• THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

So is Bates out?

that is what WGR is reporting.....
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: So is Bates out?

At this point I don't want the guy honestly. To me he is too self serving and is looking for a HC Gig. He is a spurned coach right now and that means he wouldn't focus 100% on us.

I also want a guy that will be here for at least 2 years. Bates won't be that guy.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
      • Jun 2005

I want Ted Cotrell or Mike Singletary( SP?)

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

I hope it's not going to be some schmuck assistant from Orlando State College of Nebraska or something.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

A little birdie in the press has just emailed me to say the same thing. Bates doesn't want the job.

He wants to sit out a year and see if he can get a HC Gig next year. That is the #1 reason I had concerns with the guy.

I say give singletary a shot.

Comment

• FirstDownBills
            Your rebirth can't hurt
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
            At this point I don't want the guy honestly. To me he is too self serving and is looking for a HC Gig. He is a spurned coach right now and that means he wouldn't focus 100% on us.

I also want a guy that will be here for at least 2 years. Bates won't be that guy.
            Agreed.

Marv Levy Era

Regular Season Record: 0-0-0
            Playoff Record: 0-0
            Super Bowl Appearances: 0
            Super Bowl Wins: 0

Comment

• T-Long
              Circling the Wagons since 1982.
              • Sep 2003

Why would Singletary want to come to Buffalo when he is the Assistant Head Coach in San Fran?

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Is he the DC? I just thought he was the LB coach?

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

LMAO It is too bad Teddy C called ralph a racist on his way out huh? That hasn't bit him in the ass now has it?

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Singletary would be a good choice, He seems like he's motivated a good teacher and wants to make a big impression in the NFL as a coach. He also has that fiery attitude you want in a DC.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

he was head and shoulders better than what is left otherwise.. this is definately a little depressing.

sherman turned us down for OC.. bates turns us down for DC..

what do you guys think? is this a money issue or possibly an issue with the front office (ie, the reason MM left)
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

i dont think there is any way cotrell comes back.. regardless of the racist comment.. he also runs a 3-4.. Jauron doesnt..

it wont happen..

we will have an inexperienced OC and an inexperienced DC.. which is basically the two biggest things that we could not have since our head coach is a "deligator".

and please dont start with the "Fairchild has tons of experience" thing.. he has never been a successful OC for an nfl team for a full year.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          he was head and shoulders better than what is left otherwise.. this is definately a little depressing.

sherman turned us down for OC.. bates turns us down for OC..

what do you guys think? is this a money issue or possibly an issue with the front office (ie, the reason MM left)

Nah T I honestly don't think it was RALPHS money. I do think both men feel they are head coaches. Both feel they will get a HC gig next year. It was about money alright...the guarenteed money from Green bay they get for sitting.

So in reality I don't want ether here. I want coordinators that will be in buffalo for 2-3 years.

Stability is the main thing we lack. 4 HC's in about 8 years? That is flat stupid. No way in hell can this team be successful that way. we will now be on our 4th offensive system in the last 5 years alone! WCO and chuck and duck under GW. God knows what under MM and now Fairchilds system. how can you be successful that way?

DJ needs no less than 4-5 years uninterupted. We need coordinators here for at least 3 hopefully longer beause ralph follows the trend and pays out the butt to keep them. THEN I feel we will end up being successful.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

I don't think we should worry much about Sherman turning down the OC job. It would take a seriously humble dude to take an OC position after losing out in the HC interview process. it would be like John Kerry agreeing to serve as Bush's Vice President. I think he would have taken the HC gig if offered, and to me that says he didn't have a problem with the front office or money.

I think Bates, like ICE said, wants to be a HC and, as far as we know, the Bills offered a contract with restrictions to keep him here for a couple years. Even if the money Ralph offered was fair, a retrictive covenant might have been enough to scare him off.

To sum up, I just dont think Sherman wanted to be an OC under the guy that beat him, or an OC at all maybe. And I don't think we know enough about the Bates deal to draw any conclusions as to what might have soured things (if they are in fact soured)
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                              i dont think there is any way cotrell comes back.. regardless of the racist comment.. he also runs a 3-4.. Jauron doesnt..

it wont happen..

we will have an inexperienced OC and an inexperienced DC.. which is basically the two biggest things that we could not have since our head coach is a "deligator".

and please dont start with the "Fairchild has tons of experience" thing.. he has never been a successful OC for an nfl team for a full year.
                              Cottrell ran a 4-3 in NY and Minnesota so I dont think that would be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X