolphins both love cornerback Richard Marshall, which isn't surprising when you consider that he played for Pat Hill at Fresno St., who is also from that "Bill Belichick Tree" of coaches. In addition he also said that Matua is getting in good shape and that the reasons he went pro early are as follows: He is set to graduate in March, his mother is sick, he was losing a lot of talent around him and he wasn't going to be any taller a year from now.

Saratoga Slim
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
if the Jets are looking O-line, say goodbye to Brick. I've been hoping that Cutler's stock goes far enough north that there are three QBs taken before our pick, and maybe Lendale White too. That will almost ensure Ngata falls, and maybe even push Mario Williams or Brick back to #8. I'm feeling good about this draft, we should be able to land either the top Tackle, DT, or DE. it seems unlikely that at least one of the three will still be there for us

Saratoga Slim
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
if the Jets are looking O-line, say goodbye to Brick. I've been hoping that Cutler's stock goes far enough north that there are three QBs taken before our pick, and maybe Lendale White too. That will almost ensure Ngata falls, and maybe even push Mario Williams or Brick back to #8. I'm feeling good about this draft, we should be able to land either the top Tackle, DT, or DE. it seems unlikely that at least one of the three won't still be there for us

Saratoga Slim
01-27-2006, 02:24 PM
sorry for the double post. itchy trigger finger.

Saratoga Slim
01-27-2006, 02:26 PM
sorry for the double post. itchy trigger finger.

mysticsoto
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
if the Jets are looking O-line, say goodbye to Brick. I've been hoping that Cutler's stock goes far enough north that there are three QBs taken before our pick, and maybe Lendale White too. That will almost ensure Ngata falls, and maybe even push Mario Williams or Brick back to #8. I'm feeling good about this draft, we should be able to land either the top Tackle, DT, or DE. it seems unlikely that at least one of the three won't still be there for us

I was hoping that the Jets would either go for QB (thinking Pennington is too fragile to last a whole season) or for RB...Curtis Martin is getting old and the Jets could easily have the 2nd best RB out there (maybe DeAngelo Williams ?). But then again, if Brick is gone, maybe I prefer Davin Joseph in the 2nd rd anyway. This guy looks like he's a mean SOB and Guard is where we need help mostly anyway. It'd be nice if Mario was still there for our 1st though. Getting a decent DT in FA shouldn't be too hard, and with two DEs that can get to the QBs, we would never even need our CBs! :D:

Saratoga Slim
01-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I was hoping that the Jets would either go for QB (thinking Pennington is too fragile to last a whole season) or for RB...Curtis Martin is getting old and the Jets could easily have the 2nd best RB out there (maybe DeAngelo Williams ?). But then again, if Brick is gone, maybe I prefer Davin Joseph in the 2nd rd anyway. This guy looks like he's a mean SOB and Guard is where we need help mostly anyway. It'd be nice if Mario was still there for our 1st though. Getting a decent DT in FA shouldn't be too hard, and with two DEs that can get to the QBs, we would never even need our CBs! :D:

I agree that there's probably a better chance of finding a free agent DT that can take up space in the middle than a free agent DE worth the money. I like most of what I've heard about Mario Williams so far, I'd be pleased with him in the first, and a OL pick in the second. by my count there are five solid tackle prospects in Ferguson, Winston Justice, Eric Winston, Marcus McNeill and Jonathon Scott. Throw in Nick Mangold, Max Jean-Gilles, and Devin Joseph and probably one or two more I'm forgetting at the moment, and I would be pretty confident that we'll find an offensive lineman worth taking with our second round pick. Seems like D'Brick is the only OL that everybody's sure is a top 10 guy at this point, so unless he's still on the Board, I think Mario or Ngata would be the way to go in the first round

Mario Williams would be a deal at #8. I do like Ngata though, seems like a class act as well as a monster in the middle. I wouldn't be disappointed if we grab him instead of Williams, especially cause there seems to be some concern about Williams as a run stopper. I'd feel better if I knew fer sure we had a good DT waiting in free agency b/c our run D needs serious help.

Either way, Ngata or Wiliams, the DL gets a significant upgrade.

kgun12
01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I would love a chance a Gabe Watson from Michigan. My wife is a huge Michigan fan, so we watch them every weekend. This kids motor doesn't stop.