PDA

View Full Version : Mad TV

AndreReed83
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I was just watching an old episode of Mad TV on Comedy Central. It got to the part when the cast stands on stage at the end of the show. It was a Superbowl episode, Green Bay vs New England, so I believe that makes it 1996.

Anyway, Orlando Jones got to do the ending monologue. This is more or less what he said:

*holds up check* "Attention Buffalo Bills! I will pay you ONE THOUSAND dollars to move your team to LA. Come on, it's 20 below up there. I will pay you 500 now and 500 when you get here... 50 more to bring your cheerleaders. We even have TWO stadiums, just pick the one that isn't jinxed." He then went on to pick out some names for a potential LA team.

I just found it humorous that this discussion was going on even in 1996!

tat2dmike77
01-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Last night i was talking with my professor after class or it was during break. We usually talk about football and stuff get's my mind off the class.

Well we were chatting about the california NFL situation. He was basically saying that he believes LA wont get a team for awhile. He said that there 2 teams in cali that suck already so why bring in a 3rd? He also said that USC is basically like a pro team anyway.

I just find it funny that LA wants a team. But when they had one it was mostly fair weather fans and the city was to cheap to build them a new stadium.

THATHURMANATOR
01-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Don't get Playa started Guys!

L.A. Playa
01-27-2006, 04:25 PM
get your information staright before you comment about the Los Angeles situation and for your information the reconstruction of the LA Memorial Coliseum will start either later this year or next year and ther will be an NFL franchise to start the 2009 season in Los Angeles also the owner of the Angels wants to bring a team to ANaheim

There was never a lack of support or fairweather fans in LA tehre where 2 greedy owners in LA and local officials wouldnt bow down and kiss their ass so they went to places that would

tat2dmike77
01-27-2006, 04:36 PM
get your information staright before you comment about the Los Angeles situation and for your information the reconstruction of the LA Memorial Coliseum will start either later this year or next year and ther will be an NFL franchise to start the 2009 season in Los Angeles also the owner of the Angels wants to bring a team to ANaheim

There was never a lack of support or fairweather fans in LA tehre where 2 greedy owners in LA and local officials wouldnt bow down and kiss their ass so they went to places that would

Ok dude i was just stating my professor thought when he was living out there.

Gunzlingr
01-27-2006, 04:42 PM
I love the LA mentality that you see at Laker games. Show up 15 or more minutes late and leave 15 or more minutes early. That is dedication!

L.A. Playa
01-27-2006, 04:45 PM
do you actually know why people are late for Laker games ???

there is a little thing here in LA called traffic and parking around the Staples Center which is in Downtown L.A. is usually at a premium and if there is an event going on next door at the LA convention center at the same time it can causae alot of traffic delays, get your facts straight before you try to bash another city

Gunzlingr
01-27-2006, 04:49 PM
do you actually know why people are late for Laker games ???

there is a little thing here in LA called traffic and parking around the Staples Center which is in Downtown L.A. is usually at a premium and if there is an event going on next door at the LA convention center at the same time it can causae alot of traffic delays, get your facts straight before you try to bash another city

Dude, I am not bashing a city! My best friend is a huge lakers fan and watches every game. He just told me that sometimes the fans don't start rolling in until after the first quarter, and leave after the third. If traffic was an issue, why don't they just leave home earlier? :idunno: I just reported on what he always tells me.

Mudflap1
01-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Guys,

Allow me to dig in a little here. As some of you may know, I live in Orange County (just south of Los Angeles). I am from the East Coast (Philadelphia) originally, and am a Bills fan through and through. One of the biggest misconceptions in sports is that Los Angeles is completely apathetic towards football with "bad" fans.

I moved out here in 2000, but I have had family out here for a long time, and had visited the area often since the early 90s. I actually did a marketing research project back in college on bringing a pro football franchise to Los Angeles and why it failed the first time (two times technically). Some interesting points:

-Playa is correct. Georgia Frontiere and Al Davis are as rogue of owners as there ever were.
-Anaheim Stadium was in bad shape. It is in much better now that it has been touched up and is baseball only. It's renovation left it practically brand new. Also, the city of Anaheim as a whole as undergone a lot of changes since the early to mid 90s. Anaheim used to be a complete dump. Now, there is a lot of growth and a rebirth going on. Disney has undergone some radical upgrades, there are a lot more hotels, malls, parks, etc. It's a much nicer place now.
-the Coliseum is a horrible venue. It's in one of the worst neighborhoods in Los Angeles. The Raiders fans that attended consisted of a bunch of gang members with weapons in the stands smoking joints. It was dangerous.
-with college football, you can pack the venue with 100,000 plus and not worry about luxury boxes. With the NFL, you need stadiums with luxury boxes. You can get away with 60,000 capacity if it has nice luxury boxes. Neither stadium was adequately equipped, and that's the specific reason the Raiders moves. Oakland has a lot more luxury boxes.
-the city is spread out. Without traffic, it takes you at least 45 minutes to get to the Coliseum from anywhere, if not longer. With traffic (and there's ALWAYS traffic), it would take you more along the lines of an hour to hour and a half, at least. Anaheim Stadium is in Orange County, so if you live in the northern areas of L.A., it's going to take you probably an hour and a half or longer.
-yes, it's true that there are some fans out here who show up to Dodgers' games in the 2nd or 3rd inning, or come to Lakers' games midway in the first quarter, etc. However, there are 18 million + people out here, and most didn't grow up here. There a lot of football fans, die-hard football fans. And there are a lot of deep pockets. There is definitely interest out here.
-the teams both stunk for years. Interest often is lacking once the team is a perennial loser. Show me any perennial loser out there and I'll show you rumors about moving.
-the weather. Honestly, it's sunny and 70 every day out here. If you lived 50 miles away from the stadium, it was in a terrible area, terrible venue, the team was terrible, and you'd have to brace traffic, what would you rather do, go to the game, or sit at home and watch the game out on your deck while sipping a margarita, or take a radio to the beach and listen to the game, or got a bar with some friends and sit outside and watch the game?

It's not that there is a lack of interest, it's that the logistics of it are difficult to get around. Location is key. If the next site is a good location with good traffic patterns, people will be able to get to the games easier. If the stadium is decent and in a decent neighborhood, that will help also. People want to go an enjoy themselves at the game and have fun with the whole experience, not be scared about walking to your car after sundown because you'll get jacked, all of this after braving the game for 3 hours in a stadium that looks like it's about to crumble at any second. The last factor is of course the competitive nature of the team. The Lakers are competitive, they have no trouble selling out. The Angels were one of the biggest draws last year. Dodgers are always near the top. The Angels are a great success story about a team that was down-and-out in a bad venue. They brought in some players, renovated the stadium and the surrounding area, and marketed the team well. Now they are one of the most vogue teams in baseball. It can be done with football, it just wasn't done here last time.

Jon

L.A. Playa
01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Im just messing with ya Gunz ya know you are the homie, first off Laker games are events for many corporations and Hollywood people. SO they like to make their appearance at the games they arent interested in the game. There are many die hard Laker fans here that cant get or afford tickets to the games, they are very hard ticket to get a hold of, but there are many traffic and parking issues around Staples too

AndreReed83
01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Dang, I posted this to get a laugh about the prospects of Buffalo being moved to LA even in 1996. I had no clue it would start this big debate!

L.A. Playa
01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Plus they have cleaned up the area around the Coliseum alot since the Raiders have left town.

justasportsfan
01-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I love the LA mentality that you see at Laker games. Show up 15 or more minutes late and leave 15 or more minutes early. That is dedication! Kinda like Miami.